Re: [scoutradio] Scout Net FRS & GMRS

  • TJ-wd4nhh
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 11, 2000
      You are right ! I forgot that , but most FRS radios have a wide front

      end and will work ok with someone using a 5Khz dev. radio .

      However the person with the 5Khz dev. radio will have trouble hearing

      the the person with the 2.5Khz dev. radio because the vol. will sound like
      half

      that of a 5Khz dev. radio .

      T.J. WD4NHH
      wd4nhh@...

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 11, 2000
        ....and I thought that FRS was at 1/2 the deviation
        ( GMRS-5Khz, FRS 2.5Khz ).

        > I forgot to add this If you are running 4 watt GMRS and they are running
        >
        > 1/2 watt FRS radio they will hear you much farther away then you
        >
        > will hear them But because they ( GMRS & FRS ) do not use the
        >
        > same Freq.'s ( close but not the same ) this will also shorten your range
        .

        > T.J. WD4NHH

      • Troop 54

        • w7jdb@arrl.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 12, 2000
            >From: "TJ-wd4nhh" ><wd4nhh@...>
            >GMRS Freq's and FRS freq.'s are not the >same . I will list them below
            .

            GMRS licensees (except grandfathered entities) are allowed to use up to
            5w ERP on the GMRS interstitial frequencies which happen to be the same
            as the first 7 FRS channels. GMRS can use up to 50w on the rest of the
            frequencies.

            >GMRS radios are 5 watts (most of them)
            >You will get about 1.5 to 2.5 miles on flat
            > ground .
            >FRS Freq.s
            >1 : 462.5625
            >2 : 462.5875
            >3 : 462.6125
            >4 : 462.6375
            >5 : 462.6625
            >6 : 462.6875
            >7 : 462.7125
            >8 : 467.5625
            >9 : 467.5875
            >10:467.6125
            >11: 467.6375
            >12: 467.6625
            >13: 467.6875
            >14: 467.7125
            >GMRS simplex freq.'s only in list
            >1 : 462.550
            >2 : 462.575
            >3 : 462.600
            >4 : 462.625
            >5 : 462.650
            >6 : 462.675 (Emrgncy / travlers advisory)
            >7 : 462.700
            >8 : 462.725
            >Seeeee  Yaaaaa
            >T.J.  WD4NHH
            >wd4nhh@...
            >Asst. Den Leader Den 3 Pack 301   >St.Petersburg  Fl.

            462.675 is also available for any other GMRS traffic but, is the most
            common frequency monitored by REACT teams.
            GMRS does not use channel numbers like FRS and CB.

            Please go to dougweb.com for more information about GMRS, FRS, and HAM
            radio. here is the address:

            http://www.dougweb.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

            73

            Dave