SCCP News Release

  • fisher_daniel@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2006
      NEWS RELEASE

      Calling Plan Established for Boy Scout Camps

      By Daniel Fisher, AI4GK
      South Brevard County, Florida PIO, ARRL

      A small group of Amateur Radio operators who also are involved in Boy Scouts of America (BSA) recently established a calling plan for Boy Scout camps.

      In late April, Nathaniel Frissell, W2NAF, posed a challenge, of sorts, to members of the Scout Radio Yahoo group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScoutRadio, to come up with a summer camp net so that Scouts can talk to one another. Frissell said, “Scout camp radio stations are often frustrated when they have limited times to get on the air and can’t find anyone to talk with.”

      What happened was astounding. After a very few weeks of discussion led by Frank Krizan, KR1ZAN, President of the K2BSA Amateur Radio Association, the Scout Radio members came up with an HF calling plan, dubbed Scout Camps Calling Protocol, or SCCP. According to Krizan, SCCP is not a net, but rather, a plan for ham-Scouts and Scouters throughout the United States, Canada and the world to make contact with other Scouts and Scouters for Radio Merit Badge requirements, Amateur Radio demonstrations, emergency preparedness, passing NTS traffic, or any other purpose, including ragchewing. “The intent is to encourage camps and folks at home to get on the air at prescribed times and provide radio contacts for scouts at camp – for many of whom this will be their first amateur radio contact,” said Krizan. The plan is broad-based, and with the many camps and time zones, the likelihood of a Scout camp contacting another specific camp is slim. Ham-Scouters and other interested hams not at camp are encouraged to support to Scouts and Scouters who are attending camp by providing contacts for them.

      The SCCP plan’s strength is its simplicity.
      1. Scout camps, and any interested ham-Scouters not at camp, are encouraged to get on the air at 1300, 1900, and 2100 hours local time.
      2. Calling times extend from 5 minutes before to 5 minutes after the hour. The recognized call will be “CQ SCOUT CAMPS.”
      3. Use the traditional Scout calling frequencies, +/- 10 KHz, avoiding any nets. http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/jota.html#frequencies has additional information.
      BAND SSB CW
      80 Meters 3.740 / 3.940 MHz 3.590 MHz
      40 Meters 7.270 MHz * 7.030 MHz
      20 Meters 14.290 MHz ** 14.070 MHz ***
      4. There are two frequency bands for each time. Participating stations will use the higher band during the 5 minutes before the hour and the lower band during the 5 minutes after the hour to maximize propagation conditions.
      5. The bands to use are:
      1. Daytime (1300 and 1900 hours): 20m/40m.
      2. Nighttime (2100 hours): 40m/80m.
      6. Scout camps, Scouts and Scouters from the United States, Canada, and the rest of the world are encouraged to monitor according to the plan from 1700Z to 2000Z and from 2300Z to 0400Z to support Scout camps with traffic handling and talking with Scouts.

      *7.270 might be unusable in the evening and night hours due to Asian broadcast stations. Tune up or down to find an opening.
      **Avoid 14.300, since the Maritime Mobile Service Net and the Intercontinental Traffic Net use this frequency.
      ***Although 14.070 is listed as the Scout CW calling frequency, do not use it because it is the international PSK-31 frequency. Suggested frequency is 14.065. Please refer to the following link for more details.
      http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/JOTA.htm
      Bob Bruninga, WB4APR, developer of Automatic Position Reporting System (APRS) and another avid ham-Scouter, has added the following suggestions for Scout camps and ham-Scouters equipped with APRS.
      1. If your camp has APRS, send a message to SCOUTS at the beginning and end of all operating periods. An APRS message to SCOUTS will be retransmitted everywhere in the USA and the world where SCOUTS has been added to the automatic “pass-to-RF” at the local IGate.
      2. Contact the local IGate that serves your camp area and ask the SYSOP to include “SCOUTS” in its automatic “pass-to-RF” list. This way, you can receive, in real time, any other SCOUTS messages in the world alerting you of other stations on the air.
      3. Make sure that your station is using the APRS symbol for Scouts. That way, any other station in the world can check the APRS FINDU Web page and see live which other SCOUT stations are on the air.
      http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/symbol.cgi?icon=/,&limit=2000

      The Scout Camp Calling Protocol was originally published in the OCARG EAGLE, an e-Zine dedicated to RadioScouting. The editor is Fred Stevens, K2FRD. Current and archived copies of the EAGLE are available at http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/ocarg.htm Scouts and scouters interested in RadioScouting are encouraged to subscribe to the OCARG EAGLE, free of charge. Our thanks to Fred and the EAGLE for permission to use parts of his article in this report.

      Nathaniel Frissell, W2NAF, a very active ham-Scouter from Bloomfield, New Jersey, runs the technology program and Amateur Radio activities at Forestburg Scout Reservation (W2FSR) in Forestburgh, NY. The program includes a Technician license class and VE sessions each week during the camp. During the summer of 2005, Nathaniel also served on the K2BSA staff at the National Boy Scout Jamboree at Fort A.P. Hill, VA.

      Daniel Fisher, AI4GK is a ham-Scouter and a public information officer for the American Radio Relay League (ARRL) in Palm Bay, Florida. He has assisted in operating JOTA stations in South Brevard County, Florida for several years and regularly operates HF and VHF stations at Boy Scout camps. Dan previously has contributed Scouting stories to the ARRL Web site. He can be contacted at ai4gk@....
    • Robert Bruninga
      Message 2 of 3 , May 30, 2006
        This is a great idea.
        I have added a link to it on my Shacks-4-Packs
        idea page for alerting scouts at the mess-hall
        of where the ham-shack-of-the-week is in camp.

        http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/shacks4packs.html

        Bob, Wb4APR

        >>> fisher_daniel@... 05/30/06 4:47 PM >>>
[...]

        Visit the Adventure Radio Society: http://www.natworld.com/ars/

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • ravennaelectronics
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 13, 2006
          This is a great! I am glad to see more involvment. I will be
          taking my HF field station to Camp Gerber Scout Camp this summer
          when I am doing Camp Commissioner. I will be setting it up and
          allowing for Scouts and Scouters to make contacts. I will be there
          for a week in July and then again for a week in August. I know of
          other Scouters/amateur radio operators that are going to bring an HF
          field station with them as well.

          73
          Doc, KD8BGQ