Reinvigorating Rovering...

  • Craig Brown
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2005

      Pat wrote: ->

            “...what do the people here think about a third section for over 23/26 year olds (Venturer/Senior Scouts, Rovers, 'older Rovers')?”

      And; Errol wrote: ->

            “...PERSONALLY, I think that everyone should 'keep their hands off' Rovering and allow it to (be) what B.-P. intended.”

      That is exactly why we started the Rover Scouts Association.

      In the old days... there was the TRAINING phase, where the young man (and now woman) learned the art and science of Rovering.  From that point, they progressed to the SERVICE phase.  There was no upper age limit... and if the older Rover never had the opportunity, he was allowed to go thru the training phase.  Wouldn’t it be great if mainstream Scouting saw the genius in B.-P.’s original Rovering scheme and went back to the future?

      Since this is such an important issue, I have shared it with cross-lists to get the word out.

      Craig Brown

      R.S.A. Secretary

      Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.

      Website:         www.roverscouts.org

      From: roverscouts@yahoogroups.com [mailto:roverscouts@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of oldwolfgilwell

      As far as I can tell, this is being pushed by ISGF as this will increase
      their numbers and thus their income. I was recently involve3d with the Dutch
      age group that has replaced those over 23; PlusSCOUTS they are called here,
      and the object is to limit youth Scouting to 23 years-old and 'force' the
      rest to become PlusScouts/whatever they are being called; Guilds, Scout
      Network, etc.

      PERSONALLY, I think that everyone should 'keep their hands off' Rovering and
      allow it mto what B.-P. intended.

      YITRS
      Errol

      From: roverscouts@yahoogroups.com [mailto:roverscouts@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Vic Branch Rover Council Chairman

      G'day Guys,

      There is a big push from WOSM at the moment to get the NSOs thinking
      about the way they manage the program for their over 14 year olds. One
      of these things is the push to reinvigorate and reinstate the Rover
      program in many countries. Next year I (and two mates from New South
      Wales) will be participating in an International Rover Workshop in the
      Maldives sponsored by the Asia Pacific Region. This will be our major
      chance to give a positive image of Rovering and help shape its rebirth
      in the Region. Australia has been dedicated to the program consistently
      since it was first envisaged, with many of our events and some Crews
      being over 75 years old.

        The current movement is suggesting an upper age limit of 23 or 25, to
      reflect the end of that stage of a Rovers life. Given that this is an
      identified need for Rovering for some people over this age, what do the
      people here think about a third section for over 23/26 year olds
      (Venturer/Senior Scouts, Rovers, 'older Rovers')? This was proposed by
      one of the Taiwan participants at the 2001 forum.

      Pat Mc
      GL Australia