RE: [ScoutRadio] Summer Camp Nets

  • Frank Krizan
    Message 1 of 35 , Apr 22, 2006

      Hi Nathaniel,

      What are your thoughts?  Days, times, freqs?

      Picking a single time for a net is difficult, considering the 4 time zones.  Scout summer camps are rather busy days and nights, so picking freqs and times for each time zone (or call district) and a nationwide freq(s) to monitor for several hours might be better.

      I would tend to suggest a 20m frequency at 1 p.m. local time (so there’s actually 4 “nets”) and another at 9 p.m. (local time) on 40m.  I would suggest no formal net, but, rather that scout camps and scouts/scouters at home monitor the “Scout frequencies” plus or minus 10kHz from 12:45 p.m. to 1:15 p.m. local time and from 8:45 p.m. to 9:15 p.m. local time.

      I chose these times to reduce conflicts with other scout camp activities.  1 p.m. is after lunch and often a “rest period”.  9 p.m. is usually after the evening activities and free time prior to bed.

      Here’s the chart:

      UTC                    Frequency

      1700-2000           14280-14297kHz (please avoid the Maritime Net on 14300)

      0100-0400           7260-7280KHz (note the US uses 7270kHz instead of 7290 for Scout calling frequency)

      All stations should monitor 15 minutes before to 15 minutes after 1 p.m. and 9 p.m. local time.  Ideally, scout camp stations and others at home can listen around each hour UTC whenever they have time.  Give a call on a clear frequency in the recommended range and/or listen for scout camps calling CQ.  Let’s use the term “Scout Camps on the Air” (SCOTA).

      Alaska and Hawaii are a little disadvantaged, however, they could join in prior to dinner and during the morning possibly right after breakfast.

      Your thoughts?   And, those of any others?

      73, Frank KR1ZAN

      Garland, TX

      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 24, 2006
        Nathaniel, please let us know how the SCCP works for you. In no small sense, it's still in the Beta testing phase and we may have to make adjustments, depending upon ham-Scouters' experiences.

        Howz it feel to be a Guinea pig? 8-)

        HF is off limits for me for the next couple weeks at least, now that the AZ Natl Forests are closed. Because of the AZ fires, I'm at a local county campground (directly in the direction -5 mi north- the Brins Fires will head if the winds pick up and still no rain) which is heavily forested and no way to get up an HF antenna high enough (vertical would be my only option, but I don't have my 50' mast with me). So, no Field Day, no SCCP, no HF until it rains or snows.

        73 de Fred K2FRD

        At 2:20 PM -0400 6/24/06, Nathaniel A. Frissell wrote:
        >Hi, everyone!
        >
        >I just wanted to let you know that I am off to scout camp today, and will
        >have W2FSR on the air within a week. I hope to talk to all of you on
        >SCCP.
        >
        >73 de Nathaniel, W2NAF

        Editor-Publisher
        http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/ocarg.htm