Re: [ScoutRadio] JOTA from Arizona - W7BSA

  • Mark Orlovsky
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 10, 2005
      Milwaukee County Council will be operating JOTA from 10 AM on Saturday to about 3 PM CST. We plan on operating on all HF as well as 2m. Echolink will also be operating look for KC9FYI.

      Mark

      Eric <indianaj0nes@...> wrote:
      Any JOTA activities in the Milwaukee area ?

      Tom Sharp <tomsharp@...> wrote:
      W7BSA Explorer Post 599 from Phoenix will be operating JOTA at two Camporees during the day on Saturday Oct 15.  The Firebird District of the Grand Canyon Council will have it's camporee at Vulture Mine, about 20-miles south of Wickenburg (60-miles northwest of Phoenix).  This is plain dry sandy cactusy 1000-ft AMSL desert, likely hitting 100-deg that weekend.  The second location will be at the Council's Camp Geronimo for the Mesa Mavericks District.  Camp Geronimo is 25-miles north of Payson, 100-miles northeast of Phoenix.  Geronimo is located at 6000-ft AMSL within a canyon against the Mogollon Rim, with 1000-ft red cliffs surrounding the 2/3rds of the camp, heavily forested, and it has snowed on JOTA weekends there.

      Both operations will have HF on the JOTA calling freqs, VHF/UHF to link between the two camps, and hopefully access to a couple of IRLP nodes each.

      Both operations will have a Radio Merit Badge display.  We've used this successfully for several years.  We have a series of about 12 posters hung (maybe on a clothes line or other support).  We have a two page, fill in the blank worksheet.  The Scouts take a worksheet, find the answers on the posters, and complete page one.  At the end of page one, they take the form to the station and get on the air for their contact.  They then take the worksheet home and complete it using the book or other online resources.  Then they meet with one of the adults in the Post or any other Radio MB counselor and review what was learned, teaching the spectrum, etc.  We meet several objectives.  We give a large number of scouts the basics by completing page one before getting on the air, yet they still have to work to complete page 2 and make contact with a counselor, so they have to work and want to complete it.  We usually complete 20 or so in a few weeks, most at our November Scout-O-Rama.

      Is there a listing of IRLP nodes that will be used by JOTA stations, or is there a reflector that can serve as a calling node?

      73 and see you on the air!
      ----Tom   WA9OXY
      http://mail.yahoo.com