Re: [ScoutRadio] Digest Number 634

  • William Albert
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2005
      Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 17:29:23 -0000
         From: "Alun" <
      elektros@...>
      Subject: Merit Badge Prerequisites WAS: Re: JOTA around the corner

      Given that I have known children younger than 11 with ham licences,
      and a girl called Dana who got her Extra at that age, I can't agree
      with what you are saying, at least not the way that you have phrased
      it.
      <Snip>

      It depends on what the objective is. If you want to get a bunch of
      scouts who really have no interest in the hobby to take the radio MB,
      then it probably does help if they have covered some of the stuff at
      school. OTOH, the chemistry MB programme did prove to me that you can
      incorporate enough background into a technical programme so that
      anyone can understand it, or at least anyone of scout age or higher.

      I have taught RMB for 3 years.  A few Scouts sigh up because they thing it's a "no brainer" class. (Haven't read the Handbook yet) A few sign up because the "think" they are interested.  And a VERY few sigh up because they ARE interested.  So far out of 4 MB sessions in 3 years with 20 to 25 in each class, I have had only 2 get really interested in Ham radio and ONE got his ticket.

      I do this to foster an interest in Science and Electronics.  I hope that at least some came away with a new look at science.

      William (Bill) Albert

      Amateur Radio call:AD5TD

      Emergency Communications Coordinator

      Refugio County, Texas