Looking for Scout Radio Activities in [west] Boston Area

  • kd5fdw
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2006
      Hi...I'm looking for a group in the Boston area who I can help (or can
      help me) with HAM radio activities. I am a pack master and I really
      need someone else to work with for putting on a really good
      demonstration for the boy, girl and cub scouts at Hanscom Air Force
      Base.

      I'd like to set up a temporary station in their Scout House and run it
      for a weekend. We'd likely have scouts who spend the night and could
      operate most of the night. We'd also have cubs who could be scheduled
      in for parts of the day, too.

      Anyone already have anything they already have set up that I could
      help out with? Maybe that I could bring a few scouts to participate?
      Or maybe someone wants to take the lead on setting up here.

      YIS & 73
      nd4su
      Dave
    • Gary W Thorburn
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 6, 2006
        Dave --

        I am a rather inactive ham, and my interests have shifted to
        MW and SW DXing, so I'm probably not the one to organize a
        "really good demonstration". But there are two active radio clubs
        in the area which would have members who might be interested
        in this: the MMRA (MinuteMan Repeater Association) and the
        Harvard Repeater club (Harvard, MA). They have members into
        HF as well.

        Let me know if you have already made contact with anyone in
        those clubs. If not, I'd be glad to forward on your email, and
        put you in touch.

        I did a Morse Code station at a Camporee a few years back which
        was lots of fun. The idea was to show how simple a system morse
        code is, and how it can be done via various media... I had some
        WW2 Aldus lamps, some old landline telegraph equipment, a
        Boy Scout Telegraph from the '50's, and of course, ham radio!

        When I've brought my HT on scout trips, it gets yawns. The boys
        just see a crippled cell phone. But when I got back to the very
        basics of what signalling and communication really is, and built
        it up from there, a bit of interest was sparked.

        Gary Thorburn KD1TE
        kd1te@...
        Maynard, MA.

        kd5fdw wrote:

        >Hi...I'm looking for a group in the Boston area who I can help (or can
        >help me) with HAM radio activities. I am a pack master and I really
        >need someone else to work with for putting on a really good
        >demonstration for the boy, girl and cub scouts at Hanscom Air Force
        >Base.
        >
        >I'd like to set up a temporary station in their Scout House and run it
        >for a weekend. We'd likely have scouts who spend the night and could
        >operate most of the night. We'd also have cubs who could be scheduled
        >in for parts of the day, too.
        >
        >Anyone already have anything they already have set up that I could
        >help out with? Maybe that I could bring a few scouts to participate?
        >Or maybe someone wants to take the lead on setting up here.
        >
        >YIS & 73
        >nd4su
        >Dave

        >Visit "Operation On Target BSA" Mountain Top Signaling:
        >http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

        >Visit the Adventure Radio Society: http://www.natworld.com/ars/
        >
        >ScoutRadio start page:
        >
        >Post message: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Fred Stevens K2FRD
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 6, 2006
          Gary, have you ever taken them camping or other Scout trips where there is no cellphone coverage? In western MA with all the hills, there oughtta be lots of places.

          Out here in the western states (I'm in AZ), there are huge gaps in cellphone coverage, probably more areas NOT covered by cellphones (especially off the interstates) than are covered. This is where ham radio shines since there is almost always 2m repeater coverage in the cellphone-dead areas. Then, ratcheting up a notch, there's HF...

          Ham radio trying to compete with cellphones and the internet is tough if either of the latter is available, so I usually don't try to demonstrate radio for Scouts under those conditions. However, ham radio is at its best in adverse situations; I get a vicarious thrill demonstrating ham radio at JOTA or other camporees out in the boonies if a little smartmouth walks up and says, "I can do all that on the internet [or cellphone]." and I can respond, "Please do. Where do you have your computer plugged in, your tent or picnic table?" or (knowing there's no cellphone service) "Call your Mom. She'd love to hear from you. Oh, your cellphone says "no service"? OK, we'll send her a radiogram.". The kids eyebrows usually go up at this point. I then set the hook when I demonstrate Winlink to send an email via HF.

          These days, we have to be salesmen with lotsa gimmicks to get through to cellphone- and internet-savvy Scouts.

          73 de Fred K2FRD

          --
          73 de Fred K2FRD, VO2FS
          http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/K2FRD.html
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 7, 2006
            Yes, there are pockets with no cell coverage, and certainly larger tracts
            further north. These are great opportunities to demonstrate radiograms,
            as you say, and sometimes the kids "get it". But more often, as you say,
            "I get a vicarious thrill demonstrating ham radio..." -- its you and I
            that are
            thrilled, more so than the boys.

            But scouts are certainly into emergency preparedness, and ham radio clearly
            has a role there. That's a real opportunity to show where ham radio shines,
            and exploiting a hole in the cell network is a great opportunity for that.

            I guess that when I was a lad, there was no expectation of communication
            from "the woods" except by ham radio. Now, even though there are gaps,
            kids grow up with an expectation of being able to communicate from
            anywhere. I think its great how you have leveraged those cell gaps to
            show how radio can shine.

            -- Gary KD1TE

            Fred Stevens K2FRD wrote:

            >Gary, have you ever taken them camping or other Scout trips where there is no cellphone coverage? In western MA with all the hills, there oughtta be lots of places.
            >
            >Out here in the western states (I'm in AZ), there are huge gaps in cellphone coverage, probably more areas NOT covered by cellphones (especially off the interstates) than are covered. This is where ham radio shines since there is almost always 2m repeater coverage in the cellphone-dead areas. Then, ratcheting up a notch, there's HF...
            >
            >Ham radio trying to compete with cellphones and the internet is tough if either of the latter is available, so I usually don't try to demonstrate radio for Scouts under those conditions. However, ham radio is at its best in adverse situations; I get a vicarious thrill demonstrating ham radio at JOTA or other camporees out in the boonies if a little smartmouth walks up and says, "I can do all that on the internet [or cellphone]." and I can respond, "Please do. Where do you have your computer plugged in, your tent or picnic table?" or (knowing there's no cellphone service) "Call your Mom. She'd love to hear from you. Oh, your cellphone says "no service"? OK, we'll send her a radiogram.". The kids eyebrows usually go up at this point. I then set the hook when I demonstrate Winlink to send an email via HF.
            >
            >These days, we have to be salesmen with lotsa gimmicks to get through to cellphone- and internet-savvy Scouts.
            >
            >73 de Fred K2FRD
            >
            >At 18:15 -0500 06/01/2006, Gary W Thorburn wrote:
            >

            >>When I've brought my HT on scout trips, it gets yawns. The boys
            >>just see a crippled cell phone. But when I got back to the very
            >>basics of what signalling and communication really is, and built
            >>it up from there, a bit of interest was sparked.

          • J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 9, 2006

              Hi Folks!

              I have a two page file which has good information on why you and your boys in your Troop or Webelos Den would want to have some Amateur Radio activities!  If anyone wants it in MS-Word format, email me.

              The text is pasted below my signature.  Please feel free to change and customize it to meet your needs.

              73,
              J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
              201.314.6964
              w2ttt@...
              w2ttt@...
              w2ttt@...

              Why Amateur Radio For Your Den/Pack or Troop Program?

              Ask yourself if there was a program outline that could enhance:

              ·        First Class Skills

              ·        Service to Others

              ·        Troop Logistics

              ·        Troop Esprit de Corps, and

              ·        Merit Badges…NO... LOTS OF MERIT BADGES,

              and provide different learning experiences using

              ·        Auditory

              ·        Visual

              ·        Written, and

              ·        Hands-on skills using

              exciting activities for Troop and Patrol Meetings or Outings,

              wouldn’t you want to do it?

              Well, Amateur Radio has these features and you can do this in your Troop.

              Specific benefits:

              • First Class Skills need to be sharp to assemble antennas and supports using your knots, be ready with an expansion of your “Ten Essentials” in case your help is needed on short notice, gain an appreciation for National and Local government and how they function.

              • Using radio equipment you can provide communications to others at Charity Bike Tours and Walk-a-thons, and in service to those in need such as the Red Cross.

              • Use radio equipment to improve the coordination of Troop and Patrol Activities

              • Use the radio licensing process as a goal for each Scout to further bind them to the group through on-the-air casual communications

              • The training course and subsequent use of the equipment also enhances elements of the following Merit Badges:  Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Climbing and Rappelling, Computers , Energy, First Aid, Electricity, Electronics, Emergency Preparedness, Orienteering, Pioneering, Plumbing, Radio, Space Exploration, Surveying, Weather, (alas the now retired Signaling MB, too!)

              • YES! THAT’S 17 + 1 ! ! ! !

              Why Amateur Radio For Your Den/Pack or Troop Program?

              Cub Scout Requirements for Electricity & Radio Electives and Webelos Communicator

              ·        Check the requirements and you’ll probably be able to finish most of them

              ·        Award an elective point for each element of the activity

              ·        Use Morse Code as a “Secret Code” for Webelos

              How do you get on the air?

              ·        Contact a local Amateur Radio club and ask for a demonstration or a visit

              ·        Attend “Jamboree-on-the-Air” in October, “Field Day” in June or

              ·        Other Amateur Radio Public Service events like charity Bike Tours, walk-a-thons, etc.

              ·        Depending on interests, you might buy a VHF/UHF radio or an HF/VHF/UHF radio

              ·        Build your antennas – kids love to play with stuff they made

              ·        Build some of your training tools – Even if they aren’t interested in Morse Code, kids love to tinker & play games with practice buzzers/oscillators that can be built for < $10.

              How do you get it done?

              ·        Contact a local Amateur Radio Club and ask for their help with a course

              ·        Have someone who knows something about the subject…

              o       OJT is OK…just stay 1 chapter ahead! J

              ·        Get computer/video course materials –-> Gordon West Radio School is pretty good

              ·        Go to a class at a Community School , Amateur Radio Event or a Gordon West School

              Resources

              TROOP139 TECHINFO CD

              A compilation of Training Resources

              Contact Gordon Beattie at 201.314.6964 or email to w2ttt@...

              American Radio Relay League (Amateur Radio’s National Organization

              Publication: “Now Your Talking”

              860.594.0200

              www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/youth/                             www.arrl.org

              Callsign Lookups and other Licensing Information

              www.qrz.com

              Fair Lawn Amateur Radio Club

              www.flarc.org

              Bergen Amateur Radio Association

              www.bara.org

              10/70 Repeater Association

              www.1070.org

              Fred Stevens K2FRD wrote:

              > Gary , have you ever taken them camping or other Scout trips where there is no cellphone coverage? In western MA with all the hills, there oughtta be lots of places.
              >
              >Out here in the western states (I'm in AZ), there are huge gaps in cellphone coverage, probably more areas NOT covered by cellphones (especially off the interstates) than are covered. This is where ham radio shines since there is almost always 2m repeater coverage in the cellphone-dead areas. Then, ratcheting up a notch, there's HF...
              >
              >Ham radio trying to compete with cellphones and the internet is tough if either of the latter is available, so I usually don't try to demonstrate radio for Scouts under those conditions. However, ham radio is at its best in adverse situations; I get a vicarious thrill demonstrating ham radio at JOTA or other camporees out in the boonies if a little smartmouth walks up and says, "I can do all that on the internet [or cellphone]." and I can respond, "Please do. Where do you have your computer plugged in, your tent or picnic table?" or (knowing there's no cellphone service) "Call your Mom. She'd love to hear from you. Oh, your cellphone says "no service"? OK, we'll send her a radiogram.". The kids eyebrows usually go up at this point. I then set the hook when I demonstrate Winlink to send an email via HF.
              >
              >These days, we have to be salesmen with lotsa gimmicks to get through to cellphone- and internet-savvy Scouts.
              >
              >73 de Fred K2FRD
              >
              >At 18:15 -0500 06/01/2006, Gary W Thorburn wrote:

              >>When I've brought my HT on scout trips, it gets yawns.  The boys
              >>just see a crippled cell phone.   But when I got back to the very
              >>basics of what signalling and communication really is,  and built
              >>it up from there, a bit of interest was sparked.

            • Bill Stewart