Re: [scoutradio] Radio Merit Badge

  • Bill Jeffrey
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 12, 2000
      I put together some material which walks you through
      all the radio merit badge requirements. It is
      available on my website at
      www.qsl.net/aa6j/radiomb . Feel free to copy and use
      it as needed. (Just please don't sell it!)

      Please let me know if it's helpful, or how I can make
      it better.

      73,
      Bill Jeffrey
      AA6J
      aa6j@...

      http://invites.yahoo.com
    • John Bednar
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 12, 2000
        > Hi my name is max and I will be teaching the radio merit badge
        > at a summer
        > camp this summer. any suggestions from anybody?

        Max,

        I was a Radio Merit badge counselor for our troop
        at 1999 Summer Camp. You probably know that the
        requirements for the merit badge are in the front
        of the book and everything is explained in the
        text. The boys will be learning things that they have
        never been exposed to so don't be disappointed
        if most of the boys find other merit badges to work on.

        I took a few dipoles, a car battery, a charger, and a
        IC-706 to camp. We had a great hilltop location
        in the woods and the boys
        were really interested to talk with hams that were
        scouts when they were younger. They really got a
        kick out of watching me work stations on CW and
        were really interested in what the other station was
        sending in code. I also had along the ARRL world map
        so we could point to the DX locations. I made QSL
        cards on my printer with the Troop number and
        the event. The boys completed and signed the QSL
        card after each contact.

        We tried to arrange schedules with another troop
        but we never made contact. The plan last year was
        to use the posted JOTA frequencies. I expect to do the
        same thing this year. I have been taking the 706 on
        other trips since summer camp and some boys really
        look forward to setting up the antenna and tuning
        around. One ham answered our CQ's during summer camp
        and then again when we were in Salem, MA. The boys
        got a kick out of talking to him months later. He mentioned
        the QSL card that he received from Summer Camp.

        K3CT/3 will be on the air July 9 to July 14 from Northeast
        PA.

        John, K3CT
        k3ct@...