RE: [ScoutRadio] Summer Camp Nets

  • Chris Kelly
    Message 1 of 35 , Apr 22, 2006
      Hello:
      This is a good thread, thanks, Nathaniel.
      I think the "lunch and dinner" schedule is a good one, at the
      camps here we have a weekly schedule like the one Frank described.
      Monday through Thursday would be the highest likelihood of
      our being on the air with scouts in the evenings, but I would
      not want to deter others from using the same times of day and
      frequencies if their camps run differently.

      Thanks also for noting the US frequency plan (it avoids the
      7290 AM Calling freq in the ARRL bandplan, unless of course,
      you want to run AM!).

      I am optimistic that we will have more volunteer hams coming
      up from "nearby" cities to help put the station at
      camp on the air more often this summer, and knowing when and where
      to look for other camps is a great idea. We have spent several
      summers building a nice station at camp (better than my home
      antennas!) and I'd love to see it get more use, and give the
      scouts a start with ham radio.

      73,
      Chris Kelly, K0PF
      Trustee W0BSA
      Ben Delatour Scout Ranch
      Red Feather Lakes, Colorado
    • Fred Stevens K2FRD
      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 24, 2006
        Nathaniel, please let us know how the SCCP works for you. In no small sense, it's still in the Beta testing phase and we may have to make adjustments, depending upon ham-Scouters' experiences.

        Howz it feel to be a Guinea pig? 8-)

        HF is off limits for me for the next couple weeks at least, now that the AZ Natl Forests are closed. Because of the AZ fires, I'm at a local county campground (directly in the direction -5 mi north- the Brins Fires will head if the winds pick up and still no rain) which is heavily forested and no way to get up an HF antenna high enough (vertical would be my only option, but I don't have my 50' mast with me). So, no Field Day, no SCCP, no HF until it rains or snows.

        73 de Fred K2FRD

        At 2:20 PM -0400 6/24/06, Nathaniel A. Frissell wrote:
        >Hi, everyone!
        >
        >I just wanted to let you know that I am off to scout camp today, and will
        >have W2FSR on the air within a week. I hope to talk to all of you on
        >SCCP.
        >
        >73 de Nathaniel, W2NAF

        Editor-Publisher
        http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/ocarg.htm