Re: [scoutradio] Radio Merit Badge

  • Novatech Com. LTD.
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 11 7:05 PM
      Where is Troop 54 located ????

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Troop 54 <t_54@...>
      To: scoutradio@onelist.com <scoutradio@onelist.com>
      Date: Tuesday, April 11, 2000 6:59 PM
      Subject: [scoutradio] Radio Merit Badge

      >Hi my name is max and I will be teaching the radio merit badge at a summer
      >camp this summer. any suggestions from anybody?
      >
      >Thanks Max.

      >http://im.yahoo.com

      >High rates giving you headaches? The 0% APR Introductory Rate from
      >Capital One. 9.9% Fixed thereafter!

    • Troop 54
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 11 9:02 PM
        Troop 54 is located in Veneta Oregon. It's a little town west of Eugene OR.
        >Hi my name is max and I will be teaching the radio merit badge at a summer
        >camp this summer. any suggestions from anybody?
        >
        >Thanks Max.

        >http://im.yahoo.com

        >High rates giving you headaches? The 0% APR Introductory Rate from
        >Capital One. 9.9% Fixed thereafter!

      • Bill Jeffrey
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 12 7:03 AM
          I put together some material which walks you through
          all the radio merit badge requirements. It is
          available on my website at
          www.qsl.net/aa6j/radiomb . Feel free to copy and use
          it as needed. (Just please don't sell it!)

          Please let me know if it's helpful, or how I can make
          it better.

          73,
          Bill Jeffrey
          AA6J
          aa6j@...

          http://invites.yahoo.com
        • John Bednar
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 12 3:06 PM
            > Hi my name is max and I will be teaching the radio merit badge
            > at a summer
            > camp this summer. any suggestions from anybody?

            Max,

            I was a Radio Merit badge counselor for our troop
            at 1999 Summer Camp. You probably know that the
            requirements for the merit badge are in the front
            of the book and everything is explained in the
            text. The boys will be learning things that they have
            never been exposed to so don't be disappointed
            if most of the boys find other merit badges to work on.

            I took a few dipoles, a car battery, a charger, and a
            IC-706 to camp. We had a great hilltop location
            in the woods and the boys
            were really interested to talk with hams that were
            scouts when they were younger. They really got a
            kick out of watching me work stations on CW and
            were really interested in what the other station was
            sending in code. I also had along the ARRL world map
            so we could point to the DX locations. I made QSL
            cards on my printer with the Troop number and
            the event. The boys completed and signed the QSL
            card after each contact.

            We tried to arrange schedules with another troop
            but we never made contact. The plan last year was
            to use the posted JOTA frequencies. I expect to do the
            same thing this year. I have been taking the 706 on
            other trips since summer camp and some boys really
            look forward to setting up the antenna and tuning
            around. One ham answered our CQ's during summer camp
            and then again when we were in Salem, MA. The boys
            got a kick out of talking to him months later. He mentioned
            the QSL card that he received from Summer Camp.

            K3CT/3 will be on the air July 9 to July 14 from Northeast
            PA.

            John, K3CT
            k3ct@...