I'm an "Eagle Scout" and new to ScoutRadio can you help me ?

  • mr.vick157
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 28, 2006
      I'm an "Eagle Scout" for troop 157 in Tucson,AZ My troop has been to
      some JOTA in the past. can you tell me how can I get a Radio and how
      and when Scouts can get on the Radio and talk please

      Call or Email Me Matthew Vick Mr.vick157@... (cell)520-979-5499
    • Frank Krizan
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 28, 2006

        Hi Matthew,

        A great way to learn about amateur radio and get your questions answered is to contact a local amateur radio club.  I checked the American Radio Relay League’s web site club search and found the following clubs in Tucson :

        Name: OLD PUEBLO RADIO CLUB
        Specialties: General Interest, DX, Public Service/Emergency Comms, VHF/UHF
        Call sign: W7GV
        Services: Help for newcomers, Entry-level classes, Higher-level classes, Other
        Address: W7GV
            PO BOX 42601
            TUCSON , AZ 85733-2601
        Contact: DAVID E BROWN, KC7CQY
        Phone: (520) 908-0805 (D)
        E-mail: debmmb@...

        Name: SOUTHERN ARIZONA DX ASSOCIATION
        Specialties: Contest, DX
        Services: Help for newcomers, Entry-level classes, Higher-level classes
        Address: 8925 N MORNINGVIEW DR .
            TUCSON , AZ 85737
        Contact: CLIFFORD E HAUSER, KD6XH
        Phone: (520) 297-5885 (D) (520) 297-5885 (N)
        E-mail: w7kq@...

        Name: CATALINA RADIO CLUB [SSC]
        Specialties: General Interest, Repeater, Digital Modes, Public Service/Emergency Comms
        Call sign: W7SA
        Services: Help for newcomers, RFI help, Other
        Address: RAYTHEON SYSTEMS CO
           P.O. BOX 11337
           BLDG 842 MAIL STOP 12
            TUCSON , AZ 85734-1337
        Contact: EDWARD S SHERLOCK, K6ESS
        Phone: (520) 794-2771 (D) (520) 298-7976 (N)
        Web: http://packet.kvoa.com/crc/
        E-mail: w7sa@...

        Name: UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA ARC (School/Youth)
        Specialties: General Interest, Contest, School/Youth, Public Service/Emergency Comms, VHF/UHF
        Call sign: K7UAZ
        Services: Help for newcomers, Entry-level classes, Higher-level classes, Other
        Address: UA AMATEUR RADIO CLUB ENG BLD
           SIE, COLLEGE OF ENG. AND MINES
           OLD ENG BLDG 20,NEELSIE RM 303
            TUCSON , AZ 85721-0001
        Contact: JEFFREY M SELIGMAN, K2VNT
        Phone: (520) 793-5470 (D) (520) 795-6367 (N)
        Web: http://clubs.asua.arizona.edu/~k7uaz/
        E-mail: k7uaz@...

        Name: RADIO SOCIETY OF TUCSON
        Specialties: General Interest, Repeater, Digital Modes, School/Youth, Public Service/Emergency Comms, VHF/UHF
        Call sign: K7RST
        Services: Help for newcomers, Entry-level classes, Other
        Address: PO BOX 37005
            TUCSON , AZ 85740-7005
        Contact: NORMAN D MARTIN, K7OLD
        Phone: (520) 297-9562 (D)
        Web: http://www.hamsrus.com/rst
        E-mail: k7rst@...

        The American Radio Relay League at http://www.arrl.org/ has some excellent information.  You can learn about Ham Radio at http://www.hello-radio.org/

        I’m sure others on this group will share some additional info.  Getting in contact with a local club is probably the best way to learn.

        I wish you well … 73 (Morse Code and Ham Talk for “Best Regards”),

        Frank KR1ZAN

        Garland , TX

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 28, 2006
          Matthew, one of the best means for making contact between Scouting units and ham radio groups is through local amateur radio clubs. Here's a site that lists all ARRL-affiliated radio clubs in Arizona (33 of them) with contact email addresses and phone numbers:
          http://www2.arrl.org/FandES/field/club/clubsearch.phtml?state=AZ&selstate=Show+clubs+in+selected+state .

          Many such clubs participate in JOTA and other Scouting activities and are more than happy to help. I'm also in Arizona, but pretty far away (will be near Prescott next week) or I'd drop in and help. However, feel free to contact me by email if you can't find assistance nearby. There may be others on this list who are closer and can assist.

          73 de Fred K2FRD (Eagle Scout Class of '61)

          --
          73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD, VO2FS
          Editor-Publisher
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 30, 2006
            Matthew,

            Oh if only you were 150 miles north.  In Phx, we have Explorer Post 599 dedicated to Ham Radio and helping the Grand Canyon Council with radio MB and ham demonstrations.

            One of our former members from long ago (Post 599 is over 30 years old) is Arizona's ARRL Section Manager and all around good guy:
            Tom Fagan WB7NXH
            ARRL Section Manager Arizona
            Tucson Arizona
            520 574-1129
            wb7nxh@...
            http://www.arrl.org/sections/?sect=AZ
            http://www.qsl.net/arrlaz/
            Tom attempted to start an Explorer/Venture group in Tucson just a few years ago.  He would have some ideas for local help to you.  He also knows that Post 599 would be willing to come to Tucson for a demo or other opportunity to help our brothers to the South.  Contact him...I've also copied him on this.

            If you are ever in Mesa on a Tuesday night, contact me and you can visit our meeting.

            ----Tom   WA9OXY    (Eagle 1970)
            Tom Sharp, Advisor
            Explorer Post 599 -- W7BSA
            (602)569-6512