Scout Camp Net

  • Frank Lawlor
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 2006
      Hi All: I am new to the group. I have been an assistant Scout Master
      ,Scout Master and Council member with several troops. My first troop
      was Troop 35 in Paterson NJ. That was back in 1956. That was approx.
      50 years ago :). Lou Costello of Abbot and Costello always mentioned
      the troop in some of his acts.
      I have been checking the frequencies at the times mentioned and found
      that 7.270 at the 9:00 to 9:30 PM time has a commercial station on
      that is 60+ DB. That is Eastern time. There is no way a net can run at
      that time on the frequency. Just for FYI; Frank WB2IRE
    • Frank Krizan
      Message 2 of 4 , May 5, 2006

        Hi Frank,

        Thanks for the observation.  The calling plan recommends 7270 +/- 10kHz – plus, at 9 p.m., 40m would be checked for 5 mins before the hour and then 80m (3940 +/- 10kHz) for 5 mins after the hour.

        The plan is a “calling plan” instead of a Net.  Thus, Hams can avoid interference.  There’s also suggested operating times of 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. local.  The idea is to provide opportunities for scouts at camp to get to talk with someone via amateur radio, and/or, for scout camps to pass traffic.

        Those of us not at camp become the “support group” … we can monitor for scout camps calling CQ and provide a QSO for the camp station.

        Good to have you in the Group.

        73, Frank KR1ZAN

        Garland, TX   … but, currently camping in Bellville , TX … if you can call RVing “camping”!

        Message 3 of 4 , May 22, 2006
          Hi Guys,

          This is really a great idea. K5HAL, myself and some other operator
          will be teaching Radio, Electronics MB's and an amauter lisencing
          course Camp Ware near Nottingham, PA. We will be there from June 25
          to July 1. We are looking at possibly having up to three HF
          stations in camp that week. I know we will also have 2m and
          possible packet and aprs.

          What a great opportunity to get more scouts interested in Amatuer
          radio.

          73's de N3LBY

          Jim

          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Krizan" <frank.krizan@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Frank,
          >

          > Thanks for the observation. The calling plan recommends 7270 +/-
          10kHz -
          > plus, at 9 p.m., 40m would be checked for 5 mins before the hour
          and then
          > 80m (3940 +/- 10kHz) for 5 mins after the hour.
          >

          > The plan is a "calling plan" instead of a Net. Thus, Hams can
          avoid
          > interference. There's also suggested operating times of 1 p.m.
          and 7 p.m.
          > local. The idea is to provide opportunities for scouts at camp to
          get to
          > talk with someone via amateur radio, and/or, for scout camps to
          pass
          > traffic.
          >

          > Those of us not at camp become the "support group" . we can
          monitor for
          > scout camps calling CQ and provide a QSO for the camp station.
          >

          > Good to have you in the Group.
          >

          > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
          >
          > Garland, TX . but, currently camping in Bellville, TX . if you
          can call
          > RVing "camping"!
          >

          > _____

          t=ms&k=Date+idea&w1=Date+idea&w2=Ideas&w3=Radi
          > o&w4=Scouter&w5=Outdoors&c=5&s=64&.sig=mCQpztFx1dCxCxZJgKqgvg>
          idea

          > Ideas
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Ideas&w1=Date+idea&w2=Ideas&w3=Radio&w4
          > =Scouter&w5=Outdoors&c=5&s=64&.sig=sFDpcZH02g8_D_cunMHWvQ>
          >
          > Radio
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Radio&w1=Date+idea&w2=Ideas&w3=Radio&w4
          > =Scouter&w5=Outdoors&c=5&s=64&.sig=rXaAUpc4EgpHkbW-U4ExDQ>
          >

          > Scouter
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Scouter&w1=Date+idea&w2=Ideas&w3=Radio&
          > w4=Scouter&w5=Outdoors&c=5&s=64&.sig=A3BwF8viSzYYm_WfU68EiA>
          >
          > Outdoors
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Date+idea&w2=Ideas&w3=Radio
          > &w4=Scouter&w5=Outdoors&c=5&s=64&.sig=tt2xr8fjVGG_qGcU2eL1fg>
          >

          > _____
          >
          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >

          > * Visit your group "ScoutRadio
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScoutRadio> " on the web.

          subject=Unsubscribe>

          > _____

        • davpet69
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 24, 2006
            Hello to all

            This is great.. Troop 116 of Atlanta Area will be at Camp

            Woodruff in North GA. We will have a couple of HAM stations

            set up. Will try to make contacts. So please listen out for a

            week signal and voice from the north GA woods.

            Thanks

            Dave

            KD4POG
            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "James Mc Nichol" <N3LBYJIM@...>