Re: [ScoutRadio] Amateur Radio at Scout Camp

  • Nathaniel A. Frissell
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 22, 2006
      You're welcome, Dave. Good luck with that. If you have any more
      questions, please ask.

      Everyone- do you think that we could set up a summer camp net that meets
      nightly during the summer camp season on one of the HF scout
      frequencies?

      I think that would be a good way to get camps to work together and get
      scouts connected with other scouts. After dinner each evening might be a
      good time. This would be 2330z for me.

      73 for now...

      de Nathaniel, W2NAF

    • Adsit
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 22, 2006
        Nathaniel,

        That sounds like a great idea! I'd rather not make a committment quite yet until I actually have a station on the air there. I should have a better feel in the Spring.

        BTW, I think I had a QSO with you on July 4th on 40 meters...W2FSR...

        Thanks again for all the info.

        73,
        Dave KG4BIR
        You're welcome, Dave.  Good luck with that.  If you have any more
        questions, please ask.

        Everyone- do you think that we could set up a summer camp net that meets
        nightly during the summer camp season on one of the HF scout
        frequencies?

        I think that would be a good way to get camps to work together and get
        scouts connected with other scouts.  After dinner each evening might be a
        good time.  This would be 2330z for me.

        73 for now...

        de Nathaniel, W2NAF

        On Sun, 22 Jan 2006, Adsit wrote:

        > Thanks Nathaniel, I'll go take a look at your files. I'm thinking it's going to take me a while to get any kind of technology program at camp but certainly a great idea and one that I will continue to pursue.
        >
        > Thanks again,
        > Dave
        > KG4BIR

      • Gary Wilson
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 23, 2006
          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Nathaniel A. Frissell"
          <w2naf@a...> wrote:

          > Hi, Frank and Group. I have uploaded the plans to all of badges
          that my
          > tech center teaches during the summer to the files area. I hope
          that
          > helps!
          >
          > 73 de Nathaniel, W2NAF

          Nathaniel:

          Great stuff! I knew you had a good program at Forrestburg due to
          all the NTS messages coming from Scouts at your camp going back to
          Monmouth County each summer. Now I know why!

          It also looks like your technology program was sponsored by the
          Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association from Fort
          Monmouth. If so, other councils might look for a tech oriented
          company or organization to sponsor a technical Merit Badge track
          that includes Radio MB. Many professional organizations are looking
          for ways to encourage youth to pursue science and engineering
          careers. For a few thousand dollars a summer, they could pay for a
          staff member to teach a few technical merit badges to get things
          started.

          Similarly, Bucks County County Council's Ockaninckon Scout
          Reservation has an elaborate science center sponsored by GE Betz.
          You can see what the Scouts got for giving them the "naming rights"
          at http://www.bma2.org/Ockanickon/Welcome.html . They have two
          staff members run it each summer. It's not much different than
          naming a dining hall after someone who paid to have it built.

          Ockanickon also has a separate ham station KB3BOY where Radio Merit
          Badge is taught in the evenings by volunteer leaders, staff members
          and local hams from the Warminster Amateur Radio Club. The Ham
          station predates the science center and is located in the center of
          the camp at the highest point in a year round building. You can see
          by looking up KB3BOY on qrz.com

          Great ideas being exchanged here.

          73

          Gary Wilson, K2GW