JOTA - psk31?

  • wb3lgc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2005
      I'll be on for JOTA as part of our district camporee in Delaware.  Will anyone (else) be on using PSK31?  I am planning on a SSB station and a PSK station, but wonder if the PSK is a waste of time?  How about SSTV or RTTY?  With the wonders of a sound card, I can run all three.  One of my sons wants to try a digital mode...  I hope the boys (with a licence) in our troop will be helping with the station.  Maybe I can get them interrested in upgraging.

      The station will have a simple dipole antenna.  Band should be better in two weeks, I understand.

      73, Steve
    • Fred Stevens K2FRD
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2005
        Steve, I did PSK at a JOTA three years ago and had very good luck with many contacts with other JOTA stations. I could have run PSK all day, but I was at a camporee and wanted to demonstrate all modes. Even in these days of poor propagation due to Cycle 23 bottoming out, PSK is a very viable JOTA mode.

        --
        73 de Fred K2FRD, VO2FS
        http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/K2FRD.html
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2005
          You just gave me a JOTA idea!
          Ill put PSK-31 on a speaker and then bring out
          bunches of laptops from work. Load PSK-31
          on them and set them on a table surrounding
          the speaker. Each kid gets to tune in sigs...

          I guess it is better to run the audio to the sound
          card though, because the kids are too noisy to
          do it accoustically.... hummh.... Bob

          >>> k2frd@... 10/01/05 10:53 PM >>>

          --
          73 de Fred K2FRD, VO2FS
          http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/K2FRD.html

          Visit the Adventure Radio Society: http://www.natworld.com/ars/

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Eric Wolf
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 11, 2005
            The K2BSA station now has PSK-31, and perhaps if there isnt a lot of luck on the bands, we will fire that up.

            -Eric