RE: [ScoutRadio] Setting up a troop to troop sched

  • J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2006

      Jamie,

      I am the Scoutmaster of Boy Scout Troop 139 chartered to St. John the Evangelist Roman Catholic Church in Bergenfield, New Jersey, which is about 15 km NW of “Ground Zero”.  Our Troop has four hams (so far), two Scouts and two adults.  Several others are working on their licenses.

      Many of our Scouts have the Radio, Electricity and Electronics Merit Badges.  We would be delighted to arrange for a QSO between the Troops.  HF operation would be fine, we’ll just need to select a frequency that is good for the time of day.

      We meet on Tuesdays, but we could arrange for a Wednesday, or possibly a Friday evening and include some of our Cub Scouts.  Also, we are preparing for our Klondike Derby on the 21st, so our Tuesday and Wednesday meetings before then are booked, but if you would like another time, we could probably do it sooner.

      73,
      J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
      201.314.6964
      w2ttt@...
      w2ttt@...
      w2ttt@...

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2006
        Hi! My name is Tom Hendricks, and I will be teaching a Radio Merit
        Badge session to Troop 828 here in Timonium, MD on the 21st. It will be
        an "all night" affair (it's called a "Lock-In" and the folks
        participating will be locked in the Church all night, working on various
        merit badges). (We'll set up a radio indoors, and hopefully have an
        outside antenna).

        Let me know if that might work for you, and we can try to contact you
        then, we'll be trying to get several scouts on the air that evening (and
        morning) as well.

        73,
        -Tom-

        ve3gxq wrote:

        >Hello everyone:
        >
        >My name is Scouter Jamie Holmes, Troop Scouter for the 6th Erin Mills
        >Troop. We have a group of 28 Scouts here in Mississauga, Ontario,
        >Canada. Mississauga is about 20 miles West of Toronto. I am looking to
        >set up a scheduled contact with another troop for the purpose of
        >meeting a badge requirement for our Scouts and maybe it can meet a
        >requirement for your guys also. I operate most modes including psk31,
        >however I figure that they may have the most fun using phone, I am
        >open to suggestions. If anyone may be interested please
        >contact me at jamie@.... Thank you for reading this 73
        >and good DX.
        >
        >Jamie/VE3GXQ

        >Visit "Operation On Target BSA" Mountain Top Signaling:
        >http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

        >Visit the Adventure Radio Society: http://www.natworld.com/ars/
        >
        >ScoutRadio start page:
        >
        >Post message: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2006

          To,

          If you would like a sked, then simply call me after 5:00 PM on the 21st and I’ll get on the air for your guys!

          I have a Klondike Derby that day, but I’ll be home and showered by 5:00 PM!

          73,
          J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
          201.314.6964
          w2ttt@...
          w2ttt@...
          w2ttt@...

          ve3gxq wrote:

          >Hello everyone:
          >
          >My name is Scouter Jamie Holmes, Troop Scouter for the 6th Erin Mills
          >Troop. We have a group of 28 Scouts here in Mississauga , Ontario ,
          > Canada . Mississauga is about 20 miles West of Toronto. I am looking to
          >set up a scheduled contact with another troop for the purpose of
          >meeting  a badge requirement for our Scouts and maybe it can meet a
          >requirement for your guys also. I operate most modes including psk31,
          >however I figure that they may have the most fun using phone, I am
          >open to suggestions. If anyone may be interested please
          >contact me at jamie@....  Thank you for reading this 73
          >and good DX.
          >
          >Jamie/VE3GXQ

          >Visit "Operation On Target BSA" Mountain Top Signaling:
          >http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

          >Visit the Adventure Radio Society: http://www.natworld.com/ars/
          >
          >ScoutRadio start page:
          >
          >Post message: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Jamie Holmes
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 12, 2006
            Message
            Gordon:

            Thanks for the quick response. I have an opportunity to use another station that could accomodate our guys on Monday January 23/1006. Would this work for you or any of your guys? Our badge requirment is to make contact with Scouts who are not in Canada, therefore only speaking with scouters doesn't count. If this doesn't work sometime in February would probably be good.

            73

            Jamie/VE3GXQ