Competing With Cellphones, The 'Net Re: [ScoutRadio] Looking for Scout Radio Activities in [west] Boston Area

  • Fred Stevens K2FRD
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 6, 2006
      Gary, have you ever taken them camping or other Scout trips where there is no cellphone coverage? In western MA with all the hills, there oughtta be lots of places.

      Out here in the western states (I'm in AZ), there are huge gaps in cellphone coverage, probably more areas NOT covered by cellphones (especially off the interstates) than are covered. This is where ham radio shines since there is almost always 2m repeater coverage in the cellphone-dead areas. Then, ratcheting up a notch, there's HF...

      Ham radio trying to compete with cellphones and the internet is tough if either of the latter is available, so I usually don't try to demonstrate radio for Scouts under those conditions. However, ham radio is at its best in adverse situations; I get a vicarious thrill demonstrating ham radio at JOTA or other camporees out in the boonies if a little smartmouth walks up and says, "I can do all that on the internet [or cellphone]." and I can respond, "Please do. Where do you have your computer plugged in, your tent or picnic table?" or (knowing there's no cellphone service) "Call your Mom. She'd love to hear from you. Oh, your cellphone says "no service"? OK, we'll send her a radiogram.". The kids eyebrows usually go up at this point. I then set the hook when I demonstrate Winlink to send an email via HF.

      These days, we have to be salesmen with lotsa gimmicks to get through to cellphone- and internet-savvy Scouts.

      73 de Fred K2FRD

      --
      73 de Fred K2FRD, VO2FS
      http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/K2FRD.html
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 7, 2006
        Yes, there are pockets with no cell coverage, and certainly larger tracts
        further north. These are great opportunities to demonstrate radiograms,
        as you say, and sometimes the kids "get it". But more often, as you say,
        "I get a vicarious thrill demonstrating ham radio..." -- its you and I
        that are
        thrilled, more so than the boys.

        But scouts are certainly into emergency preparedness, and ham radio clearly
        has a role there. That's a real opportunity to show where ham radio shines,
        and exploiting a hole in the cell network is a great opportunity for that.

        I guess that when I was a lad, there was no expectation of communication
        from "the woods" except by ham radio. Now, even though there are gaps,
        kids grow up with an expectation of being able to communicate from
        anywhere. I think its great how you have leveraged those cell gaps to
        show how radio can shine.

        -- Gary KD1TE

        Fred Stevens K2FRD wrote:

        >Gary, have you ever taken them camping or other Scout trips where there is no cellphone coverage? In western MA with all the hills, there oughtta be lots of places.
        >
        >Out here in the western states (I'm in AZ), there are huge gaps in cellphone coverage, probably more areas NOT covered by cellphones (especially off the interstates) than are covered. This is where ham radio shines since there is almost always 2m repeater coverage in the cellphone-dead areas. Then, ratcheting up a notch, there's HF...
        >
        >Ham radio trying to compete with cellphones and the internet is tough if either of the latter is available, so I usually don't try to demonstrate radio for Scouts under those conditions. However, ham radio is at its best in adverse situations; I get a vicarious thrill demonstrating ham radio at JOTA or other camporees out in the boonies if a little smartmouth walks up and says, "I can do all that on the internet [or cellphone]." and I can respond, "Please do. Where do you have your computer plugged in, your tent or picnic table?" or (knowing there's no cellphone service) "Call your Mom. She'd love to hear from you. Oh, your cellphone says "no service"? OK, we'll send her a radiogram.". The kids eyebrows usually go up at this point. I then set the hook when I demonstrate Winlink to send an email via HF.
        >
        >These days, we have to be salesmen with lotsa gimmicks to get through to cellphone- and internet-savvy Scouts.
        >
        >73 de Fred K2FRD
        >
        >At 18:15 -0500 06/01/2006, Gary W Thorburn wrote:
        >

        >>When I've brought my HT on scout trips, it gets yawns. The boys
        >>just see a crippled cell phone. But when I got back to the very
        >>basics of what signalling and communication really is, and built
        >>it up from there, a bit of interest was sparked.

      • J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 9, 2006

          Hi Folks!

          I have a two page file which has good information on why you and your boys in your Troop or Webelos Den would want to have some Amateur Radio activities!  If anyone wants it in MS-Word format, email me.

          The text is pasted below my signature.  Please feel free to change and customize it to meet your needs.

          73,
          J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
          201.314.6964
          w2ttt@...
          w2ttt@...
          w2ttt@...

          Why Amateur Radio For Your Den/Pack or Troop Program?

          Ask yourself if there was a program outline that could enhance:

          ·        First Class Skills

          ·        Service to Others

          ·        Troop Logistics

          ·        Troop Esprit de Corps, and

          ·        Merit Badges…NO... LOTS OF MERIT BADGES,

          and provide different learning experiences using

          ·        Auditory

          ·        Visual

          ·        Written, and

          ·        Hands-on skills using

          exciting activities for Troop and Patrol Meetings or Outings,

          wouldn’t you want to do it?

          Well, Amateur Radio has these features and you can do this in your Troop.

          Specific benefits:

          • First Class Skills need to be sharp to assemble antennas and supports using your knots, be ready with an expansion of your “Ten Essentials” in case your help is needed on short notice, gain an appreciation for National and Local government and how they function.

          • Using radio equipment you can provide communications to others at Charity Bike Tours and Walk-a-thons, and in service to those in need such as the Red Cross.

          • Use radio equipment to improve the coordination of Troop and Patrol Activities

          • Use the radio licensing process as a goal for each Scout to further bind them to the group through on-the-air casual communications

          • The training course and subsequent use of the equipment also enhances elements of the following Merit Badges:  Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Climbing and Rappelling, Computers , Energy, First Aid, Electricity, Electronics, Emergency Preparedness, Orienteering, Pioneering, Plumbing, Radio, Space Exploration, Surveying, Weather, (alas the now retired Signaling MB, too!)

          • YES! THAT’S 17 + 1 ! ! ! !

          Why Amateur Radio For Your Den/Pack or Troop Program?

          Cub Scout Requirements for Electricity & Radio Electives and Webelos Communicator

          ·        Check the requirements and you’ll probably be able to finish most of them

          ·        Award an elective point for each element of the activity

          ·        Use Morse Code as a “Secret Code” for Webelos

          How do you get on the air?

          ·        Contact a local Amateur Radio club and ask for a demonstration or a visit

          ·        Attend “Jamboree-on-the-Air” in October, “Field Day” in June or

          ·        Other Amateur Radio Public Service events like charity Bike Tours, walk-a-thons, etc.

          ·        Depending on interests, you might buy a VHF/UHF radio or an HF/VHF/UHF radio

          ·        Build your antennas – kids love to play with stuff they made

          ·        Build some of your training tools – Even if they aren’t interested in Morse Code, kids love to tinker & play games with practice buzzers/oscillators that can be built for < $10.

          How do you get it done?

          ·        Contact a local Amateur Radio Club and ask for their help with a course

          ·        Have someone who knows something about the subject…

          o       OJT is OK…just stay 1 chapter ahead! J

          ·        Get computer/video course materials –-> Gordon West Radio School is pretty good

          ·        Go to a class at a Community School , Amateur Radio Event or a Gordon West School

          Resources

          TROOP139 TECHINFO CD

          A compilation of Training Resources

          Contact Gordon Beattie at 201.314.6964 or email to w2ttt@...

          American Radio Relay League (Amateur Radio’s National Organization

          Publication: “Now Your Talking”

          860.594.0200

          www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/youth/                             www.arrl.org

          Callsign Lookups and other Licensing Information

          www.qrz.com

          Fair Lawn Amateur Radio Club

          www.flarc.org

          Bergen Amateur Radio Association

          www.bara.org

          10/70 Repeater Association

          www.1070.org

          Fred Stevens K2FRD wrote:

          > Gary , have you ever taken them camping or other Scout trips where there is no cellphone coverage? In western MA with all the hills, there oughtta be lots of places.
          >
          >Out here in the western states (I'm in AZ), there are huge gaps in cellphone coverage, probably more areas NOT covered by cellphones (especially off the interstates) than are covered. This is where ham radio shines since there is almost always 2m repeater coverage in the cellphone-dead areas. Then, ratcheting up a notch, there's HF...
          >
          >Ham radio trying to compete with cellphones and the internet is tough if either of the latter is available, so I usually don't try to demonstrate radio for Scouts under those conditions. However, ham radio is at its best in adverse situations; I get a vicarious thrill demonstrating ham radio at JOTA or other camporees out in the boonies if a little smartmouth walks up and says, "I can do all that on the internet [or cellphone]." and I can respond, "Please do. Where do you have your computer plugged in, your tent or picnic table?" or (knowing there's no cellphone service) "Call your Mom. She'd love to hear from you. Oh, your cellphone says "no service"? OK, we'll send her a radiogram.". The kids eyebrows usually go up at this point. I then set the hook when I demonstrate Winlink to send an email via HF.
          >
          >These days, we have to be salesmen with lotsa gimmicks to get through to cellphone- and internet-savvy Scouts.
          >
          >73 de Fred K2FRD
          >
          >At 18:15 -0500 06/01/2006, Gary W Thorburn wrote:

          >>When I've brought my HT on scout trips, it gets yawns.  The boys
          >>just see a crippled cell phone.   But when I got back to the very
          >>basics of what signalling and communication really is,  and built
          >>it up from there, a bit of interest was sparked.

        • Bill Stewart