Re: [ScoutRadio] Digest Number 669

  • Allan R. Batteiger
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 14, 2006
      Frank
      I did not place an age limit on the scouts. The announcement about
      the class was sent over the Boyscout GreatPlainsBSA email leader list.
      The class had 11 people in it, 4 were scouts, 6 were under 25, we had a
      good mix of scouts, ladies, Homeland Security, and FD attend the class.
      More classes are currently being scheduled. I have also had request for
      General and Extra classes. These are being looked into for possible
      scheduling in the future.

      Allan Batteiger
      WB5QNG

    • Frank Krizan
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 14, 2006
        Allan,

        Do you have a syllabus/outline that you could share with the Group?

        ... and again, great work.

        73, Frank KR1ZAN
        Garland, TX

        Frank Krizan wrote:

        > Hi Allan,
        >
        > Fantastic.  I like the idea of a two day course.  It's difficult to
        > keep youth interested over a multi-week course, plus school (and the
        > 'fumes') distract them.  Something like a weekend course, maybe at a
        > camp with A/C facilities, keeps them together, no TV, computers,
        > 'fumes', and voila -- learning.  I think there needs to be followup
        > for sometime after the course to fill in the blanks and answer
        > questions prompted by the course.

        > Did you limit the age of the scouts who could attend the course?  My
        > experience has shown that using a high adventure age of 13-1/2 almost
        > guarantees a very high pass rate.

        > We need to hear of more successes such as yours on this group.

        > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
        > Garland, TX

      • Allan R. Batteiger
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 14, 2006
          Frank
          Tony and I are cleaning up the PPT presentations a bit. We used
          several videos from the net, "the ARRL Walter Cronkite", Jay Leno "txt
          vs Morse", a Electrical safety video, Along with the NYT course
          outline. We mostly followed the NYT instructor guide along with some
          power points that we modified. I can upload all of this but it will
          take over 100mb. The PPT are about 14mb.

          Allan R. Batteiger
          WB5QNG

        • Gary Wilson
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 16, 2006
            Hey Guys!

            When responding to message in this group (especially a Digest!) please
            take time to cut the previous message in your reply down to something
            meaningful and relavent or delete it entirely.

            Some the previous replies in this thread had a half dozen previous
            messages attached! If folks want to go back, they can always go to
            the website and read the thrtead there.

            Thanks,

            Gary, K2GW
          • J.Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 18 1:27 PM

              Alan,

              Have you gotten time to upload either the long or short form of this PPT yet?

              I would like both if possible.

              73!

              YIS,

              Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

              201.314.6964

              Frank Krizan wrote:

              > Allan,

              > Do you have a syllabus/outline that you could share with the Group?

              > ... and again, great work.

              > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
              > Garland , TX

              w:st="on">Radio MB widely available and provide a NCT

> [...]

              >     > personal improvement ... personal
              challenges.   And ... of

              >     course ...

              >     > lots of other activities for non-operating
              times ... and FOOD.

              >     >

              >     > I certainly like the idea of getting newly
              licensed scouts on

              >     the air

              >     > for JOTA.  JOTA could also become a
              reunion of sorts from year

              >     >     to year
              >
              >     > for scouts who take part in summertime
              activities.

              >     >

              >     > *** I'll ask again -- anyone know what the
              ARRL ad hoc

              >     committee on
              >
              >     > scouting is doing?  Any postings of
              their current

              >     thinking?  Any
              >
              >     > readers contributing to their deliberation?

              TX

              Message -----

              <mailto:n2cop@...>

              w:st="on">ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com

              >     <mailto: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com >

              >     >     *Sent:* Thursday,
              January 12, 2006 11:34 AM

              >     >     *Subject:* RE:
              [ScoutRadio] Digest Number 669

              >     >

              >     >     Dear Gary et al,

              >     >

              >     >     I agree to a degree
              with Frank that January may not be the

              >     optimal

              >     >     time for

              >     >     a National Radio
              Merit Badge Day, and that local

              >     councils should
              >
              >     >     have some

              >     >     scheduling
              flexibility.  That said, I think earning

              >     the badge
              >
              >     >     needs to be

              >     >     elevated across all
              councils; specifically, councils

              >     should
              >
              >     >     encourage Radio

              >     >     Merit Badge classes
              be held concurrently with JOTA

              >     activities.
              >
              >     >

              >     >     In addition, I'd like
              to see a 4 event calendar that could

              >     >     culminate with

              >     >     JOTA weekend.
              These events would be: 1) Radio Merit Badge

              >     classes

              >     >     coinciding with Kids
              Day in early June, 2) Scouts are

              >     invited to
              >
              >     >     Field Day

              >     >     sites in late June
              for designated "Scout Hours", 3)

              >     scouts go on
              >
              >     >     to earn

              >     >     their Tech license
              (or perhaps General in the possible

              >     code-free
              >
              >     >     HF license

              >     >     future) in
              July/August during summer break, 4) newly

              >     licensed
              >
              >     >     Scouts take

              >     >     the helm during JOTA
              in October.  In other words, BSA and

              >     ARRL would

              >     >     dedicate June 1 to
              Third Week in October as a "Radio

              >     Active"
              >
              >     time.

              >     >

              >     >
              w:st="on">Gary 's suggestions are part of what ARRL's Ad Hoc

              Message-----

              >     >     From:
              w:st="on">ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com

              >     [mailto: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com ]

              >     >     Sent: Thursday,
              January 12, 2006 11:24 AM

              >     >     To:
              w:st="on">ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com

              >     >     Subject: [ScoutRadio]
              Digest Number 669

              >     >

              >     >     There are 3 messages
              in this issue.

              >     >

              >     >     Topics in this
              digest:

              >     >

              >     >           1. Boy Scout
              Merit Badge Day

              From: "Gary Wilson" <k2gw@...>

              >     >           2. Re: Boy
              Scout Merit Badge Day

              From: "John Brewer" <n7mfq@...>

              >     >           3. Re: Boy
              Scout Merit Badge Day

              From: "Frank Krizan" <frank.krizan@...>

              Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 21:32:37 -0000

              From: "Gary Wilson" <k2gw@...>

              >     >     Subject: Boy Scout
              Merit Badge Day

              >     >

              >     >     We just completed our
              second annual Boy Scout Merit

              >     Badge Day at
              >
              >     >     Sarnoff Library in
              w:st="on"> Princeton NJ .  With only a single

              >     e-mail
              >
              >     >     announcement, we had
              29 Scouts earn Radio Merit Badge

              >     in one
              >
              >     day with

              >     >     4 leaders and 19 hams
              assisting.  Many of those Scouts

              >     will
              >
              >     noew be

              >     >     starting a Tech
              course next week.

              >     >

              >     >     Last year with lots
              of publicity we had 63 Scouts.  Next

              >     year we'll

              >     >
              >     aim for the middle by doing two e-mails.

              >     >

              >     >     With all of the
              PowerPoint materials here in Scout

              >     Radio, anyone
              >
              >     >     could

              >     >     run such an event in
              their area.

              >     >

              >     >     It dawned on me that
              perhaps this could become a national

              >     event for

              >     >     the first Saturday
              after New Years in January next year.

              >     It's a good

              >     >     weekend for an indoor
              event in the typical Scout Troops

              >     calendar and

              >     >     complements their
              exisitng Kid's Day on Sunday.

              >     >

              >     >     Comments appreciated
              here before I submit it to ARRL for

              >     >     consideration.

              >     >

              >     >     73

              >     >

              >     >     Gary, K2GW

              >     >
              w:st="on">Radio MB Counselor

              2

              Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 15:56:51 -0700

              From: "John Brewer" <n7mfq@...>

              >     >     Subject: Re: Boy
              Scout Merit Badge Day

              >     >

              >     >     In this area, we try
              to do the same thing for JOTA,

              Message -----

              Wilson" <k2gw@...>

              >     >     To: <
              w:st="on">ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com >

              >     >     Sent: Wednesday,
              January 11, 2006 2:32 PM

              >     >     Subject: [ScoutRadio]
              Boy Scout Merit Badge Day

              >     >

              >     >

              >     >     We just completed our
              second annual Boy Scout Merit

              >     Badge Day at
              >
              >     >     Sarnoff Library in
              w:st="on"> Princeton NJ .  With only a single

              >     e-mail
              >
              >     >     announcement, we had
              29 Scouts earn Radio Merit Badge

              >     in one
              >
              >     day with

              >     >     4 leaders and 19 hams
              assisting.  Many of those Scouts

              >     will
              >
              >     noew be

              >     >     starting a Tech
              course next week.

              >     >

              >     >     Last year with lots
              of publicity we had 63 Scouts.  Next

              >     year we'll

              >     >     aim for the middle by
              doing two e-mails.

              >     >

              >     >     With all of the
              PowerPoint materials here in Scout Radio,

              >     anyone could

              >     >     run such an event in
              their area.

              >     >

              >     >     It dawned on me that
              perhaps this could become a national

              >     event for

              >     >     the first Saturday after
              New Years in January next year.

              >     It's a good

              >     >     weekend for an indoor
              event in the typical Scout Troops

              >     calendar and

              >     >     complements their
              exisitng Kid's Day on Sunday.

              >     >

              >     >     Comments appreciated
              here before I submit it to ARRL for

              >     >     consideration.

              >     >

              >     >     73

              >     >

              >     >     Gary, K2GW

              >     >
              w:st="on">Radio MB Counselor

              3

              Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 21:04:17 -0600

              From: "Frank Krizan" <frank.krizan@...>

              >     >     Subject: Re: Boy
              Scout Merit Badge Day

              >     >

              >     >
              w:st="on">Gary , et al,

              >     >
              >

              >     >     I can appreciate your
              enthusiasm for this project,

              >     especially with the

              >     >     success you've
              enjoyed.  As another poster mentioned, many

              >     >     organizations

              >     >     conduct Radio Merit
              Badge classes in conjunction with

              >     JOTA.  In
              >
              >     >
              w:st="on">Texas , we

              >     >     have a number of
              scout camps that conduct Winter Camp

              >     between
              >
              >     >     Christmas and

              >     >     New Year, and several
              teach Radio MB .  We're

              >     conducting Radio
              >
              >     >     Badge classes

              >     >     at some summer camps
              and at HamCom in June.  During

              >     March, the
              >
              >     >
              w:st="on">Dallas area

              >     >     has a number of
              "Merit Badge Colleges/Universities" in

              >     which the
              >
              >     >     Radio Merit

              >     >     Badge is also
              taught.  During the summer months, our

              >     Council
              >
              >     >     conducts what

              >     >     used to be called
              Merit Badge Camp -- now called Merit

              >     Badge
              >
              >     U --

              >     >     in which

              >     >     the Radio MB is
              taught.

              >     >

              >     >     I think different
              areas of the US have different

              >     opportunities,
              >
              >     >     needs and

              >     >     school
              schedules.  For example, many of our scouts may not

              >     be back

              >     >     from

              >     >     winter camp,
              Christmas vacations, etc. for the first

              >     Saturday.
              >
              >     >     January is a

              >     >     difficult month to
              forecast the weather in various

              >     parts of the
              >
              >     >     country,

              >     >     especially for travel
              to and from the MB class.

              >     >

              >     >     Kid's Day is a great
              day for families to get their younger

              >     kids on

              >     >     the air

              >     >     to talk with some
              other younger kids.  I would rather that

              >     we not mix

              >     >     scouting activities
              with an easy going program to get kids

              >     on the

              >     >     air.

              >     >

              >     >     My suggestion is to
              leave the date of a Radio MB

              (Message over 64 KB, truncated)
            • Allan R. Batteiger
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 25 5:39 PM
                Gordon
                I have not forgotten, Tony and I are redoing the slides a bit. I
                should have then ready for upload shortly, since I have a class to teach
                starting next weekend!
                I am also going to put the files on a www site so they are generally
                available.

                Allan R. Batteiger
                WB5QNG

                J.Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT wrote:

                > Alan,
                >
                > Have you gotten time to upload either the long or short form of this
                > PPT yet?
                >
                > I would like both if possible.
                >
                > 73!
                >
                > YIS,
                >
                > Gordon Beattie, W2TTT
                >
                > 201.314.6964

              • Allan R. Batteiger
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
                  Gordon
                  I have uploaded my latest version of the files to
                  ftp://scouts:$cout$@69.201.182.47/chris/jp_arrl/ . They are in
                  openoffice format. I do not have a current copy of MS Office to test
                  the MS PPT export function. www.openoffice.org is free. Let me know
                  if you have any problems.