Re: [ScoutRadio] Carrying an HT at Philmont

  • fisher_daniel@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 17 , May 19, 2006
      Steve,

      I've never been to Philmont. However, my theory is that any Scout or adult Scouter who is a ham should bring a radio along to just about any and every event.

      73,
      Dan Fisher AI4GK

      From: "Steve" <kd4got@...>
      Date: 2006/05/19 Fri PM 03:05:22 EDT
      To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [ScoutRadio] Carrying an HT at Philmont

      A local scout/ham is headed to Philmont this summer and asked me if he
      should carry his HT. He has a VX-5 so the weight is minimal. Anyone
      ever done it? When I went to Philmont in '85, I was not yet a Ham.

      -Steve, N4SJJ
    • Robert Bruninga
      Message 2 of 17 , May 20, 2006
        >...my theory is that any Scout or adult Scouter who is a
        >ham should bring a radio along to just about any and
        >every event.

        I would modify that receommendation slightly to say:
        "...any scout or adult leader who is a ham should
        check the camp regulations and requirment and
        make sure well before hand to check the words that
        appear in most parental-guidance advisorys to
        the effect of " NO RADIOS OR ELECTRONICS IN CAMP".

        And to begin lobbying NOW and immediatelly to get
        all such references CHANGED to read something like:

        "NO ENTERTAINMENT OR ELECTRONIC RADIOS OR TOYS
        IN CAMP"...

        Because we want to make sure that ALL scouts and
        leaders are WELCOME to bring their HAM radios
        and also to bring FRS radios. And with the FRS
        radios that we hams teach proper radio etiquette
        and procedures.

        We just must get the words "NO RADIOS... IN CAMP"
        modified. It appears in every scout camp and
        school camp and church camp literature that I have seen.
        ANd we must work to get this changed. Those
        words are put in there by clueless individuals who
        do want to properly exclude boom boxes and video
        games, but they do not realize what else they
        are excluding.

        When I talked to my council, they said, "of course,
        Ham radio or FRS are not included". But I said,
        "then change the words"!. Do NOT put the parents
        in the position of having to "violate the written
        rule" because they think they know better. Just
        re-word the stupid rule....

        Good luck. It takes a lot of effort to get these
        words changed....

        Bob, Wb4APR
      • fisher_daniel@bellsouth.net
        Message 3 of 17 , May 20, 2006
          Bob,

          I snipped the bottom of your message to conserve space, but kept the highlights so others can follow our thread.

          You're right. We must lobby the camps to change their signs. I'm a subscriber to "forgiveness is better than permission," which works MOST of the time. (Maybe not the best practice for a police officer, eh?) Anyway, Amateur Radio is a part of Scouting, whereas PSP, AM/FM, TV, etc. are not. So, my philosophy is that if it's good enough for National Jamboree, and if we have a Merit Badge for it, and since ARRL and BSA have had a relationship since long before I was a member of either, then Amateur Radio is impliedly acceptable at Scouting events.

          That being said, you are absolutely right. We do need to get camp policies changed, and the RIGHT thing to do is to check ahead of time with camp management. We also need to continue to integrate Amateur Radio (and frs) with Scouting. I'd like to see every unit have a couple ham scouts & scouters, with other unit members using frs. (I'd also like to see peace on earth, an end to terrorism, and so on and so forth.) :-)

          One more thing while I'm on my soapbox: I'd love to get Central Florida Council to stop having Unversity of Scouting on JOTA weekend. U. of S. is an intensive day of training for leaders, who can obtain training on almost any facet of training. It's a superb program; it just shouldn't happen on JOTA weekend, and they ALWAYS schedule it then, except that last year it was on a different weekend.

          Thanks and 73,
          Dan AI4GK

          From: "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga@...>
          Date: 2006/05/20 Sat AM 10:32:10 EDT
          To: <fisher_daniel@...>, <ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: Re: [ScoutRadio] Carrying an HT at Philmont

          Message 4 of 17 , May 20, 2006
            And I'd like to make progress on a Radio Chit.
            Just like a Totin Chip for carrying knife, they
            would have to do the fundamentals of Radio
            communication (IE, learn about callsigns,
            what CTCSS is, and how the channels are shared
            and so forth before they are "allowed" to blab
            on a radio. This is at the cubscout age where
            they want to play radio but just make noises,
            not communicate...

            I wrote up the requiremets for the Radio-Chit, but
            donno where they are right now... Bob, Wb4APR

            >>> fisher_daniel@... 05/20/06 12:05 PM >>>

            From: "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga@...>
            Date: 2006/05/20 Sat AM 10:32:10 EDT
            To: <fisher_daniel@...>, <ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com>

            >...my theory is that any Scout or adult Scouter who is a
            >ham should bring a radio along to just about any and
            >every event.

            I would modify that receommendation slightly to say:
            "...any scout or adult leader who is a ham should
            check the camp regulations and requirment and
            make sure well before hand to check the words that
            appear in most parental-guidance advisorys to
            the effect of " NO RADIOS OR ELECTRONICS IN CAMP".

            And to begin lobbying NOW and immediatelly to get
            all such references CHANGED to read something like:

            "NO ENTERTAINMENT OR ELECTRONIC RADIOS OR TOYS
            IN CAMP"...

            Visit the Adventure Radio Society: http://www.natworld.com/ars/

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • fisher_daniel@bellsouth.net
            Message 5 of 17 , May 20, 2006
              Hmmm... I like that idea. A Radio Chit. It would be a rarity, but for those few Cubs with licenses, the license would supersede the Radio Chit, I believe.

              One good thing in our District is that Keith, KC0DIV, and I have a tremendous amount of latitude with exposing youngsters to Amateur Radio. When we set up stations, it's always a big hit! And, one thing I've noticed firsthand is, as I've seen posted here many times before, the youngsters have a blast with code oscillators and figuring out that they can send messages that way.

              73,
              Dan

              Message 6 of 17 , May 21, 2006
                Yes, take your HT to Philmont!  Our crew (1/3 were licensed) was there in 2003 and we were delighted to find a ham "community" made up of staff members throughout the ranch.  I'm certain the situation changes from year to year, but there was an evening net on 2 meters which we checked into occasionally, and from some of the higher peaks we were able to work the repeater at Angel Fire.

                Enjoy your trek!  We are scheduled to go again in 2007 and we will be taking our rigs with us.

                73 es Good Scouting

                /s/ Ted Black, WB0TSX
                @ Ben Delatour Scout Ranch (w0bsa@...)
              • J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
                Message 7 of 17 , May 21, 2006

                  Hi Folks,

                  I’m always bring all kinds of radio equipment for the Cub Scout Bear “Radio Elective”, Webelos Communicator and Boy Scout Radio MB to Camp and have never had a problem.

                  In fact, it is always welcomed as an “add-on” program highlight or a program activity for those who need something special or different to whatever else is going on.  Often it is built into our unit, District or Council activities.

                  I’ve been on trek at Philmont in 2001 and 2005 with an HT that also was my weather/bc radio with no troubles.  These rules are designed to make sure that you don’t have a youth or adult walking on the trial and unable to hear sounds of the wilderness with the added possibility of missing a call for help because of earbuds!  These are more tools designed to re-enforce good wilderness and crew behavior when some Scouts “don’t get it”.  It saves the Crew Chief and the Advisors lots of aggravation when there is a young man or a parent who want to “do their own thing”.   A Philmont Crew is not the place for such things.

                  At the Scouts’ request, our trek in 2005 included an on-trail activity of the Radio Merit Badge in short sessions and the kids loved it.  We did almost 90 miles, did all the normal trail activities and when time permitted, the Crew Chief would ask that we provide this additional opportunity.   In addition to a demanding pre-trek training regime (a short 550 ft down and up hike, a twenty miler and two fifteen mile, two night backpacking trips, the boys of this crew asked for GPS training and Radio MB, so we arranged to provide them with the opportunity.  When coupled with normal tweaking of map and compass skills, group bonding activities, and other “soft skill” training, these boys who varied quite a bit in initial skill level  all completed the Radio, Hiking, and Backpacking Merit Badges in the year or so that included their Philmont Trek.

                  As an advisor, I had great pleasure in following these boys on trek and only having to ask how I can be helpful and what their plan was during the whole trek.  It was AMAZING!

                  I never had to ask about focus, discipline or correct anything they did for the entire time!

                  So read these rules with some care and common sense.  If nothing else, in various BSA Trekking materials, they call for the use of communications equipment, so read and apply these rules with prudence and your Scouts and Scouters will have a “Mountain-Top” experience!

                  YIS & 73,

                  Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

                  201.314.6964

                  w2ttt@...

                  w2ttt@...

                  w2ttt@...

                  Message 8 of 17 , May 21, 2006

                    Bob,

                    The Radio Chit sounds interesting…can you send the requirements to me?

                    Our Troop has two Scouts who are licensed Hams and we are about to have several more.

                    73,

                    Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

                    201.314.6964

                    w2ttt@...

                    w2ttt@...

                    w2ttt@...

                    From: "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga@...>
                    Date: 2006/05/20 Sat AM 10:32:10 EDT
                    To: <fisher_daniel@...>,  < ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com >

                      From: "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga@...>
                      Date: 2006/05/20 Sat AM 10:32:10 EDT
                      To: <fisher_daniel@...>,  < ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com >

                      Message 10 of 17 , May 21, 2006
                        >>> vze1u2wn@... 05/21/06 6:57 PM >>>
                        >The Radio Chit sounds interesting.can you send the
                        >requirements to me?

                        Gordon,
                        I've written several ideas on radios, FRS and ham radio at camps...have found...
                        http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/frsnight.html

                        Here is the shacks at camp stuff...
                        http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/shacks4packs.html

                        Ah, there is the link near the bottom of that page:
                        http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/frsplan.txt

                        Hummh... but still not the Chit stuff I wrote...
                        I donno.... but that last one is close...

                        Bob, Wb4APR

                        73,

                        Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

                        201.314.6964

                        w2ttt@...

                        w2ttt@...

                        w2ttt@...

                        _____

                        From: "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga@...>
                        Date: 2006/05/20 Sat AM 10:32:10 EDT
                        To: <fisher_daniel@...>, <ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com>

                        >...my theory is that any Scout or adult Scouter who is a
                        >ham should bring a radio along to just about any and
                        >every event.

                        I would modify that receommendation slightly to say:
                        "...any scout or adult leader who is a ham should
                        check the camp regulations and requirment and
                        make sure well before hand to check the words that
                        appear in most parental-guidance advisorys to
                        the effect of " NO RADIOS OR ELECTRONICS IN CAMP".

                        And to begin lobbying NOW and immediatelly to get
                        all such references CHANGED to read something like:

                        "NO ENTERTAINMENT OR ELECTRONIC RADIOS OR TOYS
                        IN CAMP"...

                        Visit the Adventure Radio Society: http://www.natworld.com/ars/

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Visit the Adventure Radio Society: http://www.natworld.com/ars/

                        Date
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Date+idea&w1=Date+idea&w2=Ideas&w3=Radi
                        o&w4=Scouter&w5=Outdoors&c=5&s=64&.sig=mCQpztFx1dCxCxZJgKqgvg> idea

                        Ideas
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ideas&w1=Date+idea&w2=Ideas&w3=Radio&w4
                        =Scouter&w5=Outdoors&c=5&s=64&.sig=sFDpcZH02g8_D_cunMHWvQ>

                        Radio
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Radio&w1=Date+idea&w2=Ideas&w3=Radio&w4
                        =Scouter&w5=Outdoors&c=5&s=64&.sig=rXaAUpc4EgpHkbW-U4ExDQ>

                        Scouter
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Scouter&w1=Date+idea&w2=Ideas&w3=Radio&
                        w4=Scouter&w5=Outdoors&c=5&s=64&.sig=A3BwF8viSzYYm_WfU68EiA>

                        Outdoors
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Date+idea&w2=Ideas&w3=Radio
                        &w4=Scouter&w5=Outdoors&c=5&s=64&.sig=tt2xr8fjVGG_qGcU2eL1fg>

                        _____

                        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                        * Visit your group "ScoutRadio
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScoutRadio> " on the web.

                        _____
                      • Frank Krizan
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 21, 2006

                          Hi all,

                          Do a search on scoutradio at yahoogroups.com for “communicator chit” and “radio chit”.   It doesn’t contain the actual requirements, but, will give those who weren’t part of the original discussion some insight into what was being discussed.

                          With Bob’s help, maybe we can resurrect the discussion and come up with something that could be used for training, requirements, and the actual “chit.”

                          73, Frank

                          From: "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga@...>
                          Date: 2006/05/20 Sat AM 10:32:10 EDT
                          To: <fisher_daniel@...>,  <ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com>

                          >...my theory is that any Scout or adult Scouter who is a
                          >ham should bring a radio along to just about any and
                          >every event.

                          I would modify that receommendation slightly to say:
                          "...any scout or adult leader who is a ham should
                          check the camp regulations and requirment and
                          make sure well before hand to check the words that
                          appear in most parental-guidance advisorys to
                          the effect of " NO RADIOS OR ELECTRONICS IN CAMP".

                          And to begin lobbying NOW and immediatelly to get
                          all such references CHANGED to read something like:

                          "NO ENTERTAINMENT OR ELECTRONIC RADIOS OR TOYS
                          IN CAMP"...

                          Visit the Adventure Radio Society: http://www.natworld.com/ars/

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                          Visit the Adventure Radio Society: http://www.natworld.com/ars/

                          Date
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Date+idea&w1=Date+idea&w2=Ideas&w3=Radi
                          o&w4=Scouter&w5=Outdoors&c=5&s=64&.sig=mCQpztFx1dCxCxZJgKqgvg>  idea

                          Ideas
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ideas&w1=Date+idea&w2=Ideas&w3=Radio&w4
                          =Scouter&w5=Outdoors&c=5&s=64&.sig=sFDpcZH02g8_D_cunMHWvQ>

                          Radio
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Radio&w1=Date+idea&w2=Ideas&w3=Radio&w4
                          =Scouter&w5=Outdoors&c=5&s=64&.sig=rXaAUpc4EgpHkbW-U4ExDQ>

                          Scouter
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Scouter&w1=Date+idea&w2=Ideas&w3=Radio&
                          w4=Scouter&w5=Outdoors&c=5&s=64&.sig=A3BwF8viSzYYm_WfU68EiA>

                          Outdoors
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Date+idea&w2=Ideas&w3=Radio
                          &w4=Scouter&w5=Outdoors&c=5&s=64&.sig=tt2xr8fjVGG_qGcU2eL1fg>

                            _____

                          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                          *      Visit your group "ScoutRadio
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScoutRadio> " on the web.

                          *      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
                          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>  Terms of Service.

                            _____

                        • Chris Kelly
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 21, 2006
                            Hello Steve:
                            As another message in this string answered your question, yes
                            do take your radio. When our crew did Philmont in 2004
                            we found a ham working in the Base Camp dining hall (wearing his callsign)
                            and he gave us great info about the evening nets that year.
                            Several backcountry camps had hams on the staff and would meet
                            (I believe on 146.52 if I remember) each evening at 8 PM. The staffer at Base
                            also monitored almost all the time he was off-duty.
                            Wear your callsign around basecamp and advertize that you are hams,
                            to help meet other hams. Everyone is pretty busy but the callsign will
                            probably grab another ham's attention and you can learn what's up this year.
                            Conserve battery power and operate evenings, there are few places
                            to recharge anything, but you will probably find some ham operations
                            there among the staffers.
                            73 and have a good trek,
                            Chris Kelly, K0PF
                          • Chris Kelly
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 22, 2006
                              Additional Considerations upon further thought:

                              1. Philmont is an experience almost unique, in that you really get away
                              from phones, news, wars, scandals, computers, politics, etc for two weeks.
                              Don't let the HT detract from that experience.
                              I believe we turned on our HT (one for the whole crew, which had three
                              hams) about 3 times during the trek, in the evenings.
                              It was some comfort against accident, because we may be able to get
                              help more quickly if we reached someone by radio from the back country, but
                              the
                              staffed camps are not that far apart, and are the normal first place to go
                              for help.
                              The only other use was in celebrating the ascent of Mount Phillips, where we
                              talked to a ham in Angelfire via the Angelfire repeater.

                              2. Consider the weight seriously. The last two days of our trek (very long
                              days with a couple thousand feet elevation gain/loss) I was wishing
                              I hadn't brought the weight of those three extra postage stamps! At
                              equipment shakeout on checkin you will be urged to reduce weight every
                              possible way.
                              Our crew shared our sunscreen, duct tape, and almost everything
                              except underwear so we would only have to carry one of each item.
                              (We immediately shed SOME of the cooking pots they checked out to us.)
                              Lightweight cameras are worth it, radios are a tradeoff you have to make,
                              and should be based on your willingness/ability to carry that weight for
                              however many miles you plan to hike.

                              I don't change my opinion of "yes", but I wanted to further discuss the
                              issues surrounding the question (besides, it was Ted WB0TSX that
                              carried the radio, not me!)

                              73,
                              Chris Kelly, K0PF
                            • Gary Wilson
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 22, 2006
                                --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga@...>
                                wrote:

                                > And to begin lobbying NOW and immediatelly to get
                                > all such references CHANGED to read something like:
                                >
                                > "NO ENTERTAINMENT OR ELECTRONIC RADIOS OR TOYS
                                > IN CAMP"...
                                >
                                > Because we want to make sure that ALL scouts and
                                > leaders are WELCOME to bring their HAM radios
                                >
                                > Good luck. It takes a lot of effort to get these
                                > words changed....

                                Bob:

                                While in my 35 years of Scouting, I've never seen any kid told that
                                they can't bring a ham radio to camp, there's probably a better way
                                to get the message out than trying to lobby 300 councils and 100,000
                                units about their individual rules that might inadvertantly
                                proscribe HT's.

                                I suggest you bring it up with Mike Brown, WB2JWD, who as author of
                                the Radio Merit Badge pamphlet and coordinator of the K2BSA effort
                                at the National Jamboree, has a bit of influence at National Council.

                                Perhaps he could have the desirablity of units having back-up
                                emergency communications such as Ham HT's added to the "Guide to
                                Safe Scouting" which all councils and units must follow. The Guide
                                to Safe Scouting is updated about every two years. The bulletins to
                                National Jamboree contingent leaders always tell hams to bring their
                                HT's along, so it's just expanding Jamboree practice to home troops
                                and councils. And that is one of the functions of the Jamboree.

                                That way we could also promote the positive aspects of Amateur Radio
                                to everyone who reads the national publication, instead of acting
                                like folks who are looking for some special dispensation from a
                                local rule.

                                73 & YIS,

                                Gary Wilson, K2GW
                                Unit Commissioner
                                Central New Jersey Council, BSA
                              • Stephen M. Shearer
                                Message 15 of 17 , May 24, 2006
                                  Dan,

                                  You could look at UofS and JOTA on the same weekend as an opportunity to
                                  spread the RADIO message to BSA. Set up a JOTA station at the University of
                                  Scouting event and make it part of the activities.

                                  73, Steve WB3LGC

                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 25, 2006
                                    Steve,

                                    I've thought of that. However, that leaves me having to find someone to get the kids on the air. Since U of S is in Winter Park, which is in the Orlando metro area, perhaps I can get someone from one of the clubs there to set up a station where the leaders can talk to the Scouts over here. (We're about 80 miles from where U of S is being held.)

                                    73, Dan AI4GK