RE: [scoutradio] Radio Merit Badge

  • Troop 54
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 11, 2000
      Troop 54 is located in Veneta Oregon. It's a little town west of Eugene OR.
      From: Troop 54 <t_54@...>
      To: scoutradio@onelist.com <scoutradio@onelist.com>
      Date: Tuesday, April 11, 2000 6:59 PM
      Subject: [scoutradio] Radio Merit Badge

      >Hi my name is max and I will be teaching the radio merit badge at a summer
      >camp this summer. any suggestions from anybody?
      >
      >Thanks Max.

      >http://im.yahoo.com

      >High rates giving you headaches? The 0% APR Introductory Rate from
      >Capital One. 9.9% Fixed thereafter!

    • Bill Jeffrey
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 12, 2000
        I put together some material which walks you through
        all the radio merit badge requirements. It is
        available on my website at
        www.qsl.net/aa6j/radiomb . Feel free to copy and use
        it as needed. (Just please don't sell it!)

        Please let me know if it's helpful, or how I can make
        it better.

        73,
        Bill Jeffrey
        AA6J
        aa6j@...

        http://invites.yahoo.com
      • John Bednar
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 12, 2000
          > Hi my name is max and I will be teaching the radio merit badge
          > at a summer
          > camp this summer. any suggestions from anybody?

          Max,

          I was a Radio Merit badge counselor for our troop
          at 1999 Summer Camp. You probably know that the
          requirements for the merit badge are in the front
          of the book and everything is explained in the
          text. The boys will be learning things that they have
          never been exposed to so don't be disappointed
          if most of the boys find other merit badges to work on.

          I took a few dipoles, a car battery, a charger, and a
          IC-706 to camp. We had a great hilltop location
          in the woods and the boys
          were really interested to talk with hams that were
          scouts when they were younger. They really got a
          kick out of watching me work stations on CW and
          were really interested in what the other station was
          sending in code. I also had along the ARRL world map
          so we could point to the DX locations. I made QSL
          cards on my printer with the Troop number and
          the event. The boys completed and signed the QSL
          card after each contact.

          We tried to arrange schedules with another troop
          but we never made contact. The plan last year was
          to use the posted JOTA frequencies. I expect to do the
          same thing this year. I have been taking the 706 on
          other trips since summer camp and some boys really
          look forward to setting up the antenna and tuning
          around. One ham answered our CQ's during summer camp
          and then again when we were in Salem, MA. The boys
          got a kick out of talking to him months later. He mentioned
          the QSL card that he received from Summer Camp.

          K3CT/3 will be on the air July 9 to July 14 from Northeast
          PA.

          John, K3CT
          k3ct@...