Re: [ScoutRadio] ARRL creates Ad Hoc Subcommittee on Scouting & Amateur Radio

  • Frank Krizan
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 11, 2005
      And, while we're on the issue of correctness,

      It's GSUSA not GSA.

      I'm glad to see some level of interest in the interface between ARRL and the BSA and GSUSA.  There's a great deal going on in BSA regarding Emergency Preparedness/Homeland Security not addressed by the MB requirements.  This wasn't mentioned in the report.  Seems to me that getting someone like Ray Moyer from BSA HQ and someone from GSUSA, along with ARRL, to discuss relationships would also be a good idea.

      JOTA is international, but, let's face it, most contacts are local or national.  I think the JOTA brochures should be revamped for the USA to more closely reflect what is and can be done here at home.  It's fun to contact other countries, but, Third Party Agreements often get in the way.  Many Techs are scared away from participating in JOTA because they think if they can't get on HF, then they can't help.  There's IRLP and EchoLink ... and repeaters and simplex ... and satellites and VHF/UHF sideband.

      Fred K2FRD makes a good point.  International has been reluctant to change 14070 or even add a comment to the frequency.  It's the old NIH syndrone.  I'd like to see the frequency chart changed to a range of frequencies instead of one calling freq.  14290, for example, has a number of nets on it that get stepped on by many JOTA groups.  The US moved 7290 to 7270 to avoid a major traffic net.  How about suggestions for the VHF/UHF bands?  Also, APRS, Packet, PSK-31, etc. recommendations.

      73, Frank KR1ZAN
      Garland, TX (... but portable in Scarborough, ME)

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 11, 2005
        More than that. I believe that a formal relationship between the League
        and the BSA/GSUSA would be in order. Something along the same lines
        as the MOU between the League and the Red Cross except in this case it
        would be an educational relationship.
        I also think that, not knowing the make up of the ad hoc committee, that
        League member Scouters should be more involved in building this
        relationship.
        There are many of us here on this list that are both Scouters of many
        years and League members of many years this pool of knowledge should be
        utilized by the League.

        73,

        Bill Stewart, W2BSA, National Capital Area Council, Colonial District,
        Health and Safety, Chairperson

      • Fred Stevens K2FRD
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 11, 2005
          Bill and Frank both bring up excellent perspectives. I think the only means by which we are going to see any institutional change is via pressure from us ham-Scouters; this Group is as good a place as any as a venue for such change. All of us have a vested interest in both Scouting and ham radio and we are all willing and anxious to see mutually positive changes in both programs. In fact, thinking on it, I don't know of any other organized ham-Scouting group with potentially as much influence as this group. Perhaps we need to start (at the least) an email or letter-writing campaign and muster support at both the national and international levels. (I'm still at Scout Camp and am still pressed for time, but can become more active after camp and this fall.)

          73 de Fred K2FRD, VO2FS
          http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/K2FRD.html
          Free Subscription To OCARG EAGLE, a newsletter for ham radio Scouters
          http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/ocarg.htm for info.

          At 9:30 -0400 11/08/2005, Frank Krizan wrote:
          >And, while we're on the issue of correctness,
          >
          >It's GSUSA not GSA.
          >
          >see <http://www.girlscouts.org/>http://www.girlscouts.org/
          >
          >I'm glad to see some level of interest in the interface between ARRL and the BSA and GSUSA. There's a great deal going on in BSA regarding Emergency Preparedness/Homeland Security not addressed by the MB requirements. This wasn't mentioned in the report. Seems to me that getting someone like Ray Moyer from BSA HQ and someone from GSUSA, along with ARRL, to discuss relationships would also be a good idea.
          >
          >JOTA is international, but, let's face it, most contacts are local or national. I think the JOTA brochures should be revamped for the USA to more closely reflect what is and can be done here at home. It's fun to contact other countries, but, Third Party Agreements often get in the way. Many Techs are scared away from participating in JOTA because they think if they can't get on HF, then they can't help. There's IRLP and EchoLink ... and repeaters and simplex ... and satellites and VHF/UHF sideband.
          >
          >Fred K2FRD makes a good point. International has been reluctant to change 14070 or even add a comment to the frequency. It's the old NIH syndrone. I'd like to see the frequency chart changed to a range of frequencies instead of one calling freq. 14290, for example, has a number of nets on it that get stepped on by many JOTA groups. The US moved 7290 to 7270 to avoid a major traffic net. How about suggestions for the VHF/UHF bands? Also, APRS, Packet, PSK-31, etc. recommendations.
          >
          >73, Frank KR1ZAN
          >Garland, TX (... but portable in Scarborough, ME)

          --
          73 de Fred K2FRD, VO2FS
          http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/K2FRD.html
        • Gary Wilson
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 12, 2005
            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Bill Stewart <w2bsa@c...> wrote:
            > More than that. I believe that a formal relationship between the
            League
            > and the BSA/GSUSA would be in order.

            > I also think that, not knowing the make up of the ad hoc
            committee, that
            > League member Scouters should be more involved in building this
            > relationship.
            > There are many of us here on this list that are both Scouters of
            many
            > years and League members of many years this pool of knowledge
            should be
            > utilized by the League.

            Hear Hear!.

            The fact that the committee spent time reviewing two Merit Badge
            pamphlets that have little to do with the League is an indication
            that active Scouter/Hams from this group need to be involved.

            In addition to a formal MOU with BSA, the league should:

            1. Update the web page on teaching Radio MB to include the Power
            Point slides, workbooks and agendas we have here in ScoutRadio.

            2. Provide an interactive web page for Boy Scouts learning the
            Radio MB requirments. Obviously the hands on stuff still needs to
            be done directly with a counselor, but lots of the "book" stuff
            could be done interactively. Check out my Bird Study MB page on the
            web for some ideas.

            3. Update the Scouts On the Air and Girl Scout pamphlets. Have
            Scouters from here proof them before publishing.

            4. Create 2 JOTA web pages and pamphlets. One for hams and one for
            Scouters who don't know a microphone from a megaphone.

            5. Createthe ARRL field appointments of Scouting Coordinator (SC)
            and Assistant Scouting Coordinators (ASC). Each Section would have
            an SC and each council within that section would have an ASC. Their
            jobs would be to ensure that:
            1. A Radio MB day is run in each Council annually.
            2. That each troop knows of a location to participate in JOTA.
            3. That each parent of a Scout at a Jamboree has an e-mail address
            of an NTS Traffic handler for relay of NTS traffic to their son.
            4. That the local Ham community works to establish an Amateur
            Radio station at every summer camp and ensure that a radio MB
            counsleor is on the staff or available in the evening.

            Other ideas are appreciated

            73

            Gary Wilson, K2GW
            ARRL SNJ SEC, PIO and Life Member
            BSA Forty year Veteran and Radio Merit Badge Counselor
            Central NJ Council
          • Frank Krizan
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 12, 2005
              Gary,

              Good thoughts.  This is probably the time to let everyone know that the K2BSA Amateur Radio Association (KARA), which is a 501(c) organization formed several years ago to protect the K2BSA call sign and promote radio scouting is being revitalized by a bunch of us in the DFW area.  Since I am currently traveling and won't be home until mid-September, it will take a few months to get the ball rolling.

              Your suggestions for Field appointments through the League are good; however, that's another level of organization that the SMs and the League may not want to tackle.  We may want to use the KARA as a focal point for such organization and develop a close relationship with the ARRL, National BSA, GSUSA and others.  Since KARA is a 501(c), this may provide an opportunity to gather donations which can be allocated to scout groups throughout the US as grants (either equipment or dollars).

              For those of you who've ventured onto the JOTA Organizers web pages, http://home.versatel.nl/worldscout/Seminars/seminars.htm, you've probably noted that every three years, the EUs have a RadioScouting conference "over there."    I think the Ham scouters in the US should do something similar.  Maybe we could organize something similar to the AMSAT or Digital Conferences that migrate to different geographical parts of the nation ... or just have a meeting every year at Dayton ... or a meeting at National BSA in Irving, TX ... or at a different National BSA High Adventure camp ... or just Dayton ... or at the ARRL HQ.

              73, Frank KR1ZAN
              Garland, TX (temporary portable in Scarborough, ME)

[...]

              <<< Snip ... Snip >>>

            • Allan R. Batteiger
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 12, 2005
                Frank , Gary
                Or you could have the meeting here in DFW in conjunction with Ham-Com
                and event at the Scout HQ, or Camp Wisdom.

                Allan - WB5QNG

              • Frank Krizan
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 12, 2005
                  Allan,

                  I'd certainly like that, since I live in Garland, and HamCom is moving to Plano, TX next year.

                  In order to get the most participation from scouters throughout the Nation, we should hold the conferences where as many varied "teams", parts of the country, etc. are able to attend.  I've often thought that getting KARA organized to coincide with BSA Councils and Regions would allow for "area" meetings with representatives going to Regional meetings, etc.

                  Since the National Radio Station is at Camp Wisdom, we could hold the meeting either at HamCom or at Camp Wisdom to coincide with a National HQ scouting event.

                  73, Frank KR1ZAN

                  Frank Krizan wrote:

                  > Gary,

                  > Good thoughts.  This is probably the time to let everyone know that
                  > the K2BSA Amateur Radio Association (KARA), which is a 501(c)
                  > organization formed several years ago to protect the K2BSA call sign
                  > and promote radio scouting is being revitalized by a bunch of us in
                  > the DFW area.  Since I am currently traveling and won't be home until
                  > mid-September, it will take a few months to get the ball rolling.

                  > Your suggestions for Field appointments through the League are good;
                  > however, that's another level of organization that the SMs and the
                  > League may not want to tackle.  We may want to use the KARA as a focal
                  > point for such organization and develop a close relationship with the
                  > ARRL, National BSA, GSUSA and others.  Since KARA is a 501(c), this
                  > may provide an opportunity to gather donations which can be allocated
                  > to scout groups throughout the US as grants (either equipment or dollars).

                  > For those of you who've ventured onto the JOTA Organizers web pages,
                  > http://home.versatel.nl/worldscout/Seminars/seminars.htm, you've
                  > probably noted that every three years, the EUs have a RadioScouting
                  > conference "over there."    I think the Ham scouters in the US should
                  > do something similar.  Maybe we could organize something similar to
                  > the AMSAT or Digital Conferences that migrate to different
                  > geographical parts of the nation ... or just have a meeting every year
                  > at Dayton ... or a meeting at National BSA in Irving, TX ... or at a
                  > different National BSA High Adventure camp ... or just Dayton ... or
                  > at the ARRL HQ.

                  > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
                  > Garland, TX (temporary portable in Scarborough, ME)

                • Gary Wilson
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 12, 2005
                    --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Krizan"
                    <frank.krizan@v...>

                    >This is probably the time to let everyone know that the K2BSA
                    Amateur Radio Association (KARA), which is a 501(c) organization
                    formed several years ago to protect the K2BSA call sign and promote
                    radio scouting is being revitalized by a bunch of us in the DFW
                    area.

                    > Your suggestions for Field appointments through the League are
                    good; however, that's another level of organization that the SMs and
                    the League may not want to tackle.

                    I already see an interest in increasing youth involvement with some
                    sections having ASM's for youth activities, so the time might be
                    right in the league.

                    >We may want to use the KARA as a focal point for such organization
                    and develop a close relationship with the ARRL, National BSA, GSUSA
                    and others. Since KARA is a 501(c), this may provide an opportunity
                    to gather donations which can be allocated to scout groups throughout
                    the US as grants (either equipment or dollars).

                    That's an interesting idea, but it would have to be VERY tightly
                    linked with ARRL to avoid "balkanizing" an already tiny subgroup
                    (Scouters) within a small hobby (Amateur Radio). The goal is to
                    increase the number of hams thinking about reaching out to Scouts,
                    not creating a small sub-group of the already converted.

                    > I think the Ham scouters in the US should do something similar.
                    Maybe we could organize something similar to the AMSAT or Digital
                    Conferences that migrate to different geographical parts of the
                    nation ... or just have a meeting every year at Dayton ... or a
                    meeting at National BSA in Irving, TX ... or at a different National
                    BSA High Adventure camp ... or just Dayton ... or at the ARRL HQ.

                    I attend Dayton every year and they do have a youth forum that
                    occasionally touches on Scouting. I supect if we had enough interest
                    we could have a seperate one hour forum on Radio Scouting. I
                    wouldn't mind organizing it. Topics to start could be 1. Running a
                    Radio Merit Badge Day; 2. promoting JOTA, 3. building a station at
                    your camp. Any volunteers for presenters? I can do the first one in
                    my sleep.

                    73

                    Gary, K2GW
                  • Allan R. Batteiger
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 12, 2005
                      Gary
                      Something to think about, for the last couple of years at Ham-Com we
                      have had a focus on Scouting and youth. Scouts (BSA, GSUSA, Venture
                      etc) in Uniform and their leaders get in free, we have a Radio merit
                      badge session (this year I think about 70 scouts got their Radio MB in a
                      1/2 day class and after class on air time). This year we also had free
                      VE testing for Scouts, if they showed proof of passing an online test
                      exam. Lunch was provided, and several stations were setup for on the
                      air contacts, these stations were also part of the Hamcom exhibits. It
                      would be nice to see this duplicated at Dayton and other Hamfest
                      around. We are already discussing the possibility of adding to the
                      program for next year to include a No Code Tech class in addition to the
                      Radio MB class. If you look at the the requirements once you have
                      finished the Radio MB amateur option, you have already covered a lot of
                      the material required for the NCT. I do not know how far the ARRL
                      ad-hoc committee has looked in this issue, but I think some of us are
                      way ahead in the thinking when it comes to Scouts and Amateur Radio. I
                      think a session at Dayton, Hamcom and other hamfest to spread the ideas,
                      and materials around would be a great starting point.

                      Allan Batteiger - WB5QNG