RE: [ScoutRadio] Re: Summer Camp Nets

  • Nathaniel A. Frissell
    Message 1 of 35 , May 5, 2006
      Thanks, Frank. I was looking over the protocol again. I think #7 may be
      a little too broad and confusing. I think we should stick to just listing
      the 1, 7, and 9 PM calling slots, as that will concentrate the most people
      in the smallest amount of time.

      What do you think?

      73 de Nathaniel
      -------------------

      SCCP Protocol:
      > 1) Scout camps are encouraged to get on the air at 1 p.m., 7 p.m.
      > and/or 9 p.m. (local time) Monday through Thursday during the summer.
      >
      > 2) Calling times would be from 5 minutes before the hour to 5
      minutes
      > after the hour.
      >
      > 3) The traditional scout calling freqs, plus or minus 10kHz would
      be
      > used (please avoid any nets). (see
      > http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/jota.html#frequencies)
      >
      > 4) A higher frequency band would be used during the 5 minutes
      before
      > the hour, followed by 5 minutes on the suggested lower frequency band in
      > order to make best use of propagation conditions.
      >
      > 5) The band plan is: Daytime (1 p.m. & 7 p.m.) 20m/40m; Nighttime (9
      > p.m.) 40m/80m In addition, local repeater frequencies with camp
      coverage
      > should also be promoted.
      >
      > 6) The project will be known as "Scout Camp Calling Protocol" (SCCP,
      > or "S-Double C-P").
      >
      > 7) Scout camps, scouts and scouters from throughout the Nation are
      > invited and encouraged to monitor according to this plan from 2300Z to
      0400Z
      > and from 1700Z to 2000Z in order to provide support to scout camps with
      > traffic handling and talking with scouts.
    • Fred Stevens K2FRD
      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 24 12:17 PM
        Nathaniel, please let us know how the SCCP works for you. In no small sense, it's still in the Beta testing phase and we may have to make adjustments, depending upon ham-Scouters' experiences.

        Howz it feel to be a Guinea pig? 8-)

        HF is off limits for me for the next couple weeks at least, now that the AZ Natl Forests are closed. Because of the AZ fires, I'm at a local county campground (directly in the direction -5 mi north- the Brins Fires will head if the winds pick up and still no rain) which is heavily forested and no way to get up an HF antenna high enough (vertical would be my only option, but I don't have my 50' mast with me). So, no Field Day, no SCCP, no HF until it rains or snows.

        73 de Fred K2FRD

        At 2:20 PM -0400 6/24/06, Nathaniel A. Frissell wrote:
        >Hi, everyone!
        >
        >I just wanted to let you know that I am off to scout camp today, and will
        >have W2FSR on the air within a week. I hope to talk to all of you on
        >SCCP.
        >
        >73 de Nathaniel, W2NAF

        Editor-Publisher
        http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/ocarg.htm