Re: [scoutradio] Radio Merit Badge

  • Ray J. Vaughan
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 11, 2000
      A quick Internet search for 'radio merit badge' on Altavista found this:

      http://www.arrl.org/ead/scouthbk/
      http://www.qsl.net/aa6j/radiomb/
      http://www.qsl.net/ae9k/radio.html
      http://www.rulek.com/troop923/merit_badges/radio.html
      http://www.crwflags.com/4rd/mb/radio-r.html
      http://t1250.oao.com/merit/RADIO.HTM
      http://www.neosplice.com/~troop67/mb093.htm
      http://www.mv.com/org/troop-266/radio.htm
      http://www.bytemeusa.com/scouts/radio/radio_merit_badge.html

      I know there' will be a lot of duplication there, but it may be a good start for you. Are you a ham? If not, check with some local hams, you'll need them for radio contacts anyway. Some might be willing to join you in teaching the classes.

      Good luck. And thanks so much for doing this.

      At 06:54 PM 4/11/00 -0700, you wrote:
      >Hi my name is max and I will be teaching the radio merit badge at a summer
      >camp this summer. any suggestions from anybody?
      >
      >Thanks Max.

      Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE, CERT
      KD4BBM PG-7-15266
      http://www.rayvaughan.com/
      ray@...
      ray@...
    • Troop 54
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 11, 2000
        I Currently hold a tech. license and plan on upgrading to general before camp. It sounds like we will have either an advanced or extra class ham up for the three weeks. We are also considering doing the electricity merit badge.

        Max
        A quick Internet search for 'radio merit badge' on Altavista found this:

        http://www.arrl.org/ead/scouthbk/
        http://www.qsl.net/aa6j/radiomb/
        http://www.qsl.net/ae9k/radio.html
        http://www.rulek.com/troop923/merit_badges/radio.html
        http://www.crwflags.com/4rd/mb/radio-r.html
        http://t1250.oao.com/merit/RADIO.HTM
        http://www.neosplice.com/~troop67/mb093.htm
        http://www.mv.com/org/troop-266/radio.htm
        http://www.bytemeusa.com/scouts/radio/radio_merit_badge.html

        I know there' will be a lot of duplication there, but it may be a good start for you.   Are you a ham?  If not, check with some local hams, you'll need them for radio contacts anyway.   Some might be willing to join you in teaching the classes.

        Good luck.   And thanks so much for doing this.

        At 06:54 PM 4/11/00 -0700, you wrote:
        >Hi my name is max and I will be teaching the radio merit badge at a summer
        >camp this summer. any suggestions from anybody?
        >
        >Thanks Max.

              Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE, CERT
              KD4BBM  PG-7-15266
              http://www.rayvaughan.com/
              ray@...
              ray@...

      • Bob Bruninga
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 12, 2000
          On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Troop 54 wrote:

          > Hi my name is max and I will be teaching the radio merit badge at a summer
          > camp this summer. any suggestions from anybody?

          Wow, neat job! I taught signaling merit badge back when I was a
          counselor. My "classroom" was just a clearing in the woods and a log.
          For the Radio badge, I would envision a log bench with several radios on
          it all powered by solar power and a battery (for cloudy days).

          Tell us where your camp is, and then we should be able to find some guys
          to help you gather up some equipment. I envision the following in
          increasing order of complexity and investment.

          CB radio (should be able to find one for about $5 at any flea market)
          Kids HT's (Kids 49 mhz walkie talkies, probably already have some)
          FRS Radios (At least a pair. Usually bought new on sale for under $29)
          HF radio (Now we are getting serious)
          2m HT
          Packet TNC (Connect on 144.39 MHz and you should be able to talk
          Laptop (worldwide via APRS...
          UHF HT (5 times a day, you can work the FM Voice Satellites
          (With this HT as the downlink and the 2mm HT as the uplink

          Lots of opportunity... SHow 'em the toys and then show 'em the real thing
          in HAM radio is worth moving up to.

          de WB4APR, Bob
        • Alan Stumpf
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 25, 2000
            Question what should we interperate this Radio merit badge requirement since
            the licensing has changed? Instead of Novice and Technician : Technician and
            General?

            7.a.(5) Explain some differences between the Novice Class license and the
            Technician Class license requirements and privileges. Explain who gives
            amateur radio exams.

            How did everyone's Field Day Scouting event go.

            73's

            Alan Stumpf, KB3DHC
            KB3DHC@...
            http://pages.prodigy.net/aws69/
            Assistant Scoutmaster Troop 377
            Greater Pittsburgh Council
            Enda Lechauhanne 57 | >>===>===> |
            3rd Assistant Scoutmaster 2001 Jamboree Troop 5?? (RED)
            North Hills Amateur Radio Club
            JOTA Committee Chair
          • W J Jeffrey
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 26, 2000
              Since the requirement as currently written asks about the (old) two
              different entry-level licenses and now there is only one, I now ask the
              Scouts to:

              7.a.(5) Explain the entry level (Technician Class) license requirements and
              privileges. Explain who gives amateur radio exams.

              However, I do discuss with them the General and Extra privileges, and I like
              Alan's suggestion. The Scouts should at least understand that higher class
              licenses are available which allow the use of worldwide (HF) frequencies.

              > From: "Alan Stumpf" <aws69@...>
              > Question what should we interperate this Radio merit badge requirement
              since
              > the licensing has changed? Instead of Novice and Technician : Technician
              and
              > General?

              Bill Jeffrey AA6J
              aa6j@...
              Radio Merit Badge web page www.qsl.net/aa6j/radiomb
            • Bob Bruninga
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 26, 2000
                I hope one section discusses the Family Radio Service. Describes what it
                is, what good radio procedures are, and how valuable FRS radios can be in
                Scouting and family communications. Then finish the section with a subtle
                list of its shortcomings... as comapred to HAM radio...

                Same thing about CELLULAR. A scout (and the public) should understand how
                it works, AND WHAT ITS LIMITATIONS ARE...

                de WB4APR, Bob
                On Mon, 26 Jun
                2000, W J Jeffrey wrote:

                > Since the requirement as currently written asks about the (old) two
                > different entry-level licenses and now there is only one, I now ask the
                > Scouts to:
                >
                > 7.a.(5) Explain the entry level (Technician Class) license requirements and
                > privileges. Explain who gives amateur radio exams.
                >
                > However, I do discuss with them the General and Extra privileges, and I like
                > Alan's suggestion. The Scouts should at least understand that higher class
                > licenses are available which allow the use of worldwide (HF) frequencies.
                >
                > > From: "Alan Stumpf" <aws69@...>
                > > Question what should we interperate this Radio merit badge requirement
                > since
                > > the licensing has changed? Instead of Novice and Technician : Technician
                > and
                > > General?
                >
                > Bill Jeffrey AA6J
                > aa6j@...
                > Radio Merit Badge web page www.qsl.net/aa6j/radiomb

                APRSdos REPLY/COMMENT:

                Reply mail addr: wb4apr@...
                US mail address: 115 old Farm Ct, Glen Burnie, MD 21060
                See DAYTON97 HISTORY: http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/dayton.html
                See Maryland APRS LIVE: http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs.html
                See GPS on ANY radio: http://www.tapr.org/tapr/html/mic-e.html
              • edinspect
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 3, 2011
                  I am helping with the radio merit Badge offered onboard BB 62 (NJ2BB) this Sunday - 4, December. I will be in the `Shack' from 0900 to 1200 hrs local time.
                  After the presentation in down on the mess deck the scouts come to the shack about 1030 hrs for a visit and on air contact. We try for scout frequencies before hitting the local repeater. If anyone happens to be listening please respond. The radio community has always assisted with the QSO's.
                  Thank you much, Ed-N2PV
                • michael harla
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 3, 2011
                    Ed,

                    If you let me know which repeaters you might use, I could monitor for a contact.

                    From Vineland, I have little trouble working through 145.390, 146.820, 146.895/192.2, 147.255/179.9, 147.345, 442.300

                    I can also work the BEARS, U of P, and WAN (441.700) linked systems, tho I figure you won't be using them.

                    Sorry I'm not set up for HF at present.

                    Please reply to: n2mho@...

                    73 & good luck, Mike n2mho

                    > Badge offered onboard BB 62 (NJ2BB) this Sunday - 4,
                    > December. I will be in the `Shack' from 0900 to 1200 hrs
                    > local time.
                    > After the presentation in down on the mess deck the scouts
                    > come to the shack about 1030 hrs for a visit and on air
                    > contact. We try for scout frequencies before hitting the
                    > local repeater. If anyone happens to be listening please
                    > respond. The radio community has always assisted with the
                    > QSO's.
                    > Thank you much, Ed-N2PV

                  • Susan Hansen
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 8, 2011
                      The Lake Huron Area Council in Michigan will be doing the Radio Merit Badge at Merit Badge College at Delta College on Saturday Dec 10.  If we have a HF set up, we'll be on the regular scouting frequencies.  Otherwise, we'll be on 146.52 or .58, or the Bay City, Saginaw, or Flint Repeaters.  We might be able to hit Pleasant Valley.   Badge runs between 8am-4pm.

                      Susan, KB8DSR
                    • Jeremy Drummond
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 14
                        Hello all,

                        I am in a crunch. I need a presentation or material to teach a group of 8 scouts. I need this by Saturday, I taught it last year but that laptop crashed and burned shortly after sadly. I will have 3 computers with me so I have a few back ups :) thanks guys!

                        Jeremy KK4SDN

                        Sent from my MW800
                      • Blaine Kubesh
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 14
                          There are a few presentations on the net that you can use.  Have you seen these:

                          Also, do a google search for “radio merit badge filetype:ppt”

                          -Blaine
                          K5KUB

                          On Jan 14, 2015, at 4:37 PM, Jeremy Drummond pergenjd@... [ScoutRadio] <ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                          Hello all,

                          I am in a crunch. I need a presentation or material to teach a group of 8 scouts. I need this by Saturday, I taught it last year but that laptop crashed and burned shortly after sadly. I will have 3 computers with me so I have a few back ups :) thanks guys!

                          Jeremy KK4SDN

                          Sent from my MW800

                        • Elden Morris
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 14
                            Your best bet would be to go to www.k2bsa.org. They have a power point presentation you can download for the merit badge class. When you bring up the page, click on links. The next page will have the presentation.

                            Good luck and 73's.

                            Yours in Scouting,

                            ELDEN MORRIS, N1MN
                            Radio Merit Badge Counselor
                            Assistant District Commissioner
                            Silver Comet District, Atlanta Area Council

                            On Wednesday, January 14, 2015 9:13 PM, "Jeremy Drummond pergenjd@... [ScoutRadio]" <ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                            Hello all,

                            I am in a crunch. I need a presentation or material to teach a group of 8 scouts. I need this by Saturday, I taught it last year but that laptop crashed and burned shortly after sadly. I will have 3 computers with me so I have a few back ups :) thanks guys!

                            Jeremy KK4SDN

                            Sent from my MW800

                          • Don Kunst
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 14

                              Jeremy,

                              Here is the PPT slides and workbook used at the National Jamboree.

                              http://www.k2bsa.net/radio-merit-badge-2/

                              See if this works for you.

                              Don

                              Don Kunst
                              EMT-P Tactical, BSIT, ASM T151, W3LNE
                              SCTF IMT, COMT
                              ShelterBox Ambassador
                              717-712-9116 cell

                              I am in a crunch. I need a presentation or material to teach a group of 8 scouts. I need this by Saturday, I taught it last year but that laptop crashed and burned shortly after sadly. I will have 3 computers with me so I have a few back ups :) thanks guys!

                              Jeremy KK4SDN

                              Sent from my MW800

                            • Allan Batteiger
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 14