Re: [scoutradio] Radio Merit Badge

  • John Bednar
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 12, 2000
      > Hi my name is max and I will be teaching the radio merit badge
      > at a summer
      > camp this summer. any suggestions from anybody?

      Max,

      I was a Radio Merit badge counselor for our troop
      at 1999 Summer Camp. You probably know that the
      requirements for the merit badge are in the front
      of the book and everything is explained in the
      text. The boys will be learning things that they have
      never been exposed to so don't be disappointed
      if most of the boys find other merit badges to work on.

      I took a few dipoles, a car battery, a charger, and a
      IC-706 to camp. We had a great hilltop location
      in the woods and the boys
      were really interested to talk with hams that were
      scouts when they were younger. They really got a
      kick out of watching me work stations on CW and
      were really interested in what the other station was
      sending in code. I also had along the ARRL world map
      so we could point to the DX locations. I made QSL
      cards on my printer with the Troop number and
      the event. The boys completed and signed the QSL
      card after each contact.

      We tried to arrange schedules with another troop
      but we never made contact. The plan last year was
      to use the posted JOTA frequencies. I expect to do the
      same thing this year. I have been taking the 706 on
      other trips since summer camp and some boys really
      look forward to setting up the antenna and tuning
      around. One ham answered our CQ's during summer camp
      and then again when we were in Salem, MA. The boys
      got a kick out of talking to him months later. He mentioned
      the QSL card that he received from Summer Camp.

      K3CT/3 will be on the air July 9 to July 14 from Northeast
      PA.

      John, K3CT
      k3ct@...