Re: ARRL creates Ad Hoc Subcommittee on Scouting & Amateur Radio

  • Gary Wilson
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 12 8:57 PM
      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Krizan"
      <frank.krizan@v...>

      >This is probably the time to let everyone know that the K2BSA
      Amateur Radio Association (KARA), which is a 501(c) organization
      formed several years ago to protect the K2BSA call sign and promote
      radio scouting is being revitalized by a bunch of us in the DFW
      area.

      > Your suggestions for Field appointments through the League are
      good; however, that's another level of organization that the SMs and
      the League may not want to tackle.

      I already see an interest in increasing youth involvement with some
      sections having ASM's for youth activities, so the time might be
      right in the league.

      >We may want to use the KARA as a focal point for such organization
      and develop a close relationship with the ARRL, National BSA, GSUSA
      and others. Since KARA is a 501(c), this may provide an opportunity
      to gather donations which can be allocated to scout groups throughout
      the US as grants (either equipment or dollars).

      That's an interesting idea, but it would have to be VERY tightly
      linked with ARRL to avoid "balkanizing" an already tiny subgroup
      (Scouters) within a small hobby (Amateur Radio). The goal is to
      increase the number of hams thinking about reaching out to Scouts,
      not creating a small sub-group of the already converted.

      > I think the Ham scouters in the US should do something similar.
      Maybe we could organize something similar to the AMSAT or Digital
      Conferences that migrate to different geographical parts of the
      nation ... or just have a meeting every year at Dayton ... or a
      meeting at National BSA in Irving, TX ... or at a different National
      BSA High Adventure camp ... or just Dayton ... or at the ARRL HQ.

      I attend Dayton every year and they do have a youth forum that
      occasionally touches on Scouting. I supect if we had enough interest
      we could have a seperate one hour forum on Radio Scouting. I
      wouldn't mind organizing it. Topics to start could be 1. Running a
      Radio Merit Badge Day; 2. promoting JOTA, 3. building a station at
      your camp. Any volunteers for presenters? I can do the first one in
      my sleep.

      73

      Gary, K2GW
    • Allan R. Batteiger
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 12 9:15 PM
        Gary
        Something to think about, for the last couple of years at Ham-Com we
        have had a focus on Scouting and youth. Scouts (BSA, GSUSA, Venture
        etc) in Uniform and their leaders get in free, we have a Radio merit
        badge session (this year I think about 70 scouts got their Radio MB in a
        1/2 day class and after class on air time). This year we also had free
        VE testing for Scouts, if they showed proof of passing an online test
        exam. Lunch was provided, and several stations were setup for on the
        air contacts, these stations were also part of the Hamcom exhibits. It
        would be nice to see this duplicated at Dayton and other Hamfest
        around. We are already discussing the possibility of adding to the
        program for next year to include a No Code Tech class in addition to the
        Radio MB class. If you look at the the requirements once you have
        finished the Radio MB amateur option, you have already covered a lot of
        the material required for the NCT. I do not know how far the ARRL
        ad-hoc committee has looked in this issue, but I think some of us are
        way ahead in the thinking when it comes to Scouts and Amateur Radio. I
        think a session at Dayton, Hamcom and other hamfest to spread the ideas,
        and materials around would be a great starting point.

        Allan Batteiger - WB5QNG