Re: [ScoutRadio] Re: ARRL creates Ad Hoc Subcommittee on Scouting & Amateur Radio

  • Allan R. Batteiger
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 12, 2005
      Gary
      Something to think about, for the last couple of years at Ham-Com we
      have had a focus on Scouting and youth. Scouts (BSA, GSUSA, Venture
      etc) in Uniform and their leaders get in free, we have a Radio merit
      badge session (this year I think about 70 scouts got their Radio MB in a
      1/2 day class and after class on air time). This year we also had free
      VE testing for Scouts, if they showed proof of passing an online test
      exam. Lunch was provided, and several stations were setup for on the
      air contacts, these stations were also part of the Hamcom exhibits. It
      would be nice to see this duplicated at Dayton and other Hamfest
      around. We are already discussing the possibility of adding to the
      program for next year to include a No Code Tech class in addition to the
      Radio MB class. If you look at the the requirements once you have
      finished the Radio MB amateur option, you have already covered a lot of
      the material required for the NCT. I do not know how far the ARRL
      ad-hoc committee has looked in this issue, but I think some of us are
      way ahead in the thinking when it comes to Scouts and Amateur Radio. I
      think a session at Dayton, Hamcom and other hamfest to spread the ideas,
      and materials around would be a great starting point.

      Allan Batteiger - WB5QNG