Re: [ScoutRadio] Fw: "National SOS Radio Network" ready to start, based on millions of FRS "Family Radio Service" radios already in use plus 675,000 ham radio operators across America.

  • Robert Bruninga
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 11, 2005
      ** High Priority **

      In fact the FIRST lesson we give when teaching RADIO
      and FRS to scouts is that they must have a callsign.
      FOr FRS we recommend Initials and Troop number.
      We also teach that they must use an ID when they
      transmit, and this goes along with the 2nd instruction
      and that is that they should never engage in any
      conversation with someone without an ID.

      Without these two rules. Radio is useless.
      de Wb4APR, Bob

      >>> bruninga@... 11/11/05 9:11 AM >>>
      ** High Priority **

      Regarding SOS Radio,
      The number one sentence that should be included in ANY
      such announcement or solicitation to the public or
      in instructions on how to use it is something like this:

      "Unlike cell phones, radios share a common channel and
      must have callsigns inorder to distinguish who is saying
      what to whom. Callers must identify themselves with
      a unique callsign. We suggest your initials and digits
      of your home address. This allows efficient two-way
      communications on a shared channel, and the abilitiy
      for call-back when needed."

      Radio channel chatter between anonymous parties multipled
      thousands-fold will be useless without repeatable-identification.
      I was going to suggest they use their phone number, but
      that might give up too much privacy and could be terribly
      abused. Actualy for emergency use, I would think that
      FULL STREET ADDRESS might be the best callsign for this
      particular SOS application. Because in one phrase, it
      not only gives voice ID, but also location. Both of which
      are very important.

      de WB4APR, Bob

      >>> dominick@... 11/10/05 3:15 PM >>>

      "National SOS Radio Network" ready to start, based on millions of FRS "Family Radio Service" radios already in use plus 675,000 ham radio operators across America.
      "National SOS Radio Network" provides instant, reliable, emergency communications for everyone. Designed to eliminate communication breakdown as occurred in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Ready to go into operation immediately across America.

      HARTFORD, CT (PRWEB) Oct 6, 2005 - In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, it's become clear that a major contributing factor to the tragic loss of life was the near total breakdown of communication systems. Once electricity, telephone, and cell phone services failed, people were unable to let rescuers know of their dire situations -- and died as a result.

      What could be a simple, instant, and virtually zero-cost solution?

      "Establish a National SOS Radio Network (www.NationalSOS.com)," says Eric Knight, CEO of UP Aerospace, Inc. (www.upaerospace.com). "There are millions of 'Family Radio Service' or 'FRS' radios already in use by the public for camping, boating, and hiking, and there are 675,000 licensed ham radio operators in America -- people renown and prepared for emergency communications. The output frequencies of FRS radios are easily received by the radio gear ham radio operators use daily. That's the magic link in this emergency communication strategy."

      Knight went on to say, "The best part of a National SOS Radio Network is that it wouldn't require new laws or any new legislation whatsoever. It could go into effect, today. Once the ham radio community is made aware to listen for the public's emergency broadcasts on an FRS frequency, the national network will be up and running. It's as simple as that."

      Knight has been a ham radio operator (KB1EHE) for over 30 years. To help spread the word about his idea to fellow hams, he said he plans to approach the Amateur Radio Relay League ("ARRL", www.arrl.org), the national membership association for amateur radio operators. Knight said, "The ARRL is a wonderful organization. They knit the ham radio community into a network that fosters education, technology experimentation, and emergency preparedness and assistance. With a positive word from the ARRL, the National SOS Radio Network could spring to life immediately."

      FRS radios don't require an operator license, can be used by anyone of any age, and are available for as little as $14 at all large retailers, such as WalMart (www.walmart.com). FRS radios can broadcast 2 to 8 miles, depending on terrain. And there are ham radio operators in nearly every community in America. (To see how many ham radio operators are in any city or town, visit www.qrz.com/i/names.html and type in a zip code.)

      According to Knight's proposed National SOS Radio Network plan, ham radio operators would rapidly relay the public's emergency needs to local and state authorities -- such as police and fire departments -- as well as to national rescue and relief agencies. As a natural extension of the National SOS Radio Network, all elements of government could also incorporate FRS radios into their communications systems -- for direct, immediate links to the public's emergency situations.

      "In times of public crisis, the basic recommendation is for citizens to set their FRS radios on Channel 1 and transmit their emergency needs, and for ham radio operators to tune their receivers to 462.5625 MHz, the frequency that corresponds to FRS Channel 1," said Knight. "Specific operational details will evolve as the National SOS Radio Network gains awareness. To get the ball rolling, we've posted some operational ideas on a Web site we created: www.NationalSOS.com. We look forward to the ARRL's ideas and feedback, too."

      "With the simple addition of a low-cost FRS radio to an emergency preparedness kit, a family in distress could literally reach out to the world -- and get the help they need," said Knight. "I can't imagine a more powerful tool that could save so many lives."

      "The National SOS Radio Network blends very well with the overall mission of UP Aerospace," Knight added. "It's all about broader public access for a variety of services. We pride ourselves on providing low-cost access to space -- particularly for the nation's college and university students. Likewise, through the National SOS Radio Network, the public can have immediate, life-saving access to emergency and rescue resources. It's truly a public service. We're not looking to profit from it. It feels great to play a role at the grassroots level of America's communities."

      ###

      Contact Information
      Eric Knight
      UP AEROSPACE, INC.