Re: [ScoutRadio] Digest Number 616

  • Brian Cieslak
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 13, 2005
      Wow lots of good discussion in this last digest. There
      is nothing that says ad hoc committees are exclusive
      to the ARRL. I think there are a lot of good ideas and
      qualified people here to lead the Radio Scouting
      charge.

      I am glad to hear about the K2BSA group. I would like
      to suggest that the old Boys Life Radio club be re
      -vitalized. It played a big part in my becoming a ham
      and staying a ham when the sunspots were down back in
      1971ish.

      Also check out the Radio Merit Badge page I've been
      running for a while though it may need a little
      updating.

      http://www.qsl.net/ae9k/radio.html

      If you want to organize a grass roots effort count me
      in.

      BRian K9WIS

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Brian Cieslak
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 13, 2005
        Wow lots of good discussion in this last digest. There
        is nothing that says ad hoc committees are exclusive
        to the ARRL. I think there are a lot of good ideas and
        qualified people here to lead the Radio Scouting
        charge.

        I am glad to hear about the K2BSA group. I would like
        to suggest that the old Boys Life Radio club be re
        -vitalized. It played a big part in my becoming a ham
        and staying a ham when the sunspots were down back in
        1971ish.

        Also check out the Radio Merit Badge page I've been
        running for a while though it may need a little
        updating.

        http://www.qsl.net/ae9k/radio.html

        If you want to organize a grass roots effort count me
        in.

        BRian K9WIS

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Frank Krizan
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 13, 2005
          Howdy Brian,

          I'd like to know more about the Boys Life Radio Club.  Any memories or artifacts would be appreciated.  I will drop in to National when I get home and see if anyone there remembers the Club.  I presume it was advertised or promoted in Boys Life.

          73, Frank KR1ZAN
          Frank Krizan
          1005 Talley Rd
          Garland, TX 75044

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 13, 2005
            I am a Sea Scout leader (part of the Venturing Division). Many of the
            Sea Scout vessels have good HF radios already in place, in many cases with
            digital capabilities. We have general class or better Amateurs ready to
            act as control operators.

            How do you cooperation from your local councils to promote JOTA (especially
            by exposing younger Scouts to both Amateur Radio & another program option
            within the Scouting program?

            Martin A. Flynn
            Sea Scout Ship 243, BSA
            M/V Seahorse
            http://ship243.org
            ==> The preceding message does not necessarily represent the <==
            ==> position of the Boy Scouts of America. <==
          • Frank Krizan
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 13, 2005
              Hi Martin,

              Since you are a scout leader, I would recommend you contact your District Executive and have him introduce you to the Program Director of your local council.  Councils have various structures depending on size, but, your DE can help you with the best person to contact.

              Download the JOTA factoid from the International Divison (see http://www.scouting.org/international/jota.html ) and give him/her a copy.  It's best to come prepared with a proposal of what your group can do and ask for promotion/publication within the Council (newsletter, District news, Roundtables, email bulletins, etc.).

              At K2BSA (Camp Wisdom, Dallas, TX), we operate from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Sat and from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Sun.  We invite units from the Dallas area to sign up for one hour time slots (they actually get about 45 mins to allow for group changes).  Each hourly segment should be limited to Patrol size (6 to 10 scouts).  When the groups arrive, we have several leaders show give a briefing on what's about to happen.  We ask an adult from the visiting group to fill out a visitor's log (group name, address, phone number, names of youth and adults) and ask the visiting adults to keep order.

              We have operators in the station who find a contact and then take the group (3 initially) into the radio room.  As each scout finishes, he goes back outside and another scout comes in to take his place.  This helps to reduce confusion and noise.

              We promote JOTA as being able to fulfill some of the Cub Scout, Webelos and Boy Scout advancement requirements.  This provides some incentive to scout leaders.

              Hope this helps.

              73, Frank KR1ZAN
              Garland, TX

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 14, 2005
                Frank wrote a very good summary of how to promote JOTA, which is
                very similar to how we do it in Central NJ Council. The JOTA flyer
                (download it from the files section of this Yahoo Group) is given
                out at Roundtable and is sent electronicly on the distrct's e-mail
                list. Units sign-up for one hour slots at our local radio club's
                station. The big exception is when a camporee is scheduled for the
                same weekeknd, which happens about every other year. In that case,
                we go to our customers and set up an HF station right at the
                camporee.

                > We promote JOTA as being able to fulfill some of the Cub Scout,
                Webelos and Boy Scout advancement requirements. This provides some
                incentive to scout leaders.

                For Boy Scouts, don't forget that in addition to obvious Radio MB
                requirements, JOTA is an international Scouting event and thus also
                helps meet the requirements for the Eagle required Citizenship in
                the World Merit Badge. That's a biggie!

                73

                Gary, K2GW
              • Gary Wilson
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 14, 2005
                  --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Brian Cieslak <k9wis@y...> wrote:
                  > Also check out the Radio Merit Badge page I've been
                  > running for a while though it may need a little
                  > updating.
                  >
                  > http://www.qsl.net/ae9k/radio.html

                  Brian:

                  Looks great! Once you get it updated to the current requirments, make
                  sure that www.arrl.org; www.meritbadge.com and www.ac6v.com know about
                  it for links.

                  73

                  Gary, K2GW
                • Gary Wilson
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 14, 2005
                    --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Krizan" <frank.krizan@v...>
                    wrote:

                    > I'd like to know more about the Boys Life Radio Club. Any memories
                    or artifacts would be appreciated.

                    Check the files area of ScoutRadio on groups.yahoo.com for a copy of
                    the Boy's Life Radio club certificate.

                    By the way, that's a good recommendation for everyone who just
                    interfaces with this group via e-mail. Log on to the server and look
                    through the files to see the tons of material available to you.

                    73

                    Gary, K2GW
                  • Bill Stewart
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 14, 2005
                      Venturing Crew 80 is in the process of rebuilding our site. We would be
                      happy to make a link as well, once it is current.

                      73,

                      Bill, W2BSA