Re: [ScoutRadio] 14.070 MHz discussion.

  • Fred Stevens K2FRD
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 12, 2005
      This subject has been discussed in previous years. EXACTLY two years ago today, the frequency 14.065 was suggested by Sean O'Suilleabhain EI3IP, National JOTA Organizer for Ireland (see message below). Other frequencies between 14.060 and 14.067 have been suggested. However, we did not see any changes because the WOSM JOTA Coordinator preferred not to make the effort; BSA JOTA Coordinator deferred to WOSM, so no other pressure was brought to bear on WOSM. With the addition of the League into ham-Scouting affairs, we can only hope that the combined efforts will bring about a change.

      An additional note: 14.070 is at the extreme upper limit of most CW band plans or, if one reads the band plans from one perspective ("to" instead of "through"), is actually outside the 20m CW range. The fact that 14.070 is on the cusp and was not clearly spoken for by other modes is the reason it was selected for PSK.

      FWIW, the proposed ARRL plans to change the band plans via use by bandwidth, if ever officially adopted wouldn't be effective for a number of years. The time to change JOTA and the international Scouting 20m CW frequency is now before there is even more interference on the PSK-31 spectrum.

      73 de Fred K2FRD, VO2FS

      --
      73 de Fred K2FRD, VO2FS
      http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/K2FRD.html
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 6, 2005
        In a message dated 8/12/2005 9:11:26 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, PA3GVR@... writes:
        I would like to start a discussion on the Scout CW frequency on 20M.

        14.070 MHz is taken over by PSK. If we want to see the recommendation
        of 14.070 MHz change then we need to come with a suggestion.

        maybe the scout freq's should also think about adding the digital modes and slow scan tv?

        73, Steve WB3LGC