RE: Re: [ScoutRadio] Carrying an HT at Philmont

  • Frank Krizan
    Message 1 of 17 , May 21, 2006

      Hi all,

      Do a search on scoutradio at yahoogroups.com for “communicator chit” and “radio chit”.   It doesn’t contain the actual requirements, but, will give those who weren’t part of the original discussion some insight into what was being discussed.

      With Bob’s help, maybe we can resurrect the discussion and come up with something that could be used for training, requirements, and the actual “chit.”

      73, Frank

      From: "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga@...>
      Date: 2006/05/20 Sat AM 10:32:10 EDT
      To: <fisher_daniel@...>,  <ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [ScoutRadio] Carrying an HT at Philmont

      >...my theory is that any Scout or adult Scouter who is a
      >ham should bring a radio along to just about any and
      >every event.

      I would modify that receommendation slightly to say:
      "...any scout or adult leader who is a ham should
      check the camp regulations and requirment and
      make sure well before hand to check the words that
      appear in most parental-guidance advisorys to
      the effect of " NO RADIOS OR ELECTRONICS IN CAMP".

      And to begin lobbying NOW and immediatelly to get
      all such references CHANGED to read something like:

      "NO ENTERTAINMENT OR ELECTRONIC RADIOS OR TOYS
      IN CAMP"...

      Visit the Adventure Radio Society: http://www.natworld.com/ars/

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      Visit the Adventure Radio Society: http://www.natworld.com/ars/

      Date
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Date+idea&w1=Date+idea&w2=Ideas&w3=Radi
      o&w4=Scouter&w5=Outdoors&c=5&s=64&.sig=mCQpztFx1dCxCxZJgKqgvg>  idea

      Ideas
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ideas&w1=Date+idea&w2=Ideas&w3=Radio&w4
      =Scouter&w5=Outdoors&c=5&s=64&.sig=sFDpcZH02g8_D_cunMHWvQ>

      Radio
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Radio&w1=Date+idea&w2=Ideas&w3=Radio&w4
      =Scouter&w5=Outdoors&c=5&s=64&.sig=rXaAUpc4EgpHkbW-U4ExDQ>

      Scouter
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Scouter&w1=Date+idea&w2=Ideas&w3=Radio&
      w4=Scouter&w5=Outdoors&c=5&s=64&.sig=A3BwF8viSzYYm_WfU68EiA>

      Outdoors
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Date+idea&w2=Ideas&w3=Radio
      &w4=Scouter&w5=Outdoors&c=5&s=64&.sig=tt2xr8fjVGG_qGcU2eL1fg>

        _____

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      *      Visit your group "ScoutRadio
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScoutRadio> " on the web.

      *      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>  Terms of Service.

        _____

    • Chris Kelly
      Message 2 of 17 , May 21, 2006
        Hello Steve:
        As another message in this string answered your question, yes
        do take your radio. When our crew did Philmont in 2004
        we found a ham working in the Base Camp dining hall (wearing his callsign)
        and he gave us great info about the evening nets that year.
        Several backcountry camps had hams on the staff and would meet
        (I believe on 146.52 if I remember) each evening at 8 PM. The staffer at Base
        also monitored almost all the time he was off-duty.
        Wear your callsign around basecamp and advertize that you are hams,
        to help meet other hams. Everyone is pretty busy but the callsign will
        probably grab another ham's attention and you can learn what's up this year.
        Conserve battery power and operate evenings, there are few places
        to recharge anything, but you will probably find some ham operations
        there among the staffers.
        73 and have a good trek,
        Chris Kelly, K0PF
      • Chris Kelly
        Message 3 of 17 , May 22, 2006
          Additional Considerations upon further thought:

          1. Philmont is an experience almost unique, in that you really get away
          from phones, news, wars, scandals, computers, politics, etc for two weeks.
          Don't let the HT detract from that experience.
          I believe we turned on our HT (one for the whole crew, which had three
          hams) about 3 times during the trek, in the evenings.
          It was some comfort against accident, because we may be able to get
          help more quickly if we reached someone by radio from the back country, but
          the
          staffed camps are not that far apart, and are the normal first place to go
          for help.
          The only other use was in celebrating the ascent of Mount Phillips, where we
          talked to a ham in Angelfire via the Angelfire repeater.

          2. Consider the weight seriously. The last two days of our trek (very long
          days with a couple thousand feet elevation gain/loss) I was wishing
          I hadn't brought the weight of those three extra postage stamps! At
          equipment shakeout on checkin you will be urged to reduce weight every
          possible way.
          Our crew shared our sunscreen, duct tape, and almost everything
          except underwear so we would only have to carry one of each item.
          (We immediately shed SOME of the cooking pots they checked out to us.)
          Lightweight cameras are worth it, radios are a tradeoff you have to make,
          and should be based on your willingness/ability to carry that weight for
          however many miles you plan to hike.

          I don't change my opinion of "yes", but I wanted to further discuss the
          issues surrounding the question (besides, it was Ted WB0TSX that
          carried the radio, not me!)

          73,
          Chris Kelly, K0PF
        • Gary Wilson
          Message 4 of 17 , May 22, 2006
            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga@...>
            wrote:

            > And to begin lobbying NOW and immediatelly to get
            > all such references CHANGED to read something like:
            >
            > "NO ENTERTAINMENT OR ELECTRONIC RADIOS OR TOYS
            > IN CAMP"...
            >
            > Because we want to make sure that ALL scouts and
            > leaders are WELCOME to bring their HAM radios
            >
            > Good luck. It takes a lot of effort to get these
            > words changed....

            Bob:

            While in my 35 years of Scouting, I've never seen any kid told that
            they can't bring a ham radio to camp, there's probably a better way
            to get the message out than trying to lobby 300 councils and 100,000
            units about their individual rules that might inadvertantly
            proscribe HT's.

            I suggest you bring it up with Mike Brown, WB2JWD, who as author of
            the Radio Merit Badge pamphlet and coordinator of the K2BSA effort
            at the National Jamboree, has a bit of influence at National Council.

            Perhaps he could have the desirablity of units having back-up
            emergency communications such as Ham HT's added to the "Guide to
            Safe Scouting" which all councils and units must follow. The Guide
            to Safe Scouting is updated about every two years. The bulletins to
            National Jamboree contingent leaders always tell hams to bring their
            HT's along, so it's just expanding Jamboree practice to home troops
            and councils. And that is one of the functions of the Jamboree.

            That way we could also promote the positive aspects of Amateur Radio
            to everyone who reads the national publication, instead of acting
            like folks who are looking for some special dispensation from a
            local rule.

            73 & YIS,

            Gary Wilson, K2GW
            Unit Commissioner
            Central New Jersey Council, BSA
          • Stephen M. Shearer
            Message 5 of 17 , May 24, 2006
              Dan,

              You could look at UofS and JOTA on the same weekend as an opportunity to
              spread the RADIO message to BSA. Set up a JOTA station at the University of
              Scouting event and make it part of the activities.

              73, Steve WB3LGC

            • fisher_daniel@bellsouth.net
              Message 6 of 17 , May 25, 2006
                Steve,

                I've thought of that. However, that leaves me having to find someone to get the kids on the air. Since U of S is in Winter Park, which is in the Orlando metro area, perhaps I can get someone from one of the clubs there to set up a station where the leaders can talk to the Scouts over here. (We're about 80 miles from where U of S is being held.)

                73, Dan AI4GK