RE: HT in Philmont

  • Neil Lauritsen
    Message 1 of 2 , May 22 6:20 PM
       I can tell you from experience that I wish I had my HT with me for my Philmont Trek a number of years ago.

      We had two incidents which required a much faster and a more organized method of dealing with the situation.
      1)  My crew of 9 scouts included one mentally challanged scout who was NOT enjoying the 90 miles of hiking.
       He caused the crew to miss 2 of their scheduled events simply because he poked along so slowly that we ended up getting  there too late. Every scout in the crew tried in vain to buddy up to him and help make his and their experience a more enjoyable one. He ended up running off and was lost overnight (actually hiding and ignoring our calls to him we walked by him 3 times before he was eventually found by Rangers) I had to send scouts in both directions to locate him and it was not until we saw him riding in the back of a Rangers pick-up did we know he was safe and sound. An Ht would have allowed us to contact Camp HQ and let them know our situation. Scarry for all to say the least.
      2) The second incident was with another crew who Adult leader became ill and unable to continue. Getting him help and to medical attention would have been so much quicker if we had radio comms. I took on that crew in addition to my own until they received a replacement Adult leader. Those kind of incidents should encourage any scout camp to allow Amateur Radios to be taken along on hikes away from base camp.

      Neil, W4NHL
      Wood Badge 82-39-44
      Perm. Patrol Leader - Free Roam'n Buffalo Patrol (When the Chips are down..We will back you up)