Re: Summer Camp Nets

  • kx1x@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 35 , Apr 24, 2006
      The Horace A. Moses Scout Reservation in Russell, MA (Pioneer Valley Council) does the Radio Merit Badge as an offering at all 4 weeks of summercamp in July. I do the RMB on M, T, and Th during the week.

      It is always preferrable to make domestic contacts when getting the kids on the air, as the domestic contacts are more apt to carry on a conversation with the boys. To make a contact with another scout camp would be the ultimate!

      Monday we are not typically on the air, because the class is only about 1 hour long. The scouts have vespers after dinner, then the opening campfire at 8:30.
      I use Monday to put them on information overload, and set the hook to be sure that those who are really interested return on T and Th.

      On Tuesday, we finish up on theory that wasn't discussed on M, and draw the pictures required... but, since they start at 7:PM, we can usually get the real go-getters on the air starting at about 8:30 PM to 10ish (Tuesday). On Thursday, it is 7:00 until we're finished getting the guys on the air.

      I usually have help from one of my Venture crew (all ham Crew DX), down on the radio while I test out the guys for their merit badge. (( K2BSA jambo-staffers will remember Mike, KB1FWN... 16, does a great job with the kids and has been doing that for me for 3 years )).

      We use the Venture Crew callsign NE1C (New England's #1 Crew).

      I would LOVE to sked anyone available from another summercamp on any T or Th during July!

      '73 and YIS de Kx1x,
      John J. Pise, Jr.
    • Fred Stevens K2FRD
      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 24 12:17 PM
        Nathaniel, please let us know how the SCCP works for you. In no small sense, it's still in the Beta testing phase and we may have to make adjustments, depending upon ham-Scouters' experiences.

        Howz it feel to be a Guinea pig? 8-)

        HF is off limits for me for the next couple weeks at least, now that the AZ Natl Forests are closed. Because of the AZ fires, I'm at a local county campground (directly in the direction -5 mi north- the Brins Fires will head if the winds pick up and still no rain) which is heavily forested and no way to get up an HF antenna high enough (vertical would be my only option, but I don't have my 50' mast with me). So, no Field Day, no SCCP, no HF until it rains or snows.

        73 de Fred K2FRD

        At 2:20 PM -0400 6/24/06, Nathaniel A. Frissell wrote:
        >Hi, everyone!
        >
        >I just wanted to let you know that I am off to scout camp today, and will
        >have W2FSR on the air within a week. I hope to talk to all of you on
        >SCCP.
        >
        >73 de Nathaniel, W2NAF

        Editor-Publisher
        http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/ocarg.htm