Re: [ScoutRadio] Good Amateur Radio and Scouting Summary Resource for your boys and their parents

  • Bill Stewart
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 10, 2006
      Could we put this into the file repository in the Yahoo Group??? It might be easier to grab and doctor that way.

      Bill Stewart, W2BSA

      J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT wrote:

      Hi Folks!

      I have a two page file which has good information on why you and your boys in your Troop or Webelos Den would want to have some Amateur Radio activities!  If anyone wants it in MS-Word format, email me.

      The text is pasted below my signature.  Please feel free to change and customize it to meet your needs.

      J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT

      Why Amateur Radio For Your Den/Pack or Troop Program?

      Ask yourself if there was a program outline that could enhance:

      ·        First Class Skills

      ·        Service to Others

      ·        Troop Logistics

      ·        Troop Esprit de Corps, and

      ·        Merit Badges…NO... LOTS OF MERIT BADGES,

      and provide different learning experiences using

      ·        Auditory

      ·        Visual

      ·        Written, and

      ·        Hands-on skills using

      exciting activities for Troop and Patrol Meetings or Outings,

      wouldn’t you want to do it?

      Well, Amateur Radio has these features and you can do this in your Troop.

      Specific benefits:

      • First Class Skills need to be sharp to assemble antennas and supports using your knots, be ready with an expansion of your “Ten Essentials” in case your help is needed on short notice, gain an appreciation for National and Local government and how they function.

      • Using radio equipment you can provide communications to others at Charity Bike Tours and Walk-a-thons, and in service to those in need such as the Red Cross.

      • Use radio equipment to improve the coordination of Troop and Patrol Activities

      • Use the radio licensing process as a goal for each Scout to further bind them to the group through on-the-air casual communications

      • The training course and subsequent use of the equipment also enhances elements of the following Merit Badges:  Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Climbing and Rappelling, Computers , Energy, First Aid, Electricity, Electronics, Emergency Preparedness, Orienteering, Pioneering, Plumbing, Radio, Space Exploration, Surveying, Weather, (alas the now retired Signaling MB, too!)

      • YES! THAT’S 17 + 1 ! ! ! !

      Why Amateur Radio For Your Den/Pack or Troop Program?

      Cub Scout Requirements for Electricity & Radio Electives and Webelos Communicator

      ·        Check the requirements and you’ll probably be able to finish most of them

      ·        Award an elective point for each element of the activity

      ·        Use Morse Code as a “Secret Code” for Webelos

      How do you get on the air?

      ·        Contact a local Amateur Radio club and ask for a demonstration or a visit

      ·        Attend “Jamboree-on-the-Air” in October, “Field Day” in June or

      ·        Other Amateur Radio Public Service events like charity Bike Tours, walk-a-thons, etc.

      ·        Depending on interests, you might buy a VHF/UHF radio or an HF/VHF/UHF radio

      ·        Build your antennas – kids love to play with stuff they made

      ·        Build some of your training tools – Even if they aren’t interested in Morse Code, kids love to tinker & play games with practice buzzers/oscillators that can be built for < $10.

      How do you get it done?

      ·        Contact a local Amateur Radio Club and ask for their help with a course

      ·        Have someone who knows something about the subject…

      o       OJT is OK…just stay 1 chapter ahead! J

      ·        Get computer/video course materials –-> Gordon West Radio School is pretty good

      ·        Go to a class at a Community School , Amateur Radio Event or a Gordon West School

      A compilation of Training Resources

      Contact Gordon Beattie at 201.314.6964 or email to w2ttt@...

      American Radio Relay League (Amateur Radio’s National Organization

      Publication: “Now Your Talking”

      www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/youth/                             www.arrl.org

      Callsign Lookups and other Licensing Information

      Fair Lawn Amateur Radio Club

      Bergen Amateur Radio Association

      10/70 Repeater Association