Re: [ScoutRadio] Re: ARRL creates Ad Hoc Subcommittee on Scouting & Amateur Radio

  • Allan R. Batteiger
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 12 2:25 PM
      Frank , Gary
      Or you could have the meeting here in DFW in conjunction with Ham-Com
      and event at the Scout HQ, or Camp Wisdom.

      Allan - WB5QNG

    • Frank Krizan
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 12 4:01 PM
        Allan,

        I'd certainly like that, since I live in Garland, and HamCom is moving to Plano, TX next year.

        In order to get the most participation from scouters throughout the Nation, we should hold the conferences where as many varied "teams", parts of the country, etc. are able to attend.  I've often thought that getting KARA organized to coincide with BSA Councils and Regions would allow for "area" meetings with representatives going to Regional meetings, etc.

        Since the National Radio Station is at Camp Wisdom, we could hold the meeting either at HamCom or at Camp Wisdom to coincide with a National HQ scouting event.

        73, Frank KR1ZAN

        Frank Krizan wrote:

        > Gary,

        > Good thoughts.  This is probably the time to let everyone know that
        > the K2BSA Amateur Radio Association (KARA), which is a 501(c)
        > organization formed several years ago to protect the K2BSA call sign
        > and promote radio scouting is being revitalized by a bunch of us in
        > the DFW area.  Since I am currently traveling and won't be home until
        > mid-September, it will take a few months to get the ball rolling.

        > Your suggestions for Field appointments through the League are good;
        > however, that's another level of organization that the SMs and the
        > League may not want to tackle.  We may want to use the KARA as a focal
        > point for such organization and develop a close relationship with the
        > ARRL, National BSA, GSUSA and others.  Since KARA is a 501(c), this
        > may provide an opportunity to gather donations which can be allocated
        > to scout groups throughout the US as grants (either equipment or dollars).

        > For those of you who've ventured onto the JOTA Organizers web pages,
        > http://home.versatel.nl/worldscout/Seminars/seminars.htm, you've
        > probably noted that every three years, the EUs have a RadioScouting
        > conference "over there."    I think the Ham scouters in the US should
        > do something similar.  Maybe we could organize something similar to
        > the AMSAT or Digital Conferences that migrate to different
        > geographical parts of the nation ... or just have a meeting every year
        > at Dayton ... or a meeting at National BSA in Irving, TX ... or at a
        > different National BSA High Adventure camp ... or just Dayton ... or
        > at the ARRL HQ.

        > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
        > Garland, TX (temporary portable in Scarborough, ME)

      • Gary Wilson
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 12 8:57 PM
          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Krizan"
          <frank.krizan@v...>

          >This is probably the time to let everyone know that the K2BSA
          Amateur Radio Association (KARA), which is a 501(c) organization
          formed several years ago to protect the K2BSA call sign and promote
          radio scouting is being revitalized by a bunch of us in the DFW
          area.

          > Your suggestions for Field appointments through the League are
          good; however, that's another level of organization that the SMs and
          the League may not want to tackle.

          I already see an interest in increasing youth involvement with some
          sections having ASM's for youth activities, so the time might be
          right in the league.

          >We may want to use the KARA as a focal point for such organization
          and develop a close relationship with the ARRL, National BSA, GSUSA
          and others. Since KARA is a 501(c), this may provide an opportunity
          to gather donations which can be allocated to scout groups throughout
          the US as grants (either equipment or dollars).

          That's an interesting idea, but it would have to be VERY tightly
          linked with ARRL to avoid "balkanizing" an already tiny subgroup
          (Scouters) within a small hobby (Amateur Radio). The goal is to
          increase the number of hams thinking about reaching out to Scouts,
          not creating a small sub-group of the already converted.

          > I think the Ham scouters in the US should do something similar.
          Maybe we could organize something similar to the AMSAT or Digital
          Conferences that migrate to different geographical parts of the
          nation ... or just have a meeting every year at Dayton ... or a
          meeting at National BSA in Irving, TX ... or at a different National
          BSA High Adventure camp ... or just Dayton ... or at the ARRL HQ.

          I attend Dayton every year and they do have a youth forum that
          occasionally touches on Scouting. I supect if we had enough interest
          we could have a seperate one hour forum on Radio Scouting. I
          wouldn't mind organizing it. Topics to start could be 1. Running a
          Radio Merit Badge Day; 2. promoting JOTA, 3. building a station at
          your camp. Any volunteers for presenters? I can do the first one in
          my sleep.

          73

          Gary, K2GW
        • Allan R. Batteiger
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 12 9:15 PM
            Gary
            Something to think about, for the last couple of years at Ham-Com we
            have had a focus on Scouting and youth. Scouts (BSA, GSUSA, Venture
            etc) in Uniform and their leaders get in free, we have a Radio merit
            badge session (this year I think about 70 scouts got their Radio MB in a
            1/2 day class and after class on air time). This year we also had free
            VE testing for Scouts, if they showed proof of passing an online test
            exam. Lunch was provided, and several stations were setup for on the
            air contacts, these stations were also part of the Hamcom exhibits. It
            would be nice to see this duplicated at Dayton and other Hamfest
            around. We are already discussing the possibility of adding to the
            program for next year to include a No Code Tech class in addition to the
            Radio MB class. If you look at the the requirements once you have
            finished the Radio MB amateur option, you have already covered a lot of
            the material required for the NCT. I do not know how far the ARRL
            ad-hoc committee has looked in this issue, but I think some of us are
            way ahead in the thinking when it comes to Scouts and Amateur Radio. I
            think a session at Dayton, Hamcom and other hamfest to spread the ideas,
            and materials around would be a great starting point.

            Allan Batteiger - WB5QNG