Here is what I am doing

  • ALAN STUMPF
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2005

      Ok after reading a weeks worth of pros and cons of teaching young scouts Radio merit badge I have figured out what to do. I will be sending a small prereq sheet to each scout. The prereqs will include:

      • For the overall badge the scout must understand the difference between KHz, MHz and GHz. While one can say I can not require this, as it is not a requirement, it is the underlieing knolwedge nessessary for a major part of the badge.
      • Understand the Spectrum (3a-c). They must bring a home(hand)made copy which will be gone over in class.
      • 7a 1and 4, I believe there is more than enough material on the net for the majority of scouts (and parents) to find some of the answers. It can also spur some discussion points.

      I believe if I stress the first 2 points the parents should not be suprised if their son does not finish the badge if they are young. I am not nieve to think all the parents will understand but this should give them advanced warning.

      Does this give a good balance for both camps of thinking here on the list?

      73

      Alan KB3DHC
      GPC
      NHARC JOTA Chair