Re: [ScoutRadio] Digest Number 669

  • Allan R. Batteiger
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 13, 2006
      Frank
      Just to add to the discussion, for the last couple of years I have
      taught Radio MB just before JOTA or in conjunction with JOTA ( RB in the
      morning, then take the scouts out and get them on the air) and one of
      the Councils Merit Universities. After this last year ( 2005 ) I had a
      number of scouts interested in Amateur Radio. Over the Christmas Break
      Tony (W5ADC) and I conducted a 2 day No Code Tech Class, we had 4
      scouts and 2 other youths take the classes. All but 2 of the scouts
      passed on the first try. We had a 70% pass rate of the class.
      Currently we are planning to schedule further classes around Ham-Com,
      Council Merit Badge Universities, and JOTA again this year. The
      intention is to make Radio MB widely available and provide a NCT class
      with VE Test session immediately available.

      Allan R. Batteiger
      WB5QNG

    • Frank Krizan
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 14, 2006
        Hi Allan,

        Fantastic.  I like the idea of a two day course.  It's difficult to keep youth interested over a multi-week course, plus school (and the 'fumes') distract them.  Something like a weekend course, maybe at a camp with A/C facilities, keeps them together, no TV, computers, 'fumes', and voila -- learning.  I think there needs to be followup for sometime after the course to fill in the blanks and answer questions prompted by the course.

        Did you limit the age of the scouts who could attend the course?  My experience has shown that using a high adventure age of 13-1/2 almost guarantees a very high pass rate.

        We need to hear of more successes such as yours on this group.

        73, Frank KR1ZAN
        Garland, TX

        Frank Krizan wrote:

        > Hi Bill, et al,

        > This is a good discussion.  I like your concept of events/activities
        > that culminate with JOTA.

        > I would offer an alternative/modification of your proposal by seeking
        > ARRL support for various summertime activities for scouting that
        > include the Radio Merit Badge, Technician (or other entry level)
        > licensing courses (perhaps at summer camp or a week or two week day
        > camp program), operating events/challenges/contests, inexpensive self
        > study courses for scouts via the internet (let's face it -- $99 can be
        > a big chunk of change for a scout in order to take the online ARRL
        > Tech course), kit building, radio operation on the trail (or at camp),
        > and our imaginations can dream up more.  This would be a list of
        > activities/events that are "pick and choose" for local councils,
        > clubs, individuals -- not specific dates.  On the other hand,
        > operating events might be scheduled for certain weekends -- or
        > scouting units might be encouraged to participate in certain operating
        > events/contests as an entity, not just part of a bigger club.  For
        > example, Venturing Crew 73 of Richardson, TX (K5BSA) has its own Field
        > Day.  Operators are encouraged to try different bands at different
        > times of the day to experience propagation differences and scores are
        > for personal improvement, not trying to beat another unit, etc.  It's
        > personal improvement ... personal challenges.   And ... of course ...
        > lots of other activities for non-operating times ... and FOOD.

        > I certainly like the idea of getting newly licensed scouts on the air
        > for JOTA.  JOTA could also become a reunion of sorts from year to year
        > for scouts who take part in summertime activities.

        > *** I'll ask again -- anyone know what the ARRL ad hoc committee on
        > scouting is doing?  Any postings of their current thinking?  Any
        > readers contributing to their deliberation?

        > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
        > Garland, TX

      • Allan R. Batteiger
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 14, 2006
          Frank
          I did not place an age limit on the scouts. The announcement about
          the class was sent over the Boyscout GreatPlainsBSA email leader list.
          The class had 11 people in it, 4 were scouts, 6 were under 25, we had a
          good mix of scouts, ladies, Homeland Security, and FD attend the class.
          More classes are currently being scheduled. I have also had request for
          General and Extra classes. These are being looked into for possible
          scheduling in the future.

          Allan Batteiger
          WB5QNG

        • Frank Krizan
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 14, 2006
            Allan,

            Do you have a syllabus/outline that you could share with the Group?

            ... and again, great work.

            73, Frank KR1ZAN
            Garland, TX

            Frank Krizan wrote:

            > Hi Allan,
            >
            > Fantastic.  I like the idea of a two day course.  It's difficult to
            > keep youth interested over a multi-week course, plus school (and the
            > 'fumes') distract them.  Something like a weekend course, maybe at a
            > camp with A/C facilities, keeps them together, no TV, computers,
            > 'fumes', and voila -- learning.  I think there needs to be followup
            > for sometime after the course to fill in the blanks and answer
            > questions prompted by the course.

            > Did you limit the age of the scouts who could attend the course?  My
            > experience has shown that using a high adventure age of 13-1/2 almost
            > guarantees a very high pass rate.

            > We need to hear of more successes such as yours on this group.

            > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
            > Garland, TX

          • Allan R. Batteiger
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 14, 2006
              Frank
              Tony and I are cleaning up the PPT presentations a bit. We used
              several videos from the net, "the ARRL Walter Cronkite", Jay Leno "txt
              vs Morse", a Electrical safety video, Along with the NYT course
              outline. We mostly followed the NYT instructor guide along with some
              power points that we modified. I can upload all of this but it will
              take over 100mb. The PPT are about 14mb.

              Allan R. Batteiger
              WB5QNG

            • Gary Wilson
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 16, 2006
                Hey Guys!

                When responding to message in this group (especially a Digest!) please
                take time to cut the previous message in your reply down to something
                meaningful and relavent or delete it entirely.

                Some the previous replies in this thread had a half dozen previous
                messages attached! If folks want to go back, they can always go to
                the website and read the thrtead there.

                Thanks,

                Gary, K2GW
              • J.Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 18, 2006

                  Alan,

                  Have you gotten time to upload either the long or short form of this PPT yet?

                  I would like both if possible.

                  73!

                  YIS,

                  Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

                  201.314.6964

                  <mailto:arb@...>

                  w:st="on">Radio MB widely available and provide a NCT

> [...]

                  >     > personal improvement ... personal
                  challenges.   And ... of

                  >     course ...

                  >     > lots of other activities for non-operating
                  times ... and FOOD.

                  >     >

                  >     > I certainly like the idea of getting newly
                  licensed scouts on

                  >     the air

                  >     > for JOTA.  JOTA could also become a
                  reunion of sorts from year

                  >     >     to year
                  >
                  >     > for scouts who take part in summertime
                  activities.

                  >     >

                  >     > *** I'll ask again -- anyone know what the
                  ARRL ad hoc

                  >     committee on
                  >
                  >     > scouting is doing?  Any postings of
                  their current

                  >     thinking?  Any
                  >
                  >     > readers contributing to their deliberation?

                  TX

                  Message -----

                  <mailto:n2cop@...>

                  w:st="on">ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com

                  >     <mailto: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com >

                  >     >     *Sent:* Thursday,
                  January 12, 2006 11:34 AM

                  >     >     *Subject:* RE:
                  [ScoutRadio] Digest Number 669

                  >     >

                  >     >     Dear Gary et al,

                  >     >

                  >     >     I agree to a degree
                  with Frank that January may not be the

                  >     optimal

                  >     >     time for

                  >     >     a National Radio
                  Merit Badge Day, and that local

                  >     councils should
                  >
                  >     >     have some

                  >     >     scheduling
                  flexibility.  That said, I think earning

                  >     the badge
                  >
                  >     >     needs to be

                  >     >     elevated across all
                  councils; specifically, councils

                  >     should
                  >
                  >     >     encourage Radio

                  >     >     Merit Badge classes
                  be held concurrently with JOTA

                  >     activities.
                  >
                  >     >

                  >     >     In addition, I'd like
                  to see a 4 event calendar that could

                  >     >     culminate with

                  >     >     JOTA weekend.
                  These events would be: 1) Radio Merit Badge

                  >     classes

                  >     >     coinciding with Kids
                  Day in early June, 2) Scouts are

                  >     invited to
                  >
                  >     >     Field Day

                  >     >     sites in late June
                  for designated "Scout Hours", 3)

                  >     scouts go on
                  >
                  >     >     to earn

                  >     >     their Tech license
                  (or perhaps General in the possible

                  >     code-free
                  >
                  >     >     HF license

                  >     >     future) in
                  July/August during summer break, 4) newly

                  >     licensed
                  >
                  >     >     Scouts take

                  >     >     the helm during JOTA
                  in October.  In other words, BSA and

                  >     ARRL would

                  >     >     dedicate June 1 to
                  Third Week in October as a "Radio

                  >     Active"
                  >
                  >     time.

                  >     >

                  >     >
                  w:st="on">Gary 's suggestions are part of what ARRL's Ad Hoc

                  Message-----

                  >     >     From:
                  w:st="on">ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com

                  >     [mailto: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com ]

                  >     >     Sent: Thursday,
                  January 12, 2006 11:24 AM

                  >     >     To:
                  w:st="on">ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com

                  >     >     Subject: [ScoutRadio]
                  Digest Number 669

                  >     >

                  >     >     There are 3 messages
                  in this issue.

                  >     >

                  >     >     Topics in this
                  digest:

                  >     >

                  >     >           1. Boy Scout
                  Merit Badge Day

                  From: "Gary Wilson" <k2gw@...>

                  >     >           2. Re: Boy
                  Scout Merit Badge Day

                  From: "John Brewer" <n7mfq@...>

                  >     >           3. Re: Boy
                  Scout Merit Badge Day

                  From: "Frank Krizan" <frank.krizan@...>

                  Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 21:32:37 -0000

                  From: "Gary Wilson" <k2gw@...>

                  >     >     Subject: Boy Scout
                  Merit Badge Day

                  >     >

                  >     >     We just completed our
                  second annual Boy Scout Merit

                  >     Badge Day at
                  >
                  >     >     Sarnoff Library in
                  w:st="on"> Princeton NJ .  With only a single

                  >     e-mail
                  >
                  >     >     announcement, we had
                  29 Scouts earn Radio Merit Badge

                  >     in one
                  >
                  >     day with

                  >     >     4 leaders and 19 hams
                  assisting.  Many of those Scouts

                  >     will
                  >
                  >     noew be

                  >     >     starting a Tech
                  course next week.

                  >     >

                  >     >     Last year with lots
                  of publicity we had 63 Scouts.  Next

                  >     year we'll

                  >     >
                  >     aim for the middle by doing two e-mails.

                  >     >

                  >     >     With all of the
                  PowerPoint materials here in Scout

                  >     Radio, anyone
                  >
                  >     >     could

                  >     >     run such an event in
                  their area.

                  >     >

                  >     >     It dawned on me that
                  perhaps this could become a national

                  >     event for

                  >     >     the first Saturday
                  after New Years in January next year.

                  >     It's a good

                  >     >     weekend for an indoor
                  event in the typical Scout Troops

                  >     calendar and

                  >     >     complements their
                  exisitng Kid's Day on Sunday.

                  >     >

                  >     >     Comments appreciated
                  here before I submit it to ARRL for

                  >     >     consideration.

                  >     >

                  >     >     73

                  >     >

                  >     >     Gary, K2GW

                  >     >
                  w:st="on">Radio MB Counselor

                  2

                  Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 15:56:51 -0700

                  From: "John Brewer" <n7mfq@...>

                  >     >     Subject: Re: Boy
                  Scout Merit Badge Day

                  >     >

                  >     >     In this area, we try
                  to do the same thing for JOTA,

                  Message -----

                  Wilson" <k2gw@...>

                  >     >     To: <
                  w:st="on">ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com >

                  >     >     Sent: Wednesday,
                  January 11, 2006 2:32 PM

                  >     >     Subject: [ScoutRadio]
                  Boy Scout Merit Badge Day

                  >     >

                  >     >

                  >     >     We just completed our
                  second annual Boy Scout Merit

                  >     Badge Day at
                  >
                  >     >     Sarnoff Library in
                  w:st="on"> Princeton NJ .  With only a single

                  >     e-mail
                  >
                  >     >     announcement, we had
                  29 Scouts earn Radio Merit Badge

                  >     in one
                  >
                  >     day with

                  >     >     4 leaders and 19 hams
                  assisting.  Many of those Scouts

                  >     will
                  >
                  >     noew be

                  >     >     starting a Tech
                  course next week.

                  >     >

                  >     >     Last year with lots
                  of publicity we had 63 Scouts.  Next

                  >     year we'll

                  >     >     aim for the middle by
                  doing two e-mails.

                  >     >

                  >     >     With all of the
                  PowerPoint materials here in Scout Radio,

                  >     anyone could

                  >     >     run such an event in
                  their area.

                  >     >

                  >     >     It dawned on me that
                  perhaps this could become a national

                  >     event for

                  >     >     the first Saturday after
                  New Years in January next year.

                  >     It's a good

                  >     >     weekend for an indoor
                  event in the typical Scout Troops

                  >     calendar and

                  >     >     complements their
                  exisitng Kid's Day on Sunday.

                  >     >

                  >     >     Comments appreciated
                  here before I submit it to ARRL for

                  >     >     consideration.

                  >     >

                  >     >     73

                  >     >

                  >     >     Gary, K2GW

                  >     >
                  w:st="on">Radio MB Counselor

                  3

                  Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 21:04:17 -0600

                  From: "Frank Krizan" <frank.krizan@...>

                  >     >     Subject: Re: Boy
                  Scout Merit Badge Day

                  >     >

                  >     >
                  w:st="on">Gary , et al,

                  >     >
                  >

                  >     >     I can appreciate your
                  enthusiasm for this project,

                  >     especially with the

                  >     >     success you've
                  enjoyed.  As another poster mentioned, many

                  >     >     organizations

                  >     >     conduct Radio Merit
                  Badge classes in conjunction with

                  >     JOTA.  In
                  >
                  >     >
                  w:st="on">Texas , we

                  >     >     have a number of
                  scout camps that conduct Winter Camp

                  >     between
                  >
                  >     >     Christmas and

                  >     >     New Year, and several
                  teach Radio MB .  We're

                  >     conducting Radio
                  >
                  >     >     Badge classes

                  >     >     at some summer camps
                  and at HamCom in June.  During

                  >     March, the
                  >
                  >     >
                  w:st="on">Dallas area

                  >     >     has a number of
                  "Merit Badge Colleges/Universities" in

                  >     which the
                  >
                  >     >     Radio Merit

                  >     >     Badge is also
                  taught.  During the summer months, our

                  >     Council
                  >
                  >     >     conducts what

                  >     >     used to be called
                  Merit Badge Camp -- now called Merit

                  >     Badge
                  >
                  >     U --

                  >     >     in which

                  >     >     the Radio MB is
                  taught.

                  >     >

                  >     >     I think different
                  areas of the US have different

                  >     opportunities,
                  >
                  >     >     needs and

                  >     >     school
                  schedules.  For example, many of our scouts may not

                  >     be back

                  >     >     from

                  >     >     winter camp,
                  Christmas vacations, etc. for the first

                  >     Saturday.
                  >
                  >     >     January is a

                  >     >     difficult month to
                  forecast the weather in various

                  >     parts of the
                  >
                  >     >     country,

                  >     >     especially for travel
                  to and from the MB class.

                  >     >

                  >     >     Kid's Day is a great
                  day for families to get their younger

                  >     kids on

                  >     >     the air

                  >     >     to talk with some
                  other younger kids.  I would rather that

                  >     we not mix

                  >     >     scouting activities
                  with an easy going program to get kids

                  >     on the

                  >     >     air.

                  >     >

                  >     >     My suggestion is to
                  leave the date of a Radio MB

                  (Message over 64 KB, truncated)
                • Allan R. Batteiger
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 25, 2006
                    Gordon
                    I have not forgotten, Tony and I are redoing the slides a bit. I
                    should have then ready for upload shortly, since I have a class to teach
                    starting next weekend!
                    I am also going to put the files on a www site so they are generally
                    available.

                    Allan R. Batteiger
                    WB5QNG

                    J.Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT wrote:

                    > Alan,
                    >
                    > Have you gotten time to upload either the long or short form of this
                    > PPT yet?
                    >
                    > I would like both if possible.
                    >
                    > 73!
                    >
                    > YIS,
                    >
                    > Gordon Beattie, W2TTT
                    >
                    > 201.314.6964

                  • Allan R. Batteiger
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
                      Gordon
                      I have uploaded my latest version of the files to
                      ftp://scouts:$cout$@69.201.182.47/chris/jp_arrl/ . They are in
                      openoffice format. I do not have a current copy of MS Office to test
                      the MS PPT export function. www.openoffice.org is free. Let me know
                      if you have any problems.