Re: [ScoutRadio] ARRL creates Ad Hoc Subcommittee on Scouting & Amateur Radio

  • Bill Stewart
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 11, 2005
      More than that. I believe that a formal relationship between the League
      and the BSA/GSUSA would be in order. Something along the same lines
      as the MOU between the League and the Red Cross except in this case it
      would be an educational relationship.
      I also think that, not knowing the make up of the ad hoc committee, that
      League member Scouters should be more involved in building this
      relationship.
      There are many of us here on this list that are both Scouters of many
      years and League members of many years this pool of knowledge should be
      utilized by the League.

      73,

      Bill Stewart, W2BSA, National Capital Area Council, Colonial District,
      Health and Safety, Chairperson

    • Fred Stevens K2FRD
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 11, 2005
        Bill and Frank both bring up excellent perspectives. I think the only means by which we are going to see any institutional change is via pressure from us ham-Scouters; this Group is as good a place as any as a venue for such change. All of us have a vested interest in both Scouting and ham radio and we are all willing and anxious to see mutually positive changes in both programs. In fact, thinking on it, I don't know of any other organized ham-Scouting group with potentially as much influence as this group. Perhaps we need to start (at the least) an email or letter-writing campaign and muster support at both the national and international levels. (I'm still at Scout Camp and am still pressed for time, but can become more active after camp and this fall.)

        73 de Fred K2FRD, VO2FS
        http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/K2FRD.html
        Free Subscription To OCARG EAGLE, a newsletter for ham radio Scouters
        http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/ocarg.htm for info.

        --
        73 de Fred K2FRD, VO2FS
        http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/K2FRD.html
      • Gary Wilson
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 12, 2005
          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Bill Stewart <w2bsa@c...> wrote:
          > More than that. I believe that a formal relationship between the
          League
          > and the BSA/GSUSA would be in order.

          > I also think that, not knowing the make up of the ad hoc
          committee, that
          > League member Scouters should be more involved in building this
          > relationship.
          > There are many of us here on this list that are both Scouters of
          many
          > years and League members of many years this pool of knowledge
          should be
          > utilized by the League.

          Hear Hear!.

          The fact that the committee spent time reviewing two Merit Badge
          pamphlets that have little to do with the League is an indication
          that active Scouter/Hams from this group need to be involved.

          In addition to a formal MOU with BSA, the league should:

          1. Update the web page on teaching Radio MB to include the Power
          Point slides, workbooks and agendas we have here in ScoutRadio.

          2. Provide an interactive web page for Boy Scouts learning the
          Radio MB requirments. Obviously the hands on stuff still needs to
          be done directly with a counselor, but lots of the "book" stuff
          could be done interactively. Check out my Bird Study MB page on the
          web for some ideas.

          3. Update the Scouts On the Air and Girl Scout pamphlets. Have
          Scouters from here proof them before publishing.

          4. Create 2 JOTA web pages and pamphlets. One for hams and one for
          Scouters who don't know a microphone from a megaphone.

          5. Createthe ARRL field appointments of Scouting Coordinator (SC)
          and Assistant Scouting Coordinators (ASC). Each Section would have
          an SC and each council within that section would have an ASC. Their
          jobs would be to ensure that:
          1. A Radio MB day is run in each Council annually.
          2. That each troop knows of a location to participate in JOTA.
          3. That each parent of a Scout at a Jamboree has an e-mail address
          of an NTS Traffic handler for relay of NTS traffic to their son.
          4. That the local Ham community works to establish an Amateur
          Radio station at every summer camp and ensure that a radio MB
          counsleor is on the staff or available in the evening.

          Other ideas are appreciated

          73

          Gary Wilson, K2GW
          ARRL SNJ SEC, PIO and Life Member
          BSA Forty year Veteran and Radio Merit Badge Counselor
          Central NJ Council
        • Frank Krizan
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 12, 2005
            Gary,

            Good thoughts.  This is probably the time to let everyone know that the K2BSA Amateur Radio Association (KARA), which is a 501(c) organization formed several years ago to protect the K2BSA call sign and promote radio scouting is being revitalized by a bunch of us in the DFW area.  Since I am currently traveling and won't be home until mid-September, it will take a few months to get the ball rolling.

            Your suggestions for Field appointments through the League are good; however, that's another level of organization that the SMs and the League may not want to tackle.  We may want to use the KARA as a focal point for such organization and develop a close relationship with the ARRL, National BSA, GSUSA and others.  Since KARA is a 501(c), this may provide an opportunity to gather donations which can be allocated to scout groups throughout the US as grants (either equipment or dollars).

            For those of you who've ventured onto the JOTA Organizers web pages, http://home.versatel.nl/worldscout/Seminars/seminars.htm, you've probably noted that every three years, the EUs have a RadioScouting conference "over there."    I think the Ham scouters in the US should do something similar.  Maybe we could organize something similar to the AMSAT or Digital Conferences that migrate to different geographical parts of the nation ... or just have a meeting every year at Dayton ... or a meeting at National BSA in Irving, TX ... or at a different National BSA High Adventure camp ... or just Dayton ... or at the ARRL HQ.

            73, Frank KR1ZAN
            Garland, TX (temporary portable in Scarborough, ME)

[...]

            <<< Snip ... Snip >>>

          • Allan R. Batteiger
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 12, 2005
              Frank , Gary
              Or you could have the meeting here in DFW in conjunction with Ham-Com
              and event at the Scout HQ, or Camp Wisdom.

              Allan - WB5QNG

            • Frank Krizan
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 12, 2005
                Allan,

                I'd certainly like that, since I live in Garland, and HamCom is moving to Plano, TX next year.

                In order to get the most participation from scouters throughout the Nation, we should hold the conferences where as many varied "teams", parts of the country, etc. are able to attend.  I've often thought that getting KARA organized to coincide with BSA Councils and Regions would allow for "area" meetings with representatives going to Regional meetings, etc.

                Since the National Radio Station is at Camp Wisdom, we could hold the meeting either at HamCom or at Camp Wisdom to coincide with a National HQ scouting event.

                73, Frank KR1ZAN

                Frank Krizan wrote:

                > Gary,

                > Good thoughts.  This is probably the time to let everyone know that
                > the K2BSA Amateur Radio Association (KARA), which is a 501(c)
                > organization formed several years ago to protect the K2BSA call sign
                > and promote radio scouting is being revitalized by a bunch of us in
                > the DFW area.  Since I am currently traveling and won't be home until
                > mid-September, it will take a few months to get the ball rolling.

                > Your suggestions for Field appointments through the League are good;
                > however, that's another level of organization that the SMs and the
                > League may not want to tackle.  We may want to use the KARA as a focal
                > point for such organization and develop a close relationship with the
                > ARRL, National BSA, GSUSA and others.  Since KARA is a 501(c), this
                > may provide an opportunity to gather donations which can be allocated
                > to scout groups throughout the US as grants (either equipment or dollars).

                > For those of you who've ventured onto the JOTA Organizers web pages,
                > http://home.versatel.nl/worldscout/Seminars/seminars.htm, you've
                > probably noted that every three years, the EUs have a RadioScouting
                > conference "over there."    I think the Ham scouters in the US should
                > do something similar.  Maybe we could organize something similar to
                > the AMSAT or Digital Conferences that migrate to different
                > geographical parts of the nation ... or just have a meeting every year
                > at Dayton ... or a meeting at National BSA in Irving, TX ... or at a
                > different National BSA High Adventure camp ... or just Dayton ... or
                > at the ARRL HQ.

                > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
                > Garland, TX (temporary portable in Scarborough, ME)

              • Gary Wilson
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 12, 2005
                  --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Krizan"
                  <frank.krizan@v...>

                  >This is probably the time to let everyone know that the K2BSA
                  Amateur Radio Association (KARA), which is a 501(c) organization
                  formed several years ago to protect the K2BSA call sign and promote
                  radio scouting is being revitalized by a bunch of us in the DFW
                  area.

                  > Your suggestions for Field appointments through the League are
                  good; however, that's another level of organization that the SMs and
                  the League may not want to tackle.

                  I already see an interest in increasing youth involvement with some
                  sections having ASM's for youth activities, so the time might be
                  right in the league.

                  >We may want to use the KARA as a focal point for such organization
                  and develop a close relationship with the ARRL, National BSA, GSUSA
                  and others. Since KARA is a 501(c), this may provide an opportunity
                  to gather donations which can be allocated to scout groups throughout
                  the US as grants (either equipment or dollars).

                  That's an interesting idea, but it would have to be VERY tightly
                  linked with ARRL to avoid "balkanizing" an already tiny subgroup
                  (Scouters) within a small hobby (Amateur Radio). The goal is to
                  increase the number of hams thinking about reaching out to Scouts,
                  not creating a small sub-group of the already converted.

                  > I think the Ham scouters in the US should do something similar.
                  Maybe we could organize something similar to the AMSAT or Digital
                  Conferences that migrate to different geographical parts of the
                  nation ... or just have a meeting every year at Dayton ... or a
                  meeting at National BSA in Irving, TX ... or at a different National
                  BSA High Adventure camp ... or just Dayton ... or at the ARRL HQ.

                  I attend Dayton every year and they do have a youth forum that
                  occasionally touches on Scouting. I supect if we had enough interest
                  we could have a seperate one hour forum on Radio Scouting. I
                  wouldn't mind organizing it. Topics to start could be 1. Running a
                  Radio Merit Badge Day; 2. promoting JOTA, 3. building a station at
                  your camp. Any volunteers for presenters? I can do the first one in
                  my sleep.

                  73

                  Gary, K2GW
                • Allan R. Batteiger
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 12, 2005
                    Gary
                    Something to think about, for the last couple of years at Ham-Com we
                    have had a focus on Scouting and youth. Scouts (BSA, GSUSA, Venture
                    etc) in Uniform and their leaders get in free, we have a Radio merit
                    badge session (this year I think about 70 scouts got their Radio MB in a
                    1/2 day class and after class on air time). This year we also had free
                    VE testing for Scouts, if they showed proof of passing an online test
                    exam. Lunch was provided, and several stations were setup for on the
                    air contacts, these stations were also part of the Hamcom exhibits. It
                    would be nice to see this duplicated at Dayton and other Hamfest
                    around. We are already discussing the possibility of adding to the
                    program for next year to include a No Code Tech class in addition to the
                    Radio MB class. If you look at the the requirements once you have
                    finished the Radio MB amateur option, you have already covered a lot of
                    the material required for the NCT. I do not know how far the ARRL
                    ad-hoc committee has looked in this issue, but I think some of us are
                    way ahead in the thinking when it comes to Scouts and Amateur Radio. I
                    think a session at Dayton, Hamcom and other hamfest to spread the ideas,
                    and materials around would be a great starting point.

                    Allan Batteiger - WB5QNG