Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [ScoutRadio] ARRL creates Ad Hoc Subcommittee on Scouting & Amateur Radio

Expand Messages
  • Fred Stevens K2FRD
    Now maybe the League can convince BSA and WOSM to get the BSA/WOSM 20m CW calling frequency off the international PSK-31 frequency of 14.070. ... -- 73 de Fred
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 11, 2005
    • 0 Attachment
      Now maybe the League can convince BSA and WOSM to get the BSA/WOSM 20m CW calling frequency off the international PSK-31 frequency of 14.070.

      At 12:59 +0000 11/08/2005, Bill Morine wrote:
      >Dear Fellow Ham Scouters:
      >
      >I am a member of ARRL's National Public Relations Committee. Last
      >night during our monthly teleconference call, our committee's
      >chairman alerted us that ARRL's board created an Ad Hoc subcommittee
      >on Scouting and Amateur Radio. Attached is a hyperlink to that
      >subcommittee's two page report, plus I uploaded the file to this
      >group's file section as a Word document.
      >
      >In reading the report, it appears that the group believes the current
      >version of the Radio Merit Badge curriculum is appropriately up-to-
      >date, but that the Scouting On-The-Air brochure and the JOTA page on
      >the ARRL website need overhauling.
      >
      >Brian Mileshosky, former K2BSA staff member from the 2001 Jamboree
      >and Hiram Percy Maxim Youth Award recipient, is a subcommittee
      >member, but I'm unfamiliar with the other members and their
      >relationship to Scouting. Surprisingly, the ARRL staff member
      >perhaps most qualified to serve this committee, Larry Wolfgang
      >(WR1B), is not the staff liaison. Larry has served on the K2BSA
      >staff for many Jamborees and holds a JOTA weekend every year in his
      >Three Rivers Connecticut Council. He's also active in getting Youth
      >licensed.
      >
      >http://www.arrl.org/announce/reports-2005/july/
      >
      >73,
      >Bill Morine, N2COP
      >Radio Merit Badge Instructor
      >2001 and 2005 National Jamboree

      --
      73 de Fred K2FRD, VO2FS
      http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/K2FRD.html
      Free Subscription To OCARG EAGLE, a newsletter for ham radio Scouters
      http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/ocarg.htm for info.
    • Frank Krizan
      And, while we re on the issue of correctness, It s GSUSA not GSA. see http://www.girlscouts.org/ I m glad to see some level of interest in the interface
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 11, 2005
      • 0 Attachment
        And, while we're on the issue of correctness,
         
        It's GSUSA not GSA.
         
         
        I'm glad to see some level of interest in the interface between ARRL and the BSA and GSUSA.  There's a great deal going on in BSA regarding Emergency Preparedness/Homeland Security not addressed by the MB requirements.  This wasn't mentioned in the report.  Seems to me that getting someone like Ray Moyer from BSA HQ and someone from GSUSA, along with ARRL, to discuss relationships would also be a good idea.
         
        JOTA is international, but, let's face it, most contacts are local or national.  I think the JOTA brochures should be revamped for the USA to more closely reflect what is and can be done here at home.  It's fun to contact other countries, but, Third Party Agreements often get in the way.  Many Techs are scared away from participating in JOTA because they think if they can't get on HF, then they can't help.  There's IRLP and EchoLink ... and repeaters and simplex ... and satellites and VHF/UHF sideband.
         
        Fred K2FRD makes a good point.  International has been reluctant to change 14070 or even add a comment to the frequency.  It's the old NIH syndrone.  I'd like to see the frequency chart changed to a range of frequencies instead of one calling freq.  14290, for example, has a number of nets on it that get stepped on by many JOTA groups.  The US moved 7290 to 7270 to avoid a major traffic net.  How about suggestions for the VHF/UHF bands?  Also, APRS, Packet, PSK-31, etc. recommendations.
         
        73, Frank KR1ZAN
        Garland, TX (... but portable in Scarborough, ME)
         
        ----- Original Message -----
        Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2005 9:09 AM
        Subject: Re: [ScoutRadio] ARRL creates Ad Hoc Subcommittee on Scouting & Amateur Radio

        Now maybe the League can convince BSA and WOSM to get the BSA/WOSM 20m CW calling frequency off the international PSK-31 frequency of 14.070.

        At 12:59 +0000 11/08/2005, Bill Morine wrote:
        >Dear Fellow Ham Scouters:
        >
        >I am a member of ARRL's National Public Relations Committee.  Last
        >night during our monthly teleconference call, our committee's
        >chairman alerted us that ARRL's board created an Ad Hoc subcommittee
        >on Scouting and Amateur Radio.  Attached is a hyperlink to that
        >subcommittee's two page report, plus I uploaded the file to this
        >group's file section as a Word document.
        >
        >In reading the report, it appears that the group believes the current
        >version of the Radio Merit Badge curriculum is appropriately up-to-
        >date, but that the Scouting On-The-Air brochure and the JOTA page on
        >the ARRL website need overhauling.
        >
        >Brian Mileshosky, former K2BSA staff member from the 2001 Jamboree
        >and Hiram Percy Maxim Youth Award recipient, is a subcommittee
        >member, but I'm unfamiliar with the other members and their
        >relationship to Scouting.  Surprisingly, the ARRL staff member
        >perhaps most qualified to serve this committee, Larry Wolfgang
        >(WR1B), is not the staff liaison.  Larry has served on the K2BSA
        >staff for many Jamborees and holds a JOTA weekend every year in his
        >Three Rivers Connecticut Council.  He's also active in getting Youth
        >licensed.
        >
        >http://www.arrl.org/announce/reports-2005/july/
        >
        >73,
        >Bill Morine, N2COP
        >Radio Merit Badge Instructor
        >2001 and 2005 National Jamboree

        --
        73 de Fred K2FRD, VO2FS
        http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/K2FRD.html
        Free Subscription To OCARG EAGLE, a newsletter for ham radio Scouters
        http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/ocarg.htm for info.
      • Bill Stewart
        More than that. I believe that a formal relationship between the League and the BSA/GSUSA would be in order. Something along the same lines as the MOU between
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 11, 2005
        • 0 Attachment
          More than that. I believe that a formal relationship between the League
          and the BSA/GSUSA would be in order. Something along the same lines
          as the MOU between the League and the Red Cross except in this case it
          would be an educational relationship.
          I also think that, not knowing the make up of the ad hoc committee, that
          League member Scouters should be more involved in building this
          relationship.
          There are many of us here on this list that are both Scouters of many
          years and League members of many years this pool of knowledge should be
          utilized by the League.

          73,

          Bill Stewart, W2BSA, National Capital Area Council, Colonial District,
          Health and Safety, Chairperson

          Fred Stevens K2FRD wrote:

          > Now maybe the League can convince BSA and WOSM to get the BSA/WOSM 20m
          > CW calling frequency off the international PSK-31 frequency of 14.070.
          >
          > At 12:59 +0000 11/08/2005, Bill Morine wrote:
          > >Dear Fellow Ham Scouters:
          > >
          > >I am a member of ARRL's National Public Relations Committee. Last
          > >night during our monthly teleconference call, our committee's
          > >chairman alerted us that ARRL's board created an Ad Hoc subcommittee
          > >on Scouting and Amateur Radio. Attached is a hyperlink to that
          > >subcommittee's two page report, plus I uploaded the file to this
          > >group's file section as a Word document.
          > >
          > >In reading the report, it appears that the group believes the current
          > >version of the Radio Merit Badge curriculum is appropriately up-to-
          > >date, but that the Scouting On-The-Air brochure and the JOTA page on
          > >the ARRL website need overhauling.
          > >
          > >Brian Mileshosky, former K2BSA staff member from the 2001 Jamboree
          > >and Hiram Percy Maxim Youth Award recipient, is a subcommittee
          > >member, but I'm unfamiliar with the other members and their
          > >relationship to Scouting. Surprisingly, the ARRL staff member
          > >perhaps most qualified to serve this committee, Larry Wolfgang
          > >(WR1B), is not the staff liaison. Larry has served on the K2BSA
          > >staff for many Jamborees and holds a JOTA weekend every year in his
          > >Three Rivers Connecticut Council. He's also active in getting Youth
          > >licensed.
          > >
          > >http://www.arrl.org/announce/reports-2005/july/
          > >
          > >73,
          > >Bill Morine, N2COP
          > >Radio Merit Badge Instructor
          > >2001 and 2005 National Jamboree
          >
          > --
          > 73 de Fred K2FRD, VO2FS
          > http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/K2FRD.html
          > Free Subscription To OCARG EAGLE, a newsletter for ham radio Scouters
          > http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/ocarg.htm for info.
          >
          >
          > Check out the UK Radio-Scouting page here at Yahoo!Groups.
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/radio-scouting-uk
          >
          > Now that you've got new licensees in your unit, why not have them
          > subscibe to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScoutRadioYouth
          >
          > Visit "Operation On Target BSA" Mountain Top Signaling:
          > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/
          >
          > Great list of Scouting/Amateur Radio web sites:
          > http://www.k1dwu.net/ham-links/clubs.-.scouting.phtml
          >
          > Visit the Adventure Radio Society: http://www.natworld.com/ars/
          >
          > ScoutRadio start page:
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScoutRadio (Email archives - member
          > email addresses - change your subscription details, etc.)
          >
          > Post message: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
          > Unsubscribe: ScoutRadio-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
          > List owner: ScoutRadio-owner@yahoogroups.com
          >
          > SCOUTING and AMATEUR RADIO - FUN FOR ALL AGES
          >
          >
          >
          > SPONSORED LINKS
          > Date idea
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Date+idea&w1=Date+idea&w2=Radio&w3=Scouter&w4=Outdoors&c=4&s=53&.sig=nAOQsP08ZiUlt5p5Ae-CHQ>
          > Radio
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Radio&w1=Date+idea&w2=Radio&w3=Scouter&w4=Outdoors&c=4&s=53&.sig=ySA_0aMG6UZ93Ex_e0hwAQ>
          > Scouter
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Scouter&w1=Date+idea&w2=Radio&w3=Scouter&w4=Outdoors&c=4&s=53&.sig=kEesQvbnslJ7Uvexcbw77g>
          >
          > Outdoors
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Date+idea&w2=Radio&w3=Scouter&w4=Outdoors&c=4&s=53&.sig=RhPQegFpvGoR_9DBbkAECw>
          >
          >
          >
          > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >
          > * Visit your group "ScoutRadio
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScoutRadio>" on the web.
          >
          > * To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
          > ScoutRadio-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:ScoutRadio-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>
          >
          > * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
          > Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
          >
          >
          > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
          >
        • Fred Stevens K2FRD
          Bill and Frank both bring up excellent perspectives. I think the only means by which we are going to see any institutional change is via pressure from us
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 11, 2005
          • 0 Attachment
            Bill and Frank both bring up excellent perspectives. I think the only means by which we are going to see any institutional change is via pressure from us ham-Scouters; this Group is as good a place as any as a venue for such change. All of us have a vested interest in both Scouting and ham radio and we are all willing and anxious to see mutually positive changes in both programs. In fact, thinking on it, I don't know of any other organized ham-Scouting group with potentially as much influence as this group. Perhaps we need to start (at the least) an email or letter-writing campaign and muster support at both the national and international levels. (I'm still at Scout Camp and am still pressed for time, but can become more active after camp and this fall.)

            73 de Fred K2FRD, VO2FS
            http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/K2FRD.html
            Free Subscription To OCARG EAGLE, a newsletter for ham radio Scouters
            http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/ocarg.htm for info.

            At 9:37 -0400 11/08/2005, Bill Stewart wrote:
            >More than that. I believe that a formal relationship between the League
            >and the BSA/GSUSA would be in order. Something along the same lines
            >as the MOU between the League and the Red Cross except in this case it
            >would be an educational relationship.
            >I also think that, not knowing the make up of the ad hoc committee, that
            >League member Scouters should be more involved in building this
            >relationship.
            >There are many of us here on this list that are both Scouters of many
            >years and League members of many years this pool of knowledge should be
            >utilized by the League.

            At 9:30 -0400 11/08/2005, Frank Krizan wrote:
            >And, while we're on the issue of correctness,
            >
            >It's GSUSA not GSA.
            >
            >see <http://www.girlscouts.org/>http://www.girlscouts.org/
            >
            >I'm glad to see some level of interest in the interface between ARRL and the BSA and GSUSA. There's a great deal going on in BSA regarding Emergency Preparedness/Homeland Security not addressed by the MB requirements. This wasn't mentioned in the report. Seems to me that getting someone like Ray Moyer from BSA HQ and someone from GSUSA, along with ARRL, to discuss relationships would also be a good idea.
            >
            >JOTA is international, but, let's face it, most contacts are local or national. I think the JOTA brochures should be revamped for the USA to more closely reflect what is and can be done here at home. It's fun to contact other countries, but, Third Party Agreements often get in the way. Many Techs are scared away from participating in JOTA because they think if they can't get on HF, then they can't help. There's IRLP and EchoLink ... and repeaters and simplex ... and satellites and VHF/UHF sideband.
            >
            >Fred K2FRD makes a good point. International has been reluctant to change 14070 or even add a comment to the frequency. It's the old NIH syndrone. I'd like to see the frequency chart changed to a range of frequencies instead of one calling freq. 14290, for example, has a number of nets on it that get stepped on by many JOTA groups. The US moved 7290 to 7270 to avoid a major traffic net. How about suggestions for the VHF/UHF bands? Also, APRS, Packet, PSK-31, etc. recommendations.
            >
            >73, Frank KR1ZAN
            >Garland, TX (... but portable in Scarborough, ME)

            --
            73 de Fred K2FRD, VO2FS
            http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/K2FRD.html
            Free Subscription To OCARG EAGLE, a newsletter for ham radio Scouters
            http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/ocarg.htm for info.
          • Gary Wilson
            ... League ... committee, that ... many ... should be ... Hear Hear!. The fact that the committee spent time reviewing two Merit Badge pamphlets that have
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 12, 2005
            • 0 Attachment
              --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Bill Stewart <w2bsa@c...> wrote:
              > More than that. I believe that a formal relationship between the
              League
              > and the BSA/GSUSA would be in order.

              > I also think that, not knowing the make up of the ad hoc
              committee, that
              > League member Scouters should be more involved in building this
              > relationship.
              > There are many of us here on this list that are both Scouters of
              many
              > years and League members of many years this pool of knowledge
              should be
              > utilized by the League.

              Hear Hear!.

              The fact that the committee spent time reviewing two Merit Badge
              pamphlets that have little to do with the League is an indication
              that active Scouter/Hams from this group need to be involved.

              In addition to a formal MOU with BSA, the league should:

              1. Update the web page on teaching Radio MB to include the Power
              Point slides, workbooks and agendas we have here in ScoutRadio.

              2. Provide an interactive web page for Boy Scouts learning the
              Radio MB requirments. Obviously the hands on stuff still needs to
              be done directly with a counselor, but lots of the "book" stuff
              could be done interactively. Check out my Bird Study MB page on the
              web for some ideas.

              3. Update the Scouts On the Air and Girl Scout pamphlets. Have
              Scouters from here proof them before publishing.

              4. Create 2 JOTA web pages and pamphlets. One for hams and one for
              Scouters who don't know a microphone from a megaphone.

              5. Createthe ARRL field appointments of Scouting Coordinator (SC)
              and Assistant Scouting Coordinators (ASC). Each Section would have
              an SC and each council within that section would have an ASC. Their
              jobs would be to ensure that:
              1. A Radio MB day is run in each Council annually.
              2. That each troop knows of a location to participate in JOTA.
              3. That each parent of a Scout at a Jamboree has an e-mail address
              of an NTS Traffic handler for relay of NTS traffic to their son.
              4. That the local Ham community works to establish an Amateur
              Radio station at every summer camp and ensure that a radio MB
              counsleor is on the staff or available in the evening.

              Other ideas are appreciated

              73

              Gary Wilson, K2GW
              ARRL SNJ SEC, PIO and Life Member
              BSA Forty year Veteran and Radio Merit Badge Counselor
              Central NJ Council
            • Frank Krizan
              Gary, Good thoughts. This is probably the time to let everyone know that the K2BSA Amateur Radio Association (KARA), which is a 501(c) organization formed
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 12, 2005
              • 0 Attachment
                Gary,
                 
                Good thoughts.  This is probably the time to let everyone know that the K2BSA Amateur Radio Association (KARA), which is a 501(c) organization formed several years ago to protect the K2BSA call sign and promote radio scouting is being revitalized by a bunch of us in the DFW area.  Since I am currently traveling and won't be home until mid-September, it will take a few months to get the ball rolling. 
                 
                Your suggestions for Field appointments through the League are good; however, that's another level of organization that the SMs and the League may not want to tackle.  We may want to use the KARA as a focal point for such organization and develop a close relationship with the ARRL, National BSA, GSUSA and others.  Since KARA is a 501(c), this may provide an opportunity to gather donations which can be allocated to scout groups throughout the US as grants (either equipment or dollars).
                 
                For those of you who've ventured onto the JOTA Organizers web pages, http://home.versatel.nl/worldscout/Seminars/seminars.htm, you've probably noted that every three years, the EUs have a RadioScouting conference "over there."    I think the Ham scouters in the US should do something similar.  Maybe we could organize something similar to the AMSAT or Digital Conferences that migrate to different geographical parts of the nation ... or just have a meeting every year at Dayton ... or a meeting at National BSA in Irving, TX ... or at a different National BSA High Adventure camp ... or just Dayton ... or at the ARRL HQ.
                 
                73, Frank KR1ZAN
                Garland, TX (temporary portable in Scarborough, ME)
                 
                ----- Original Message -----
                Sent: Friday, August 12, 2005 12:11 PM
                Subject: [ScoutRadio] Re: ARRL creates Ad Hoc Subcommittee on Scouting & Amateur Radio

                Hear Hear!. 

                <<< Snip ... Snip >>>
                 
                5.  Createthe ARRL field appointments of Scouting Coordinator (SC)
                and Assistant Scouting Coordinators (ASC).  Each Section would have
                an SC and each council within that section would have an ASC.  Their
                jobs would be to ensure that:
                1. A Radio MB day is run in each Council annually.
                2. That each troop knows of a location to participate in JOTA.
                3. That each parent of a Scout at a Jamboree has an e-mail address
                of an NTS Traffic handler for relay of NTS traffic to their son.
                4.  That the local Ham community works to establish an Amateur
                Radio station at every summer camp and ensure that a radio MB
                counsleor is on the staff or available in the evening.

                Other ideas are appreciated

                73

                Gary Wilson, K2GW
                ARRL SNJ SEC, PIO and Life Member
                BSA Forty year Veteran and Radio Merit Badge Counselor
                Central NJ Council



                <<< Snip ... Snip >>>


              • Allan R. Batteiger
                Frank , Gary Or you could have the meeting here in DFW in conjunction with Ham-Com and event at the Scout HQ, or Camp Wisdom. Allan - WB5QNG
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 12, 2005
                • 0 Attachment
                  Frank , Gary
                  Or you could have the meeting here in DFW in conjunction with Ham-Com
                  and event at the Scout HQ, or Camp Wisdom.

                  Allan - WB5QNG

                  Frank Krizan wrote:

                  > Gary,
                  >
                  > Good thoughts. This is probably the time to let everyone know that
                  > the K2BSA Amateur Radio Association (KARA), which is a 501(c)
                  > organization formed several years ago to protect the K2BSA call sign
                  > and promote radio scouting is being revitalized by a bunch of us in
                  > the DFW area. Since I am currently traveling and won't be home until
                  > mid-September, it will take a few months to get the ball rolling.
                  >
                  > Your suggestions for Field appointments through the League are good;
                  > however, that's another level of organization that the SMs and the
                  > League may not want to tackle. We may want to use the KARA as a focal
                  > point for such organization and develop a close relationship with the
                  > ARRL, National BSA, GSUSA and others. Since KARA is a 501(c), this
                  > may provide an opportunity to gather donations which can be allocated
                  > to scout groups throughout the US as grants (either equipment or dollars).
                  >
                  > For those of you who've ventured onto the JOTA Organizers web pages,
                  > http://home.versatel.nl/worldscout/Seminars/seminars.htm, you've
                  > probably noted that every three years, the EUs have a RadioScouting
                  > conference "over there." I think the Ham scouters in the US should
                  > do something similar. Maybe we could organize something similar to
                  > the AMSAT or Digital Conferences that migrate to different
                  > geographical parts of the nation ... or just have a meeting every year
                  > at Dayton ... or a meeting at National BSA in Irving, TX ... or at a
                  > different National BSA High Adventure camp ... or just Dayton ... or
                  > at the ARRL HQ.
                  >
                  > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
                  > Garland, TX (temporary portable in Scarborough, ME)
                  >
                  >
                  > ----- Original Message -----
                  > *From:* Gary Wilson <mailto:k2gw@...>
                  > *To:* ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com>
                  > *Sent:* Friday, August 12, 2005 12:11 PM
                  > *Subject:* [ScoutRadio] Re: ARRL creates Ad Hoc Subcommittee on
                  > Scouting & Amateur Radio
                  >
                  > Hear Hear!.
                  >
                  > <<< Snip ... Snip >>>
                  >
                  > 5. Createthe ARRL field appointments of Scouting Coordinator (SC)
                  > and Assistant Scouting Coordinators (ASC). Each Section would have
                  > an SC and each council within that section would have an ASC. Their
                  > jobs would be to ensure that:
                  > 1. A Radio MB day is run in each Council annually.
                  > 2. That each troop knows of a location to participate in JOTA.
                  > 3. That each parent of a Scout at a Jamboree has an e-mail address
                  > of an NTS Traffic handler for relay of NTS traffic to their son.
                  > 4. That the local Ham community works to establish an Amateur
                  > Radio station at every summer camp and ensure that a radio MB
                  > counsleor is on the staff or available in the evening.
                  >
                  > Other ideas are appreciated
                  >
                  > 73
                  >
                  > Gary Wilson, K2GW
                  > ARRL SNJ SEC, PIO and Life Member
                  > BSA Forty year Veteran and Radio Merit Badge Counselor
                  > Central NJ Council
                  >
                • Frank Krizan
                  Allan, I d certainly like that, since I live in Garland, and HamCom is moving to Plano, TX next year. In order to get the most participation from scouters
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 12, 2005
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Allan,
                     
                    I'd certainly like that, since I live in Garland, and HamCom is moving to Plano, TX next year.
                     
                    In order to get the most participation from scouters throughout the Nation, we should hold the conferences where as many varied "teams", parts of the country, etc. are able to attend.  I've often thought that getting KARA organized to coincide with BSA Councils and Regions would allow for "area" meetings with representatives going to Regional meetings, etc. 
                     
                    Since the National Radio Station is at Camp Wisdom, we could hold the meeting either at HamCom or at Camp Wisdom to coincide with a National HQ scouting event. 
                     
                    73, Frank KR1ZAN
                     
                    ----- Original Message -----
                    Sent: Friday, August 12, 2005 5:25 PM
                    Subject: Re: [ScoutRadio] Re: ARRL creates Ad Hoc Subcommittee on Scouting & Amateur Radio

                    Frank , Gary
                       Or you could have the meeting here in DFW in conjunction with Ham-Com
                    and event at the Scout HQ, or Camp Wisdom.

                    Allan - WB5QNG

                    Frank Krizan wrote:

                    > Gary,

                    > Good thoughts.  This is probably the time to let everyone know that
                    > the K2BSA Amateur Radio Association (KARA), which is a 501(c)
                    > organization formed several years ago to protect the K2BSA call sign
                    > and promote radio scouting is being revitalized by a bunch of us in
                    > the DFW area.  Since I am currently traveling and won't be home until
                    > mid-September, it will take a few months to get the ball rolling.

                    > Your suggestions for Field appointments through the League are good;
                    > however, that's another level of organization that the SMs and the
                    > League may not want to tackle.  We may want to use the KARA as a focal
                    > point for such organization and develop a close relationship with the
                    > ARRL, National BSA, GSUSA and others.  Since KARA is a 501(c), this
                    > may provide an opportunity to gather donations which can be allocated
                    > to scout groups throughout the US as grants (either equipment or dollars).

                    > For those of you who've ventured onto the JOTA Organizers web pages,
                    > http://home.versatel.nl/worldscout/Seminars/seminars.htm, you've
                    > probably noted that every three years, the EUs have a RadioScouting
                    > conference "over there."    I think the Ham scouters in the US should
                    > do something similar.  Maybe we could organize something similar to
                    > the AMSAT or Digital Conferences that migrate to different
                    > geographical parts of the nation ... or just have a meeting every year
                    > at Dayton ... or a meeting at National BSA in Irving, TX ... or at a
                    > different National BSA High Adventure camp ... or just Dayton ... or
                    > at the ARRL HQ.

                    > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
                    > Garland, TX (temporary portable in Scarborough, ME)

                    >
                    >     ----- Original Message -----
                    >     *From:* Gary Wilson <mailto:k2gw@...>
                    >     *To:* ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com>
                    >     *Sent:* Friday, August 12, 2005 12:11 PM
                    >     *Subject:* [ScoutRadio] Re: ARRL creates Ad Hoc Subcommittee on
                    >     Scouting & Amateur Radio
                    >
                    >     Hear Hear!.
                    >
                    >     <<< Snip ... Snip >>>
                    >     
                    >     5.  Createthe ARRL field appointments of Scouting Coordinator (SC)
                    >     and Assistant Scouting Coordinators (ASC).  Each Section would have
                    >     an SC and each council within that section would have an ASC.  Their
                    >     jobs would be to ensure that:
                    >     1. A Radio MB day is run in each Council annually.
                    >     2. That each troop knows of a location to participate in JOTA.
                    >     3. That each parent of a Scout at a Jamboree has an e-mail address
                    >     of an NTS Traffic handler for relay of NTS traffic to their son.
                    >     4.  That the local Ham community works to establish an Amateur
                    >     Radio station at every summer camp and ensure that a radio MB
                    >     counsleor is on the staff or available in the evening.
                    >
                    >     Other ideas are appreciated
                    >
                    >     73
                    >
                    >     Gary Wilson, K2GW
                    >     ARRL SNJ SEC, PIO and Life Member
                    >     BSA Forty year Veteran and Radio Merit Badge Counselor
                    >     Central NJ Council
                    >

                  • Gary Wilson
                    ... ... Amateur Radio Association (KARA), which is a 501(c) organization formed several years ago to protect the K2BSA call sign and
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 12, 2005
                    • 0 Attachment
                      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Krizan"
                      <frank.krizan@v...>

                      >This is probably the time to let everyone know that the K2BSA
                      Amateur Radio Association (KARA), which is a 501(c) organization
                      formed several years ago to protect the K2BSA call sign and promote
                      radio scouting is being revitalized by a bunch of us in the DFW
                      area.

                      > Your suggestions for Field appointments through the League are
                      good; however, that's another level of organization that the SMs and
                      the League may not want to tackle.

                      I already see an interest in increasing youth involvement with some
                      sections having ASM's for youth activities, so the time might be
                      right in the league.

                      >We may want to use the KARA as a focal point for such organization
                      and develop a close relationship with the ARRL, National BSA, GSUSA
                      and others. Since KARA is a 501(c), this may provide an opportunity
                      to gather donations which can be allocated to scout groups throughout
                      the US as grants (either equipment or dollars).

                      That's an interesting idea, but it would have to be VERY tightly
                      linked with ARRL to avoid "balkanizing" an already tiny subgroup
                      (Scouters) within a small hobby (Amateur Radio). The goal is to
                      increase the number of hams thinking about reaching out to Scouts,
                      not creating a small sub-group of the already converted.

                      > I think the Ham scouters in the US should do something similar.
                      Maybe we could organize something similar to the AMSAT or Digital
                      Conferences that migrate to different geographical parts of the
                      nation ... or just have a meeting every year at Dayton ... or a
                      meeting at National BSA in Irving, TX ... or at a different National
                      BSA High Adventure camp ... or just Dayton ... or at the ARRL HQ.

                      I attend Dayton every year and they do have a youth forum that
                      occasionally touches on Scouting. I supect if we had enough interest
                      we could have a seperate one hour forum on Radio Scouting. I
                      wouldn't mind organizing it. Topics to start could be 1. Running a
                      Radio Merit Badge Day; 2. promoting JOTA, 3. building a station at
                      your camp. Any volunteers for presenters? I can do the first one in
                      my sleep.

                      73

                      Gary, K2GW
                    • Allan R. Batteiger
                      Gary Something to think about, for the last couple of years at Ham-Com we have had a focus on Scouting and youth. Scouts (BSA, GSUSA, Venture etc) in Uniform
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 12, 2005
                      • 0 Attachment
                        Gary
                        Something to think about, for the last couple of years at Ham-Com we
                        have had a focus on Scouting and youth. Scouts (BSA, GSUSA, Venture
                        etc) in Uniform and their leaders get in free, we have a Radio merit
                        badge session (this year I think about 70 scouts got their Radio MB in a
                        1/2 day class and after class on air time). This year we also had free
                        VE testing for Scouts, if they showed proof of passing an online test
                        exam. Lunch was provided, and several stations were setup for on the
                        air contacts, these stations were also part of the Hamcom exhibits. It
                        would be nice to see this duplicated at Dayton and other Hamfest
                        around. We are already discussing the possibility of adding to the
                        program for next year to include a No Code Tech class in addition to the
                        Radio MB class. If you look at the the requirements once you have
                        finished the Radio MB amateur option, you have already covered a lot of
                        the material required for the NCT. I do not know how far the ARRL
                        ad-hoc committee has looked in this issue, but I think some of us are
                        way ahead in the thinking when it comes to Scouts and Amateur Radio. I
                        think a session at Dayton, Hamcom and other hamfest to spread the ideas,
                        and materials around would be a great starting point.

                        Allan Batteiger - WB5QNG

                        Gary Wilson wrote:

                        >--- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Krizan"
                        ><frank.krizan@v...>
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >>This is probably the time to let everyone know that the K2BSA
                        >>
                        >>
                        >Amateur Radio Association (KARA), which is a 501(c) organization
                        >formed several years ago to protect the K2BSA call sign and promote
                        >radio scouting is being revitalized by a bunch of us in the DFW
                        >area.
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >>Your suggestions for Field appointments through the League are
                        >>
                        >>
                        >good; however, that's another level of organization that the SMs and
                        >the League may not want to tackle.
                        >
                        >I already see an interest in increasing youth involvement with some
                        >sections having ASM's for youth activities, so the time might be
                        >right in the league.
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >>We may want to use the KARA as a focal point for such organization
                        >>
                        >>
                        >and develop a close relationship with the ARRL, National BSA, GSUSA
                        >and others. Since KARA is a 501(c), this may provide an opportunity
                        >to gather donations which can be allocated to scout groups throughout
                        >the US as grants (either equipment or dollars).
                        >
                        >That's an interesting idea, but it would have to be VERY tightly
                        >linked with ARRL to avoid "balkanizing" an already tiny subgroup
                        >(Scouters) within a small hobby (Amateur Radio). The goal is to
                        >increase the number of hams thinking about reaching out to Scouts,
                        >not creating a small sub-group of the already converted.
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >>I think the Ham scouters in the US should do something similar.
                        >>
                        >>
                        >Maybe we could organize something similar to the AMSAT or Digital
                        >Conferences that migrate to different geographical parts of the
                        >nation ... or just have a meeting every year at Dayton ... or a
                        >meeting at National BSA in Irving, TX ... or at a different National
                        >BSA High Adventure camp ... or just Dayton ... or at the ARRL HQ.
                        >
                        >I attend Dayton every year and they do have a youth forum that
                        >occasionally touches on Scouting. I supect if we had enough interest
                        >we could have a seperate one hour forum on Radio Scouting. I
                        >wouldn't mind organizing it. Topics to start could be 1. Running a
                        >Radio Merit Badge Day; 2. promoting JOTA, 3. building a station at
                        >your camp. Any volunteers for presenters? I can do the first one in
                        >my sleep.
                        >
                        >73
                        >
                        >Gary, K2GW
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.