RE: [ScoutRadio] Re: Summer Camp Nets

  • Frank Krizan
    Message 1 of 35 , May 5, 2006

      Bob,

      Thank you.  Excellent contribution.

      73, Frank KR1ZAN

      From: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com [mailto: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Robert Bruninga
      Sent: Friday, May 05, 2006 8:57 PM
      To: frank.krizan@...; ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [ScoutRadio] Re: Summer Camp Nets

      Add to this protocol for scouts the following
      for stations with APRS:

      1) If your camp has APRS, then send a message to
      SCOUTS at the beginning and end of all operating
      periods.  An APRS message to "SCOUTS" will be
      retransmitted everywhwere in the USA and world where
      "SCOUTS" has been added to the automatic
      "pass-to-RF" at the local IGate.

      2) Contact the local IGate that serves your camp area
      and ask the SYSOP to include "SCOUTS" in its automatic
      pass-to-rf list.  THis way  you can receive any other
      SCOUTS messages in the world alerting you of other
      stations on the air in real time.

      3) also make sure your station is using the APRS symbol
      for scouts.  Then also any other station in the world
      can check the APRS FINDU web page and see live
      what other SCOUT stations are on the air:

      http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/symbol.cgi?icon=/,&limit=2000

      This list is sorted by most recent heard, so it will show
      you who is actually on the air live...

      APRS is a global resource (LIVE)...  give it a try....

      de Wb4APR, Bob

      >>> frank.krizan@... 05/04/06 9:12 PM >>>
      Hi Nathaniel,

      Thank you for your comments.  I'll let you take it from here.  I think I
      speak for everyone on the "board"  that we are thankful you got this thread
      going and didn't let the original idea get lost in the woodwork.

      If you've read the notes posted in the last couple of weeks, there are
      several on board who have volunteered to help with promoting this idea.

      Enjoy summer camp.  I will be camping also, but, in an RV.  With luck, I'll
      be able to talk with many of you on HF at camp, at home, and elsewhere.

      73, Frank KR1ZAN

      . on campout in Bellville , TX .

        _____

      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 24 12:17 PM
        Nathaniel, please let us know how the SCCP works for you. In no small sense, it's still in the Beta testing phase and we may have to make adjustments, depending upon ham-Scouters' experiences.

        Howz it feel to be a Guinea pig? 8-)

        HF is off limits for me for the next couple weeks at least, now that the AZ Natl Forests are closed. Because of the AZ fires, I'm at a local county campground (directly in the direction -5 mi north- the Brins Fires will head if the winds pick up and still no rain) which is heavily forested and no way to get up an HF antenna high enough (vertical would be my only option, but I don't have my 50' mast with me). So, no Field Day, no SCCP, no HF until it rains or snows.

        73 de Fred K2FRD

        At 2:20 PM -0400 6/24/06, Nathaniel A. Frissell wrote:
        >Hi, everyone!
        >
        >I just wanted to let you know that I am off to scout camp today, and will
        >have W2FSR on the air within a week. I hope to talk to all of you on
        >SCCP.
        >
        >73 de Nathaniel, W2NAF

        Editor-Publisher
        http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/ocarg.htm