Re: [ScoutRadio] Amateur Radio at Scout Camp

  • Frank Krizan
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 22, 2006
      Nathaniel,

      Wow, what great resources.  You folks have done a great job.

      73, Frank KR1ZAN
      Garland, TX

      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 22, 2006
        You're welcome, Dave. Good luck with that. If you have any more
        questions, please ask.

        Everyone- do you think that we could set up a summer camp net that meets
        nightly during the summer camp season on one of the HF scout
        frequencies?

        I think that would be a good way to get camps to work together and get
        scouts connected with other scouts. After dinner each evening might be a
        good time. This would be 2330z for me.

        73 for now...

        de Nathaniel, W2NAF

      • Adsit
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 22, 2006
          Nathaniel,

          That sounds like a great idea! I'd rather not make a committment quite yet until I actually have a station on the air there. I should have a better feel in the Spring.

          BTW, I think I had a QSO with you on July 4th on 40 meters...W2FSR...

          Thanks again for all the info.

          73,
          Dave KG4BIR
          You're welcome, Dave.  Good luck with that.  If you have any more
          questions, please ask.

          Everyone- do you think that we could set up a summer camp net that meets
          nightly during the summer camp season on one of the HF scout
          frequencies?

          I think that would be a good way to get camps to work together and get
          scouts connected with other scouts.  After dinner each evening might be a
          good time.  This would be 2330z for me.

          73 for now...

          de Nathaniel, W2NAF

          On Sun, 22 Jan 2006, Adsit wrote:

          > Thanks Nathaniel, I'll go take a look at your files. I'm thinking it's going to take me a while to get any kind of technology program at camp but certainly a great idea and one that I will continue to pursue.
          >
          > Thanks again,
          > Dave
          > KG4BIR

        • Gary Wilson
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 23, 2006
            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Nathaniel A. Frissell"
            <w2naf@a...> wrote:

            > Hi, Frank and Group. I have uploaded the plans to all of badges
            that my
            > tech center teaches during the summer to the files area. I hope
            that
            > helps!
            >
            > 73 de Nathaniel, W2NAF

            Nathaniel:

            Great stuff! I knew you had a good program at Forrestburg due to
            all the NTS messages coming from Scouts at your camp going back to
            Monmouth County each summer. Now I know why!

            It also looks like your technology program was sponsored by the
            Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association from Fort
            Monmouth. If so, other councils might look for a tech oriented
            company or organization to sponsor a technical Merit Badge track
            that includes Radio MB. Many professional organizations are looking
            for ways to encourage youth to pursue science and engineering
            careers. For a few thousand dollars a summer, they could pay for a
            staff member to teach a few technical merit badges to get things
            started.

            Similarly, Bucks County County Council's Ockaninckon Scout
            Reservation has an elaborate science center sponsored by GE Betz.
            You can see what the Scouts got for giving them the "naming rights"
            at http://www.bma2.org/Ockanickon/Welcome.html . They have two
            staff members run it each summer. It's not much different than
            naming a dining hall after someone who paid to have it built.

            Ockanickon also has a separate ham station KB3BOY where Radio Merit
            Badge is taught in the evenings by volunteer leaders, staff members
            and local hams from the Warminster Amateur Radio Club. The Ham
            station predates the science center and is located in the center of
            the camp at the highest point in a year round building. You can see
            by looking up KB3BOY on qrz.com

            Great ideas being exchanged here.

            73

            Gary Wilson, K2GW