camp radio idea

  • Alan Stumpf
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2006
      Hi All

      I have an activity that I run at summer camp (the week I spend with
      my troop) that some of you might be interested in setting up at your
      camps. I volunteer some of my time in camp to help out at the
      Weather Merit Badge classes. One of the pre-reqs the scouts need to
      bring to camp is A) 7 days worth of personal weather observations
      and a homemade weather instrument. Well most scouts for whatever
      reason don't do A and the or pre-req is to B) talk to a
      meteorologist. The second one is hard to do since most NWS offices
      discontinued office tours after 9-11. It just so happens I am an
      active member of the National Weather Service Pittsburgh Skywarn
      Amateur Radio office team. So I offer to the scout the opportunity
      to talk to the office via my HT. The repeater is 15 miles away so I
      run 1 watt from my HTX202 with an extension mic that I pass around
      to the scouts to ask questions. The office personal are more than
      happy to talk to scouts via the radio (usually they have to drive
      somewhere to do talks; at the office walk across the room). I
      usually give the scouts a 5-minute talk about Amateur Radio and on
      air procedures before we begin. The scouts have a great time (they
      are about the only week that all the scouts get the merit badge),
      the counselor just sits back for the whole class and the camp
      program director gets to see something different.

      One catch I have encountered is not having an operator at the NWS
      office station (WX3PIT) since the employees are not licensed. A cell
      phone on speakerphone works just as well (just make sure the battery
      is full and you have lots of minutes that month).

      73

      Alan KB3DHC