Scout Net FRS & GMRS

  • jeffhburns@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 11, 2000
      I am a Scoutmaster that is contemplating setting up a Scout Net for
      our troop using FRS radios. Many of the boys live in clusters that
      are close enough that they should be able to communicate using the
      FRS radios. Some of the clusters are separated by more than two
      miles, and will need to be bridged by other means. The terrain in our
      area is very flat. Obstructions consist of homes, small woods and
      cornfields.

      One possible solution is for me to use a GMRS radio at my house. My
      understanding is that a licensed GMRS operator may communicate with
      FRS operators. My residence is located 1.1 to 3 miles form the
      clusters of scouts. What is the effective range of a 4w GMRS radio
      with a FRS radio on the other end? What would the range be if I
      install an antenna on my 20ft TV tower? In addition, what is the
      effective range of two 4w GMRS radios. The manufactures all say up
      to 5 miles, but I know that that is the maximum. What is normal?
    • Bob Bruninga
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 11, 2000
        Instead, buy teh Radio Shack simplex repeater ($99) and install it an your
        FRS radio as high as you can get it. Use a radio with PL so that it only
        echos what you want it too..

        Bob
        On Sat, 11 Mar 2000 jeffhburns@...
        wrote:

        > From: jeffhburns@...
        >
        > I am a Scoutmaster that is contemplating setting up a Scout Net for
        > our troop using FRS radios. Many of the boys live in clusters that
        > are close enough that they should be able to communicate using the
        > FRS radios. Some of the clusters are separated by more than two
        > miles, and will need to be bridged by other means. The terrain in our
        > area is very flat. Obstructions consist of homes, small woods and
        > cornfields.
        >
        > One possible solution is for me to use a GMRS radio at my house. My
        > understanding is that a licensed GMRS operator may communicate with
        > FRS operators. My residence is located 1.1 to 3 miles form the
        > clusters of scouts. What is the effective range of a 4w GMRS radio
        > with a FRS radio on the other end? What would the range be if I
        > install an antenna on my 20ft TV tower? In addition, what is the
        > effective range of two 4w GMRS radios. The manufactures all say up
        > to 5 miles, but I know that that is the maximum. What is normal?

        > MAXIMIZE YOUR CARD, MINIMIZE YOUR RATE!
        > Apply NOW!

        APRSdos REPLY/COMMENT:

        Reply mail addr: wb4apr@...
        US mail address: 115 old Farm Ct, Glen Burnie, MD 21060
        See DAYTON97 HISTORY: http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/dayton.html
        See Maryland APRS LIVE: http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs.html
        See GPS on ANY radio: http://www.tapr.org/tapr/html/mic-e.html