Re: [scoutradio] Digest Number 67

  • Alan Stumpf
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 12, 2000
      Max,
      That depends on:
      1. What kind of equipment will you have avaiable?
      2. How many scouts are you planning to teach each week (are you going to
      limit enrollment)?
      3. How many volunteers are going to help you each week?
      4. Have you taught Radio Merit Badge before (JOTA experience)?
      5. How long are the merit classes and how many times do they meet during
      the week?
      6. Do you have premade materials to hand out to the scouts?
      7. Is this position your only Merit Badge responability?

      As the Noth Hills Amateur Radio Clubs JOTA Committee Chair I have to
      answer most of these questions every time I start the planning process for
      JOTA and the Radio Merit Badge classes. Last JOTA we had 50+ scouts earn the
      RMB and are planning for more than 75 this comming JOTA. So if you can
      answer some of these questions then we can help you a little bit more.
      What summer camp are you going to be at?

      73,

      Alan Stumpf, KB3DHC
      KB3DHC@...
      http://pages.prodigy.net/aws69/
      Assistant Scoutmaster Troop 377
      Greater Pittsburgh Council
      Enda Lechauhanne 57 | >>======> |
      3rd Assistant Scoutmaster 2001 Jamboree Troop RED (No number yet)
      North Hills Amateur Radio Club
      JOTA Committee Chair

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 18:54:31 -0700
      > From: "Troop 54" <t_54@...>
      > Subject: Radio Merit Badge
      >
      > Hi my name is max and I will be teaching the radio merit badge at a summer
      > camp this summer. any suggestions from anybody?
      >
      > Thanks Max.
    • Troop 54
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 12, 2000
        I believe that there will be at least one HF rig and possible two. There will be a couple of 2 meter mobiles and probably a half dozen 2m HT's between the staff. We are planning on groups of 8 to 10 boys each. There will be two people focusing on teaching the merit badge. I have no experience teaching the badge or jota activities, although the other volunteer has done it before. The sessions will be 2 hours a day for days, plus some open time in the afternoon and evenings. I have some resources form different arrl publications as well as some good material helpers for the youth off the net. I might also help run a hf station in the scout skills area during the weeks at camp.

        Thank you and 73,

        Max Manghelli
        Junior Assistant Scoutmaster
        Troop 54, Veneta Oregon
        Oregon Trail Council
        (Hopefully third assistant scoutmaster for jambo 2001 (selection this fall))

        Message 3 of 4 , May 17, 2000
          I know that JOTA is far off, but how soon in advance should I start planning
          activities with my Troop.

          Max Manghelli - KD7GES
          Junior Assistant Scoutmaster
          Troop 54 Veneta Oregon
        • John Bednar
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 27, 2000
            > How did everyone's Field Day Scouting event go.

            Troop 242 was active for the first time during Field
            Day with my call and my son's, WB3ESS on the
            novice station. My son gave a radio/Field Day demo
            at the prior meeting (requested by the PLC).

            Band conditions were very bad in PA. We were running
            100 watts but it seemed like we were QRPP. We installed
            the 40m antenna late after supper. Around 10:30pm local
            40m was runnable and one of the scouts made more
            contacts in less than two hours than both stations
            made all day. He was so excited at times he couldn't
            talk.

            By Sunday noon the guys asked if we could sleep
            over one more night. I'm sure we'll be on the air next year
            and they will be fired up for JOTA.

            John, K3CT
            SA Troop 242, Cherryville, PA
            k3ct@...