Re: [ScoutRadio] New Member

  • Frank Krizan
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 2005
      Howdy Dan,

      Sounds like you're doing everything right.  Congratulations on getting some of the scouts to get their licenses ... and, of course, congratulations to them for taking the initiative.

      Radios are always a problem.  Several years ago, I was Scoutmaster and had several boys get their licenses.  When we did backpacking campouts, each Patrol would depart at different times and usually take different trails -- mainly according to their skills.  I was fortunate that every Patrol had at least one licensed scout in it.  A few of the boys didn't have radios, so some of us loaned an HT for the campout to the Patrol "radioman".  This gave the scout some experience and a feeling of pride.   We emphasized the "Wilderness Protocol" for communications see http://www.tcoe.trinity.k12.ca.us/~tcarc/tcproto.html  and  http://www.arrl.org/contests/rate-sheet/?issue=2005-07-13

      Our troop had various fund raisers during the year, mainly to raise money for Summer Camp fees or high adventure camps.  We allowed scouts to use the monies earned for camps, uniforms, dues, camping equipment and amateur radio equipment.  Several of them were able to earn enough money to buy an HT.  HTs also make a great Christmas gift (the parents may need the suggestion).

      Encourage the scouts to investigate various aspects of the hobby and to make reports to their Patrol, troop and others (i.e., satellites, antennas, safety, ISS, APRS, CW, digital, the ionosphere, etc).  This helps develop investigative, presentation and other communications skills and almost always can be used toward a rank or merit badge requirement.  Often, this type of investigation leads to broader interests on the part of new Hams.  Ask the licensed scouts to give a program/presentation on Ham Radio to the rest of the troop, another troop or a Cub Scout Den/Pack.  Your scouts might even consider setting up a Fox Hunt demo/challenge at an upcoming Camporee.

      Consider doing something special with the licensed and other interested scouts.  The North American QSO Party is a neat 12 hour contest (3rd Saturday of Jan and Aug).  For us in TX, it runs from Noon to midnight.  Participants can experience the bands opening and closing from 10 m to 160 m over the 12 hour span.  There's also some VHF/UHF contests that are a blast.  Our Venturing Crew has an amateur radio specialty and we enjoy the NAQPs and Field Day.  We also help with Guides on the Air in February and Jamboree on the Air in October.  You might consider establishing a Venturing Crew associated with your Troop which has an amateur radio specialty to allow the licensed scouts to "grow" into the Crew.

      Also, contact some area Ham Clubs to see if they would be interested in helping with your programs.  See http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/club/clubsearch.phtml  They might have equipment that could be loaned to scouts, sold at a bargain, donated, etc.   Plus, this way you're not the only person providing support.

      I'm sure you'll get some other excellent comments on this forum.  Lots of wonderful guys around here.

      73, Frank KR1ZAN
      Garland, TX
      Associate Advisor, Venturing Crew 73 - Richardson, TX  http://www.qsl.net/k5bsa

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 2005
        Dan,

        Just thought about something else ... get the parents involved.  If the parents are already Hams, it's usually a sure bet that they will help the Scout get an HT or other form of radio.

        If the parents aren't licensed, get them licensed too.  One good promotion is that Ham Radio doesn't have an "air time" cost.  It's a great way for parents and sons to stay in touch when the boy gets his DRIVERS LICENSE.   Or, to coordinate when the band bus gets close to school for pickup ... etc.   Or, in case of an emergency.  You get the drift.

        73,  Frank KR1ZAN

[...]

      • Fred Stevens K2FRD
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2005
          Dan, I'm not certain I fully agree with your basic premise, that the general public is not knowledgeable about ham radio, but my argument would be based more on degree and semantics than anything else. At the top of my debate agenda, I would state, with a LOT of qualifications, that in my experience and observation, most adults (US and Canada; I would not want to apply this statement to other nations) know what ham radio is, i.e., they know ham radio is amateur radio. However, here's where the degree of familiarization diverges. From this point, some non-hams might be intimately familiar with ham radio while, at the other end of the spectrum, others are only aware ham radio exists with no knowledge of what it is about. In the middle, I suspect most have some notion of what ham radio operators do, but do not know the details. There are even adults who have never heard of ham radio, but these are the same people who cannot name the president of the US, so may be discounted.

          I would absolutely agree with your statement that the best level to interest people in our hobby is at the youth level. I am my own best example: I was hooked at 14 at Scout Camp, first licensed at 15, just before I made Eagle. And I never looked back. My story is probably very similar to many others on this list. However, Dan, when I was in college (long ago in a faraway galaxy), I had almost no time for ham radio; my studies came first although I managed to be Scoutmaster of a local Troop for a couple years, albeit most time so spent was recruiting ASMs to take the pressure off me. I think you've gone above the call of duty with your attempts to recruit other college students, but they may be the least likely group to be recruited for any volunteer or hobby activity due to their time constraints.

          Education may be our greatest failing with both youth and adults. We are all volunteers with only a limited amount of time to devote to ham radio education. And, it requires a LOT of time for such education: writing news releases, arranging demonstrations at Scout meetings and at schools or other youth gatherings, Elmering (mentoring) youth toward license completion, and other education activities demands dedication of fairly large blocks of time. Such time is not normally casual contact, but rather must be committed in advance, something not everyone is willing or able to do because of job, health, or home requirements. Others are retired and may just be too worn out from life to make such time commitments or, in fact are seriously R-E-T-I-R-E-D and feel they have put in their time. Indeed, it does require a serious commitment of time, resources, money, and emotional energy to foster ham radio in Scouting and only a relative few of us are actually able to bring all these factors together to make such a commitment. I would argue, lastly, that those who are this list are already interested and committed; our task is now to get other hams to make a similar commitment.

          73 de Fred K2FRD, VO2FS
          http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/K2FRD.html
          Free Subscription To OCARG EAGLE, a monthly newsletter for ham radio Scouters
          http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/ocarg.htm for info.

          At 7:01 +0000 03/12/2005, Dan wrote:
          >Hey everyone,
          > Just thought I would introduce myself. My name is Dan, AB8VE.
          >I am currently a student at the Ohio State University, and the
          >President of the OSU Amateur Radio Club. I am also an Eagle Scout.
          >I have concerned lately as to the lack of knowledge of amateur radio
          >to the general public. I have tried on campus to get people
          >interested in the hobby, and had some luck but not a whole lot. I
          >have come to the conclusion that in order to get people interested
          >the best way is to hook them while they're young. Then I got to
          >thinking. I learned about ham radio for the first time through the
          >Boy Scouts. What a great place to go to get new members. Now, my
          >little brother is still in the Scouts, and have gone camping with
          >his troop several times. I always brings my radios along and all
          >the kids are really intersted in it and some have gotten their
          >license. But the kids don't have the money to get a radio a lot of
          >the times and quickly lose interest. So I found this group in hopes
          >that I could get some ideas on how to hook em while they're young
          >and keep em.
          >
          >73's
          >
          >Dan, AB8VE
        • J. Gordon Beattie, Jr.
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 4, 2005
            Fred,
            Your points about folks who can educate Scouts, or anyone else about Ham
            Radio are well taken. However, a bunch of local Hams trained our Boy Scout
            Troop 139 in Bergenfield, NJ for 3 out of four weeks for about three months.
            Each session was just over an hour and it yielded two new Scout/Hams, one
            Scouter/Ham with a few more being mentored by these new ones plus a few
            others. They should have their tickets in the next couple of months. Also,
            we ended up with 24 Scouts with the Electricity/Electronics/Radio MBs.
            Somewhere I have one page document describing why Troops should want to do
            what we did.
            Two final points:
            1. It does take a lot of time to do this.
            2. We have thirty-year old police officers who don't know what Amateur Radio
            is, let alone how it can be used. WE NEED TO KEEP UP THE PROMOS AND
            EDUCATE!

            73,
            Gordon Beattie, W2TTT
            201.314.6964
            w2ttt@...
            w2ttt@...

> [...]

            >I have concerned lately as to the lack of knowledge of amateur radio
            >to the general public. I have tried on campus to get people
            >interested in the hobby, and had some luck but not a whole lot. I
            >have come to the conclusion that in order to get people interested
            >the best way is to hook them while they're young. Then I got to
            >thinking. I learned about ham radio for the first time through the
            >Boy Scouts. What a great place to go to get new members. Now, my
            >little brother is still in the Scouts, and have gone camping with
            >his troop several times. I always brings my radios along and all
            >the kids are really intersted in it and some have gotten their
            >license. But the kids don't have the money to get a radio a lot of
            >the times and quickly lose interest. So I found this group in hopes
            >that I could get some ideas on how to hook em while they're young

            Visit the Adventure Radio Society: http://www.natworld.com/ars/

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            ________________________________
          • Gary Wilson
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 5, 2005
              Hi Dan:

              Thanks for getting involved in teaching Amateur Radio to Scouts.
              Two suggestions:

              1. Start by offering a Radio Merit Badge class, not a Tech
              licensing course. The secret to selling anything is to give folks
              what they want, not what you have to sell.

              As an Eagle Scout, you'll understand the appeal of offering a Merit
              Badge first. In the files section of this Yahoo Group, you'll find
              Powerpoint slides for running three one hour sessions (plus an on
              the air contact session ) for Radio MB. It easily makes for a
              monthly program theme for a troop. Do the three classes at troop
              meetings and then make that month's camp out a "mini-Field day" to
              get the Scouts on the air.

              2. Keep things simple and cool at first, not techy and detailed.
              As their interest increases, then move on to teaching a tech course
              with all of the details of rules, sub bands, etc. You can find free
              PowerPoint slides to teach a tech class in six nights at
              http://instructor.n5na.net/ .

              There's also a parallel Yahoo group called ham_instructor to help
              you with this.

              73

              Gary, K2GW
            • Fred Stevens K2FRD
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 7, 2005
                At 23:19 -0500 04/12/2005, J. Gordon Beattie, Jr. wrote:
                >Fred,
                >
                >Two final points:
                >1. It does take a lot of time to do this.
                >2. We have thirty-year old police officers who don't know what Amateur Radio
                >is, let alone how it can be used. WE NEED TO KEEP UP THE PROMOS AND
                >EDUCATE!

                Can't argue with that. You brought up a point of which needs to be addressed, but I can't say I've ever seen it mentioned in any written articles although we've discussed it some in New York State: education of police officers about ham radio. At the NY State Police Academy (for NYSP), the subject of ham radio is discussed, usually in context with VTL 397, NY's infamous scanner law in which amateur radio operators are purportedly exempt from its provisions except the law is so poorly written, it can be (and has been) misinterpreted such that hams have received citations for use of ham rigs on ham bands while in their vehicles. Further, many local police departments (city, county, other municipal) run their own academies or send their new officers to larger jurisdictions which offer academies. The degree to which ham radio is discussed varies widely, depending upon the instructors, course directors, and syllabuses, from adequate coverage including how we might coordinate with them to non-existent in which ham radio isn't discussed at all. Since during emergencies or simple personal contact with peace officers, knowledge of our interaction capabilities can be crucial, education of police departments is likewise critical. While this is being done in many, many areas, usually at the local level by ARES and RACES personnel especially after 9/11, it is clear that it is not being done in ALL areas and jurisdictions, witness the numbers of citations given to hams for merely using their rigs from their vehicles. Hence, ham operators need to target local police officers AND THEIR TRAINING OFFICIALS for ham education if it is not already being done and, at some level, inclusion of ham radio within police training agendas needs to be accomplished. From my own experience, this education needs to be reinforced from time to time.

                Other emergency services (e.g., fire departments), emergency managers, and private emergency support organizations [e.g., American Red Cross, Salvation Army]) also need education, but this will also vary widely from jurisdiction to jurisdiction although both ARC and SA have MOUs with the ARRL at the national level. Again, from my own experience, particularly with the Red Cross, the degree of ham radio knowledge varies to the extremes. Continued education after basic education about ham radio needs to be constant and universal across all levels and included within training agendas. I've seen too often a new ARC manager walk into a new assignment and see a few thousand dollars worth of ham radio gear and wondered what it was all for.

                At our level and key to this topic and group, it is important as already stated to educate our Scouts about ham radio through either or both Radio Merit Badge and Technician classes. To accomplish this, we need to get more hams involved within the Scouting movement.

                I'll reinforce one point I mentioned in my previous post: there are a certain number of people who will never get The Word about ham radio, have never heard of it. These are the same people who cannot place Washington, DC on the map. I suspect some police officers fall within this category.

                73 de Fred K2FRD