JOTA @ K9WIS

  • Brian Cieslak
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2005
      We are scheduling groups of 3 or 4 in time slots of 90
      minutes. The first 15 minutes of the time slot is
      orientation.

      1.A very breif intro to ham radio.
      2.How to decipher callsigns into country locations
      3.Ham radio Q-signals and terminology that they may
      encounter in a QSO.
      4.How to Conduct a QSO
      5. How to recognize a distress signal if they
      encounter one while they are operating.

      They will then have a choice as to the mode they want
      to operate, We'll have SSB, CW and PSK31 avaialable.
      Each scout has 20 minutes for his QSO or he can share
      his time with he other scouts, as long each gets 20
      minutes at the mike or key board.

      At the end of the their opearting shift we'll get
      together for a breif wrap up so they can recap their
      experience and answer some questions that verify their
      understanding of some of the Merit Badge requirements.
      We'll also fill out Some QSL cards.

      We'll present them with a certificate of participation
      that indicates they have demonstrated mastery of
      requirements 3.d 7a.1,2,3,5 and 8 of the radio merit
      badge and that they took part in an international
      scouting event.

      They radio operators at K9WIS are all Radio Merit
      Badge Counselors. If a scout decides at a later date
      to persue the radio merit badge the JOTA certificate
      can be presented to the counselor for credit.

      For JOTA we just want to get then on the air and enjoy
      themselves. The experience alone covers several MB
      requirements. We suspect most of the scouts will be
      here to fulfill the Citizen of the World MB
      requirement but if we make the experience interesting
      enough perhaps they will persue the Radio MB.

      73, Brian K9WIS

      PS The troop that is coming to shack is Troop 599
      (599! Can you beleive it?)

      http://mail.yahoo.com