Re: Summer Camp Nets

  • biker51ferg
    Message 1 of 35 , Apr 23, 2006
      Nathan, Frank, all ham scouts and hams: I think this is a great idea
      also. Most camp schedules are similiar though not always identical.
      Camp Shendandoah (Staunton Va area, Stone Wall Jackson Area Council)
      has their family night on Wednesday. Time after lunch and at 9:00 PM
      sound usually do-able. I will be attending with our Troop 30 during
      June 18-24th and may have some guys working on Radio MB or who just
      earned it. I plan on setting up a low power station (battery op). I
      may try and see about some higher power operation if it can be worked
      out. It would be great to continue it into the scouting year when
      possible....Sounds Great.73's..Steve Ferguson
      Asm Tr 30 Staunton, VA
      N4PKJ

      P.S. Remember Bears rule the top of the Wood Badge Food Chain (said in
      Jest of course)

      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Krizan" <frank.krizan@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Nathaniel,
      >

      > What are your thoughts? Days, times, freqs?
      >

      > Picking a single time for a net is difficult, considering the 4 time
      zones.
      > Scout summer camps are rather busy days and nights, so picking freqs and
      > times for each time zone (or call district) and a nationwide freq(s) to
      > monitor for several hours might be better.
      >

      > I would tend to suggest a 20m frequency at 1 p.m. local time (so there's
      > actually 4 "nets") and another at 9 p.m. (local time) on 40m. I would
      > suggest no formal net, but, rather that scout camps and
      scouts/scouters at
      > home monitor the "Scout frequencies" plus or minus 10kHz from 12:45
      p.m. to
      > 1:15 p.m. local time and from 8:45 p.m. to 9:15 p.m. local time.
      >

      > I chose these times to reduce conflicts with other scout camp
      activities. 1
      > p.m. is after lunch and often a "rest period". 9 p.m. is usually
      after the
      > evening activities and free time prior to bed.
      >

      > Here's the chart:
      >

      > UTC Frequency
      >
      > 1700-2000 14280-14297kHz (please avoid the Maritime Net on
      14300)

      > 0100-0400 7260-7280KHz (note the US uses 7270kHz instead
      of 7290
      > for Scout calling frequency)
      >
      > All stations should monitor 15 minutes before to 15 minutes after 1
      p.m. and
      > 9 p.m. local time. Ideally, scout camp stations and others at home can
      > listen around each hour UTC whenever they have time. Give a call on
      a clear
      > frequency in the recommended range and/or listen for scout camps
      calling CQ.
      > Let's use the term "Scout Camps on the Air" (SCOTA).
      >

      > Alaska and Hawaii are a little disadvantaged, however, they could
      join in
      > prior to dinner and during the morning possibly right after breakfast.
      >

      > Your thoughts? And, those of any others?
      >

      > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
      >
      > Garland, TX
      >

      > _____

    • Fred Stevens K2FRD
      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 24, 2006
        Nathaniel, please let us know how the SCCP works for you. In no small sense, it's still in the Beta testing phase and we may have to make adjustments, depending upon ham-Scouters' experiences.

        Howz it feel to be a Guinea pig? 8-)

        HF is off limits for me for the next couple weeks at least, now that the AZ Natl Forests are closed. Because of the AZ fires, I'm at a local county campground (directly in the direction -5 mi north- the Brins Fires will head if the winds pick up and still no rain) which is heavily forested and no way to get up an HF antenna high enough (vertical would be my only option, but I don't have my 50' mast with me). So, no Field Day, no SCCP, no HF until it rains or snows.

        73 de Fred K2FRD

        At 2:20 PM -0400 6/24/06, Nathaniel A. Frissell wrote:
        >Hi, everyone!
        >
        >I just wanted to let you know that I am off to scout camp today, and will
        >have W2FSR on the air within a week. I hope to talk to all of you on
        >SCCP.
        >
        >73 de Nathaniel, W2NAF

        Editor-Publisher
        http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/ocarg.htm