Re: [ScoutRadio] UK Foundation License for foreigners?

  • Malcolm - G4CXT
    Message 1 of 3 , May 26, 2006
      Paul

      I suggest that you try to ask the question directly of the UK administrator, Ofcom:

      http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/licensing/

      As a member of the European Community its an interesting legal point about where national jurisdictions begin and end.  I suspect that similar questions might be asked about driving licences for example!

      Ofcom, whose primary role is communications seem singularly bad at proving a clear communications channel from their website to ask such questions - however, take a look and see.

      73

      Malcolm  G4CXT

      PA5UL wrote:
      For some time I've been trying to find out if foreigners can apply for the UK Foundation License. Googling didn't provide me with an answer. The new license apparently sparks a lot of interest from young people into the hobby, but unfortunately the idea is not taken over by a many other countries (yet). In my opinion, it might quite well be very worthwile to try and set up special activities at dedicated(?) holiday camps or perhaps at the World Jamboree next year.

      Before I start anything I'd like to know:
      1. Is UK nationality or residency required to take the test?
      2. If not, is either required to obtain a UK Foundation callsign?
      3. Do UK Foundation Licensees enjoy any reciprocal facilities abroad?
      4. Can foreigners (i.e. me ;-) become examinators in this program?

      Can anyone involved in the program conclusively answer any of the above? If the idea seems feasible, could you forward me the curriculum?

      YIS es 73 de Paul PA5UL
      Radio Interested Scout RIS#410
      "Chikai" Cub Scout Master, Sionee Pack, Scouting Ashanti, Zoetermeer, The Netherlands

      Malcolm - G4CXT