Radio Merit Badge web site

  • W Jeffrey
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 14 6:54 AM
      I put some material together for my troop a couple years ago to help them
      with the radio merit badge. It's now on the web at www.qsl.net/aa6j/radiomb
      . If this is useful you're welcome to use it; if it's not, please let me
      know how to improve it.

      YIS & 73,
      Bill Jeffrey AA6J
      ASM Troop 651
      San Marcos, CA

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 22 8:33 AM
        In Baltimore we have had a 4 day Hostage crisis and the news media have
        had a field day. The police sealed off an entire neighborhood and no
        one could enter or leave their homes for 4 days!

        But the two times I watched the news, both times, the reporter on the
        scene referred to how many of the families (split by the lockout) have
        been communicating via "2-way radios". In both cases, they would then pan
        the camera to a group of such family members, holding a variety of FRS
        radios. Then the reporter would ask a question over the FRS radio to the
        people locked in and they would give a "news report" from the inside over
        FRS. The families with their FRS readios seemed as proud of their toys as
        we hams are when we show our stuff. This was a lower middle class working
        neighborhood...

        My point? I guess I have two:

        1) If you plan on knowing what is going on when the public is involved,
        then you outta have an FRS radio to keep in touch with whats happenin..

        2) Dont be surprised when you show up with your HAM radio HT at the
        scene and eveyone ignores you completely. THey can talk to anyone and you
        can only talk to another ham...

        Yes, we can do it better, further, and with more professionalism... but
        we may have fewer opportunities where that makes any difference...

        "Times, they are a changin..."

        de WB4APR, Bob
      • Ray Vaughan
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 22 9:45 AM
          At 11:33 AM 3/22/00 -0500, you wrote:
          >From: Bob Bruninga <bruninga@...>
          >
          > In Baltimore we have had a 4 day Hostage crisis and the news media have
          >had a field day. The police sealed off an entire neighborhood and no
          >one could enter or leave their homes for 4 days!
          >
          >But the two times I watched the news, both times, the reporter on the
          >scene referred to how many of the families (split by the lockout) have
          >been communicating via "2-way radios". In both cases, they would then pan
          >the camera to a group of such family members, holding a variety of FRS
          >radios. Then the reporter would ask a question over the FRS radio to the
          >people locked in and they would give a "news report" from the inside over
          >FRS. The families with their FRS readios seemed as proud of their toys as
          >we hams are when we show our stuff. This was a lower middle class working
          >neighborhood...
          >My point? I guess I have two:
          >
          >1) If you plan on knowing what is going on when the public is involved,
          >then you outta have an FRS radio to keep in touch with whats happenin..
          >
          >2) Dont be surprised when you show up with your HAM radio HT at the
          >scene and eveyone ignores you completely. THey can talk to anyone and you
          >can only talk to another ham...
          >
          >Yes, we can do it better, further, and with more professionalism... but
          >we may have fewer opportunities where that makes any difference...

          I would add...

          3) The wrong approach is to insult their radios or their use of them. Let THEM mention the range problems, then mention how we handle that limitation. Just for fun, call a 'friend' on the other side of town. That's all you need to do to impress them.

          4) Even if it kills you, don't use ham slang (FB OM 5 over 9 73) in front of them. It just makes us look like a closed group who speaks in codes to keep others confused and out of the hobby.

          5) If the ones you're showing off to are having fun, make our service look like it's fun. Smile when you get a radio check. If you're in a serious situation (like the hostage case) look serious and minimize the rag chew on the air.

          6) If you also have a GMRS radio license, you can talk to them on 7 or the 14 channels. At at higher power levels than FRS. And your FCC license will make you look more official. Or, just get an FRS radio. Then you get all 14 channels and instant compatibility with the general public. That will make you into the communications hero if something bad does happen and you can save the day by being equipped to communicate with someone who needs it.

          As I always say, we're communication experts. Amateur frequencies are just one of the tools in our tool box. Think outside of the box.

          Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE
          KD4BBM
          ray@...
          ray@...
          http://www.rayvaughan.com/
        • Troop 54
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 11, 2000
            Hi my name is max and I will be teaching the radio merit badge at a summer
            camp this summer. any suggestions from anybody?

            Thanks Max.

            http://im.yahoo.com
          • Ray J. Vaughan
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 11, 2000
              A quick Internet search for 'radio merit badge' on Altavista found this:

              http://www.arrl.org/ead/scouthbk/
              http://www.qsl.net/aa6j/radiomb/
              http://www.qsl.net/ae9k/radio.html
              http://www.rulek.com/troop923/merit_badges/radio.html
              http://www.crwflags.com/4rd/mb/radio-r.html
              http://t1250.oao.com/merit/RADIO.HTM
              http://www.neosplice.com/~troop67/mb093.htm
              http://www.mv.com/org/troop-266/radio.htm
              http://www.bytemeusa.com/scouts/radio/radio_merit_badge.html

              I know there' will be a lot of duplication there, but it may be a good start for you. Are you a ham? If not, check with some local hams, you'll need them for radio contacts anyway. Some might be willing to join you in teaching the classes.

              Good luck. And thanks so much for doing this.

              At 06:54 PM 4/11/00 -0700, you wrote:
              >Hi my name is max and I will be teaching the radio merit badge at a summer
              >camp this summer. any suggestions from anybody?
              >
              >Thanks Max.

              Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE, CERT
              KD4BBM PG-7-15266
              http://www.rayvaughan.com/
              ray@...
              ray@...
            • Troop 54
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 11, 2000
                I Currently hold a tech. license and plan on upgrading to general before camp. It sounds like we will have either an advanced or extra class ham up for the three weeks. We are also considering doing the electricity merit badge.

                Max
                A quick Internet search for 'radio merit badge' on Altavista found this:

                http://www.arrl.org/ead/scouthbk/
                http://www.qsl.net/aa6j/radiomb/
                http://www.qsl.net/ae9k/radio.html
                http://www.rulek.com/troop923/merit_badges/radio.html
                http://www.crwflags.com/4rd/mb/radio-r.html
                http://t1250.oao.com/merit/RADIO.HTM
                http://www.neosplice.com/~troop67/mb093.htm
                http://www.mv.com/org/troop-266/radio.htm
                http://www.bytemeusa.com/scouts/radio/radio_merit_badge.html

                I know there' will be a lot of duplication there, but it may be a good start for you.   Are you a ham?  If not, check with some local hams, you'll need them for radio contacts anyway.   Some might be willing to join you in teaching the classes.

                Good luck.   And thanks so much for doing this.

                At 06:54 PM 4/11/00 -0700, you wrote:
                >Hi my name is max and I will be teaching the radio merit badge at a summer
                >camp this summer. any suggestions from anybody?
                >
                >Thanks Max.

                      Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE, CERT
                      KD4BBM  PG-7-15266
                      http://www.rayvaughan.com/
                      ray@...
                      ray@...

              • Bob Bruninga
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 12, 2000
                  On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Troop 54 wrote:

                  > Hi my name is max and I will be teaching the radio merit badge at a summer
                  > camp this summer. any suggestions from anybody?

                  Wow, neat job! I taught signaling merit badge back when I was a
                  counselor. My "classroom" was just a clearing in the woods and a log.
                  For the Radio badge, I would envision a log bench with several radios on
                  it all powered by solar power and a battery (for cloudy days).

                  Tell us where your camp is, and then we should be able to find some guys
                  to help you gather up some equipment. I envision the following in
                  increasing order of complexity and investment.

                  CB radio (should be able to find one for about $5 at any flea market)
                  Kids HT's (Kids 49 mhz walkie talkies, probably already have some)
                  FRS Radios (At least a pair. Usually bought new on sale for under $29)
                  HF radio (Now we are getting serious)
                  2m HT
                  Packet TNC (Connect on 144.39 MHz and you should be able to talk
                  Laptop (worldwide via APRS...
                  UHF HT (5 times a day, you can work the FM Voice Satellites
                  (With this HT as the downlink and the 2mm HT as the uplink

                  Lots of opportunity... SHow 'em the toys and then show 'em the real thing
                  in HAM radio is worth moving up to.

                  de WB4APR, Bob
                • Alan Stumpf
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 25, 2000
                    Question what should we interperate this Radio merit badge requirement since
                    the licensing has changed? Instead of Novice and Technician : Technician and
                    General?

                    7.a.(5) Explain some differences between the Novice Class license and the
                    Technician Class license requirements and privileges. Explain who gives
                    amateur radio exams.

                    How did everyone's Field Day Scouting event go.

                    73's

                    Alan Stumpf, KB3DHC
                    KB3DHC@...
                    http://pages.prodigy.net/aws69/
                    Assistant Scoutmaster Troop 377
                    Greater Pittsburgh Council
                    Enda Lechauhanne 57 | >>===>===> |
                    3rd Assistant Scoutmaster 2001 Jamboree Troop 5?? (RED)
                    North Hills Amateur Radio Club
                    JOTA Committee Chair
                  • W J Jeffrey
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 26, 2000
                      Since the requirement as currently written asks about the (old) two
                      different entry-level licenses and now there is only one, I now ask the
                      Scouts to:

                      7.a.(5) Explain the entry level (Technician Class) license requirements and
                      privileges. Explain who gives amateur radio exams.

                      However, I do discuss with them the General and Extra privileges, and I like
                      Alan's suggestion. The Scouts should at least understand that higher class
                      licenses are available which allow the use of worldwide (HF) frequencies.

                      > From: "Alan Stumpf" <aws69@...>
                      > Question what should we interperate this Radio merit badge requirement
                      since
                      > the licensing has changed? Instead of Novice and Technician : Technician
                      and
                      > General?

                      Bill Jeffrey AA6J
                      aa6j@...
                      Radio Merit Badge web page www.qsl.net/aa6j/radiomb
                    • Bob Bruninga
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 26, 2000
                        I hope one section discusses the Family Radio Service. Describes what it
                        is, what good radio procedures are, and how valuable FRS radios can be in
                        Scouting and family communications. Then finish the section with a subtle
                        list of its shortcomings... as comapred to HAM radio...

                        Same thing about CELLULAR. A scout (and the public) should understand how
                        it works, AND WHAT ITS LIMITATIONS ARE...

                        de WB4APR, Bob
                        On Mon, 26 Jun
                        2000, W J Jeffrey wrote:

                        > Since the requirement as currently written asks about the (old) two
                        > different entry-level licenses and now there is only one, I now ask the
                        > Scouts to:
                        >
                        > 7.a.(5) Explain the entry level (Technician Class) license requirements and
                        > privileges. Explain who gives amateur radio exams.
                        >
                        > However, I do discuss with them the General and Extra privileges, and I like
                        > Alan's suggestion. The Scouts should at least understand that higher class
                        > licenses are available which allow the use of worldwide (HF) frequencies.
                        >
                        > > From: "Alan Stumpf" <aws69@...>
                        > > Question what should we interperate this Radio merit badge requirement
                        > since
                        > > the licensing has changed? Instead of Novice and Technician : Technician
                        > and
                        > > General?
                        >
                        > Bill Jeffrey AA6J
                        > aa6j@...
                        > Radio Merit Badge web page www.qsl.net/aa6j/radiomb

                        APRSdos REPLY/COMMENT:

                        Reply mail addr: wb4apr@...
                        US mail address: 115 old Farm Ct, Glen Burnie, MD 21060
                        See DAYTON97 HISTORY: http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/dayton.html
                        See Maryland APRS LIVE: http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs.html
                        See GPS on ANY radio: http://www.tapr.org/tapr/html/mic-e.html
                      • edinspect
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 3, 2011
                          I am helping with the radio merit Badge offered onboard BB 62 (NJ2BB) this Sunday - 4, December. I will be in the `Shack' from 0900 to 1200 hrs local time.
                          After the presentation in down on the mess deck the scouts come to the shack about 1030 hrs for a visit and on air contact. We try for scout frequencies before hitting the local repeater. If anyone happens to be listening please respond. The radio community has always assisted with the QSO's.
                          Thank you much, Ed-N2PV
                        • michael harla
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 3, 2011
                            Ed,

                            If you let me know which repeaters you might use, I could monitor for a contact.

                            From Vineland, I have little trouble working through 145.390, 146.820, 146.895/192.2, 147.255/179.9, 147.345, 442.300

                            I can also work the BEARS, U of P, and WAN (441.700) linked systems, tho I figure you won't be using them.

                            Sorry I'm not set up for HF at present.

                            Please reply to: n2mho@...

                            73 & good luck, Mike n2mho

                            > Badge offered onboard BB 62 (NJ2BB) this Sunday - 4,
                            > December. I will be in the `Shack' from 0900 to 1200 hrs
                            > local time.
                            > After the presentation in down on the mess deck the scouts
                            > come to the shack about 1030 hrs for a visit and on air
                            > contact. We try for scout frequencies before hitting the
                            > local repeater. If anyone happens to be listening please
                            > respond. The radio community has always assisted with the
                            > QSO's.
                            > Thank you much, Ed-N2PV

                          • Susan Hansen
                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 8, 2011
                              The Lake Huron Area Council in Michigan will be doing the Radio Merit Badge at Merit Badge College at Delta College on Saturday Dec 10.  If we have a HF set up, we'll be on the regular scouting frequencies.  Otherwise, we'll be on 146.52 or .58, or the Bay City, Saginaw, or Flint Repeaters.  We might be able to hit Pleasant Valley.   Badge runs between 8am-4pm.

                              Susan, KB8DSR
                            • Jeremy Drummond
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 14
                                Hello all,

                                I am in a crunch. I need a presentation or material to teach a group of 8 scouts. I need this by Saturday, I taught it last year but that laptop crashed and burned shortly after sadly. I will have 3 computers with me so I have a few back ups :) thanks guys!

                                Jeremy KK4SDN

                                Sent from my MW800
                              • Blaine Kubesh
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 14
                                  There are a few presentations on the net that you can use.  Have you seen these:

                                  Also, do a google search for “radio merit badge filetype:ppt”

                                  -Blaine
                                  K5KUB

                                  On Jan 14, 2015, at 4:37 PM, Jeremy Drummond pergenjd@... [ScoutRadio] <ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                  Hello all,

                                  I am in a crunch. I need a presentation or material to teach a group of 8 scouts. I need this by Saturday, I taught it last year but that laptop crashed and burned shortly after sadly. I will have 3 computers with me so I have a few back ups :) thanks guys!

                                  Jeremy KK4SDN

                                  Sent from my MW800

                                • Elden Morris
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 14
                                    Your best bet would be to go to www.k2bsa.org. They have a power point presentation you can download for the merit badge class. When you bring up the page, click on links. The next page will have the presentation.

                                    Good luck and 73's.

                                    Yours in Scouting,

                                    ELDEN MORRIS, N1MN
                                    Radio Merit Badge Counselor
                                    Assistant District Commissioner
                                    Silver Comet District, Atlanta Area Council

                                    On Wednesday, January 14, 2015 9:13 PM, "Jeremy Drummond pergenjd@... [ScoutRadio]" <ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                    Hello all,

                                    I am in a crunch. I need a presentation or material to teach a group of 8 scouts. I need this by Saturday, I taught it last year but that laptop crashed and burned shortly after sadly. I will have 3 computers with me so I have a few back ups :) thanks guys!

                                    Jeremy KK4SDN

                                    Sent from my MW800

                                  • Don Kunst
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 14

                                      Jeremy,

                                      Here is the PPT slides and workbook used at the National Jamboree.

                                      http://www.k2bsa.net/radio-merit-badge-2/

                                      See if this works for you.

                                      Don

                                      Don Kunst
                                      EMT-P Tactical, BSIT, ASM T151, W3LNE
                                      SCTF IMT, COMT
                                      ShelterBox Ambassador
                                      717-712-9116 cell

                                      I am in a crunch. I need a presentation or material to teach a group of 8 scouts. I need this by Saturday, I taught it last year but that laptop crashed and burned shortly after sadly. I will have 3 computers with me so I have a few back ups :) thanks guys!

                                      Jeremy KK4SDN

                                      Sent from my MW800

                                    • Allan Batteiger
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jan 14