Re: [scoutradio] Scout Net FRS & GMRS

  • Bob Bruninga
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 11, 2000
      Instead, buy teh Radio Shack simplex repeater ($99) and install it an your
      FRS radio as high as you can get it. Use a radio with PL so that it only
      echos what you want it too..

      Bob
      On Sat, 11 Mar 2000 jeffhburns@...
      wrote:

      > From: jeffhburns@...
      >
      > I am a Scoutmaster that is contemplating setting up a Scout Net for
      > our troop using FRS radios. Many of the boys live in clusters that
      > are close enough that they should be able to communicate using the
      > FRS radios. Some of the clusters are separated by more than two
      > miles, and will need to be bridged by other means. The terrain in our
      > area is very flat. Obstructions consist of homes, small woods and
      > cornfields.
      >
      > One possible solution is for me to use a GMRS radio at my house. My
      > understanding is that a licensed GMRS operator may communicate with
      > FRS operators. My residence is located 1.1 to 3 miles form the
      > clusters of scouts. What is the effective range of a 4w GMRS radio
      > with a FRS radio on the other end? What would the range be if I
      > install an antenna on my 20ft TV tower? In addition, what is the
      > effective range of two 4w GMRS radios. The manufactures all say up
      > to 5 miles, but I know that that is the maximum. What is normal?

      > MAXIMIZE YOUR CARD, MINIMIZE YOUR RATE!
      > Apply NOW!

      APRSdos REPLY/COMMENT:

      Reply mail addr: wb4apr@...
      US mail address: 115 old Farm Ct, Glen Burnie, MD 21060
      See DAYTON97 HISTORY: http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/dayton.html
      See Maryland APRS LIVE: http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs.html
      See GPS on ANY radio: http://www.tapr.org/tapr/html/mic-e.html