RE: Re: [ScoutRadio] Carrying an HT at Philmont

  • J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
    Message 1 of 17 , May 21, 2006

      Bob,

      The Radio Chit sounds interesting…can you send the requirements to me?

      Our Troop has two Scouts who are licensed Hams and we are about to have several more.

      73,

      Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

      201.314.6964

      w2ttt@...

      w2ttt@...

      w2ttt@...

      From: "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga@...>
      Date: 2006/05/20 Sat AM 10:32:10 EDT
      To: <fisher_daniel@...>,  < ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com >
      Subject: Re: [ScoutRadio] Carrying an HT at Philmont

      >...my theory is that any Scout or adult Scouter who is a
      >ham should bring a radio along to just about any and
      >every event.

      I would modify that receommendation slightly to say:
      "...any scout or adult leader who is a ham should
      check the camp regulations and requirment and
      make sure well before hand to check the words that
      appear in most parental-guidance advisorys to
      the effect of " NO RADIOS OR ELECTRONICS IN CAMP".

      And to begin lobbying NOW and immediatelly to get
      all such references CHANGED to read something like:

      "NO ENTERTAINMENT OR ELECTRONIC RADIOS OR TOYS
      IN CAMP"...

      Visit the Adventure Radio Society: http://www.natworld.com/ars/

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Robert Bruninga
      Message 2 of 17 , May 21, 2006
        >>> vze1u2wn@... 05/21/06 6:57 PM >>>
        >The Radio Chit sounds interesting.can you send the
        >requirements to me?

        Gordon,
        I've written several ideas on radios, FRS and ham radio at camps...have found...
        http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/frsnight.html

        Here is the shacks at camp stuff...
        http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/shacks4packs.html

        Ah, there is the link near the bottom of that page:
        http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/frsplan.txt

        Hummh... but still not the Chit stuff I wrote...
        I donno.... but that last one is close...

        Bob, Wb4APR

        73,

        Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

        201.314.6964

        w2ttt@...

        w2ttt@...

        w2ttt@...

        _____

        From: "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga@...>
        Date: 2006/05/20 Sat AM 10:32:10 EDT
        To: <fisher_daniel@...>, <ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com>

        >...my theory is that any Scout or adult Scouter who is a
        >ham should bring a radio along to just about any and
        >every event.

        I would modify that receommendation slightly to say:
        "...any scout or adult leader who is a ham should
        check the camp regulations and requirment and
        make sure well before hand to check the words that
        appear in most parental-guidance advisorys to
        the effect of " NO RADIOS OR ELECTRONICS IN CAMP".

        And to begin lobbying NOW and immediatelly to get
        all such references CHANGED to read something like:

        "NO ENTERTAINMENT OR ELECTRONIC RADIOS OR TOYS
        IN CAMP"...

        Visit the Adventure Radio Society: http://www.natworld.com/ars/

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Visit the Adventure Radio Society: http://www.natworld.com/ars/

        Date
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Date+idea&w1=Date+idea&w2=Ideas&w3=Radi
        o&w4=Scouter&w5=Outdoors&c=5&s=64&.sig=mCQpztFx1dCxCxZJgKqgvg> idea

        Ideas
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ideas&w1=Date+idea&w2=Ideas&w3=Radio&w4
        =Scouter&w5=Outdoors&c=5&s=64&.sig=sFDpcZH02g8_D_cunMHWvQ>

        Radio
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Radio&w1=Date+idea&w2=Ideas&w3=Radio&w4
        =Scouter&w5=Outdoors&c=5&s=64&.sig=rXaAUpc4EgpHkbW-U4ExDQ>

        Scouter
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Scouter&w1=Date+idea&w2=Ideas&w3=Radio&
        w4=Scouter&w5=Outdoors&c=5&s=64&.sig=A3BwF8viSzYYm_WfU68EiA>

        Outdoors
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Date+idea&w2=Ideas&w3=Radio
        &w4=Scouter&w5=Outdoors&c=5&s=64&.sig=tt2xr8fjVGG_qGcU2eL1fg>

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "ScoutRadio
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScoutRadio> " on the web.

        _____
      • Frank Krizan
        Message 3 of 17 , May 21, 2006

          Hi all,

          Do a search on scoutradio at yahoogroups.com for “communicator chit” and “radio chit”.   It doesn’t contain the actual requirements, but, will give those who weren’t part of the original discussion some insight into what was being discussed.

          With Bob’s help, maybe we can resurrect the discussion and come up with something that could be used for training, requirements, and the actual “chit.”

          73, Frank

          From: "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga@...>
          Date: 2006/05/20 Sat AM 10:32:10 EDT
          To: <fisher_daniel@...>,  <ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com>

          >...my theory is that any Scout or adult Scouter who is a
          >ham should bring a radio along to just about any and
          >every event.

          I would modify that receommendation slightly to say:
          "...any scout or adult leader who is a ham should
          check the camp regulations and requirment and
          make sure well before hand to check the words that
          appear in most parental-guidance advisorys to
          the effect of " NO RADIOS OR ELECTRONICS IN CAMP".

          And to begin lobbying NOW and immediatelly to get
          all such references CHANGED to read something like:

          "NO ENTERTAINMENT OR ELECTRONIC RADIOS OR TOYS
          IN CAMP"...

          Visit the Adventure Radio Society: http://www.natworld.com/ars/

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Visit the Adventure Radio Society: http://www.natworld.com/ars/

          Date
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Date+idea&w1=Date+idea&w2=Ideas&w3=Radi
          o&w4=Scouter&w5=Outdoors&c=5&s=64&.sig=mCQpztFx1dCxCxZJgKqgvg>  idea

          Ideas
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ideas&w1=Date+idea&w2=Ideas&w3=Radio&w4
          =Scouter&w5=Outdoors&c=5&s=64&.sig=sFDpcZH02g8_D_cunMHWvQ>

          Radio
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Radio&w1=Date+idea&w2=Ideas&w3=Radio&w4
          =Scouter&w5=Outdoors&c=5&s=64&.sig=rXaAUpc4EgpHkbW-U4ExDQ>

          Scouter
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Scouter&w1=Date+idea&w2=Ideas&w3=Radio&
          w4=Scouter&w5=Outdoors&c=5&s=64&.sig=A3BwF8viSzYYm_WfU68EiA>

          Outdoors
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Date+idea&w2=Ideas&w3=Radio
          &w4=Scouter&w5=Outdoors&c=5&s=64&.sig=tt2xr8fjVGG_qGcU2eL1fg>

            _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          *      Visit your group "ScoutRadio
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScoutRadio> " on the web.

          *      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>  Terms of Service.

            _____

        • Chris Kelly
          Message 4 of 17 , May 21, 2006
            Hello Steve:
            As another message in this string answered your question, yes
            do take your radio. When our crew did Philmont in 2004
            we found a ham working in the Base Camp dining hall (wearing his callsign)
            and he gave us great info about the evening nets that year.
            Several backcountry camps had hams on the staff and would meet
            (I believe on 146.52 if I remember) each evening at 8 PM. The staffer at Base
            also monitored almost all the time he was off-duty.
            Wear your callsign around basecamp and advertize that you are hams,
            to help meet other hams. Everyone is pretty busy but the callsign will
            probably grab another ham's attention and you can learn what's up this year.
            Conserve battery power and operate evenings, there are few places
            to recharge anything, but you will probably find some ham operations
            there among the staffers.
            73 and have a good trek,
            Chris Kelly, K0PF
          • Chris Kelly
            Message 5 of 17 , May 22, 2006
              Additional Considerations upon further thought:

              1. Philmont is an experience almost unique, in that you really get away
              from phones, news, wars, scandals, computers, politics, etc for two weeks.
              Don't let the HT detract from that experience.
              I believe we turned on our HT (one for the whole crew, which had three
              hams) about 3 times during the trek, in the evenings.
              It was some comfort against accident, because we may be able to get
              help more quickly if we reached someone by radio from the back country, but
              the
              staffed camps are not that far apart, and are the normal first place to go
              for help.
              The only other use was in celebrating the ascent of Mount Phillips, where we
              talked to a ham in Angelfire via the Angelfire repeater.

              2. Consider the weight seriously. The last two days of our trek (very long
              days with a couple thousand feet elevation gain/loss) I was wishing
              I hadn't brought the weight of those three extra postage stamps! At
              equipment shakeout on checkin you will be urged to reduce weight every
              possible way.
              Our crew shared our sunscreen, duct tape, and almost everything
              except underwear so we would only have to carry one of each item.
              (We immediately shed SOME of the cooking pots they checked out to us.)
              Lightweight cameras are worth it, radios are a tradeoff you have to make,
              and should be based on your willingness/ability to carry that weight for
              however many miles you plan to hike.

              I don't change my opinion of "yes", but I wanted to further discuss the
              issues surrounding the question (besides, it was Ted WB0TSX that
              carried the radio, not me!)

              73,
              Chris Kelly, K0PF
            • Gary Wilson
              Message 6 of 17 , May 22, 2006
                --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga@...>
                wrote:

                > And to begin lobbying NOW and immediatelly to get
                > all such references CHANGED to read something like:
                >
                > "NO ENTERTAINMENT OR ELECTRONIC RADIOS OR TOYS
                > IN CAMP"...
                >
                > Because we want to make sure that ALL scouts and
                > leaders are WELCOME to bring their HAM radios
                >
                > Good luck. It takes a lot of effort to get these
                > words changed....

                Bob:

                While in my 35 years of Scouting, I've never seen any kid told that
                they can't bring a ham radio to camp, there's probably a better way
                to get the message out than trying to lobby 300 councils and 100,000
                units about their individual rules that might inadvertantly
                proscribe HT's.

                I suggest you bring it up with Mike Brown, WB2JWD, who as author of
                the Radio Merit Badge pamphlet and coordinator of the K2BSA effort
                at the National Jamboree, has a bit of influence at National Council.

                Perhaps he could have the desirablity of units having back-up
                emergency communications such as Ham HT's added to the "Guide to
                Safe Scouting" which all councils and units must follow. The Guide
                to Safe Scouting is updated about every two years. The bulletins to
                National Jamboree contingent leaders always tell hams to bring their
                HT's along, so it's just expanding Jamboree practice to home troops
                and councils. And that is one of the functions of the Jamboree.

                That way we could also promote the positive aspects of Amateur Radio
                to everyone who reads the national publication, instead of acting
                like folks who are looking for some special dispensation from a
                local rule.

                73 & YIS,

                Gary Wilson, K2GW
                Unit Commissioner
                Central New Jersey Council, BSA
              • Stephen M. Shearer
                Message 7 of 17 , May 24, 2006
                  Dan,

                  You could look at UofS and JOTA on the same weekend as an opportunity to
                  spread the RADIO message to BSA. Set up a JOTA station at the University of
                  Scouting event and make it part of the activities.

                  73, Steve WB3LGC

                • fisher_daniel@bellsouth.net
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 25, 2006
                    Steve,

                    I've thought of that. However, that leaves me having to find someone to get the kids on the air. Since U of S is in Winter Park, which is in the Orlando metro area, perhaps I can get someone from one of the clubs there to set up a station where the leaders can talk to the Scouts over here. (We're about 80 miles from where U of S is being held.)

                    73, Dan AI4GK