K2BSA briefs

  • ray@sirois.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2005
      Briefly:
      The K2BSA operation at the National BSA Jamboree
      was headed up by Ray Moyer WD8JKV and many
      others on his experienced management team who have
      been to previous National Jamboree operations. Many
      of us were experienced in Radio Scouting on a smaller scale.
      But we were first-timers to such a huge Jamboree event
      like this one... where 40,000 scouts were at
      the base.

      52 hams who are also registered scouts or
      Scout Leaders were on the K2BSA staff for this operation.
      We were each on one or more of the following teams:

      K2BSA Demo Team
      License Prep Training Team
      Radio Merit Badge Team
      VE Team

      Some worked as demo/operators in the K2BSA station tent.
      HUNDREDS of scouts EACH DAY would come to this
      tent for a 20 minute demo/hands on experience with
      Ham Radio. For most of them, it was their first
      exposure to the hobby-service.
      We had dedicated stations for 10m, 15m, 20m, 80m,
      40m, 2m+440 repeater, ATV
      on several bands, one ATV was attached to a
      Radio Controlled car "Rover" that the boys could
      navigate remotely, Several Satellite contacts were
      made. (The sched with the ISS was cancelled due
      to the extra workload the crew is dealing with up
      there surrounding possible damage to the orbiter.)
      Hundreds of scouts each day got their tour and
      hands-on demo or qso by this team. There was
      even a laser unit to show which had been used
      in some mountain topping qsos.
      There was a long list of equipment loaners/donors and
      station sponsors. We had a 5 element 20m monobander
      which performed great for us in this period of low
      sunspot activity.

      Over 325 hams came by K2BSA tents and signed in.
      These were scouts or leaders who were participants
      who were hams, but not a part of the K2BSA staff.
      A 7:00pm net on the K2BSA repeater each night
      had a large number them checking in.

      Another team was the Merit Badge team.
      This group broke the merit badge down into
      3 one-hour parts (Theory, Practical, and Amateur option)
      and helped over 400 boys earn their Radio Merit Badge.
      Over 100 "partials" were also given out for the
      boys to complete back home.

      Several individuals teamed up to teach daily
      4 hour crash course + 4 hour review+practice
      test sessions for Scouts and leaders who wanted
      to get their license. Many succeeded.

      Six evening VE Sessions were conducted on-site with
      well over 200 indivuduals signing up for exams.
      Over 100 new hams were licensed at the Jamboree,
      plus several upgrades were issued.
      One night there was over 80 examinees to handle,
      and the session went later than 10pm.
      There were about 20 ARRL VE's among the K2BSA staff
      to assist in this testing effort, in many cases after putting in
      a full day's work with the boys program.

      Larry Wolfgang WR1B of the ARRL was among
      the many experienced scout leaders and Ham operators
      on the K2BSA staff.

      I was not the team's statistician, so my numbers above
      are not exact. But at each morning's
      K2BSA Staff Meeting we would brief each other with
      the numbers we had. So, I can pass on the above info
      as an accurate picture of the operation.

      There were no injuries or health issues surrounding
      the K2BSA operation. It was a safe week for all
      those participating in our part of the operation.

      Challenges included: HEAT & Humidity, No A/C,
      sheer Number of participants,
      Transportation delays around the Jamboree's
      many venues, All the K2BSA TX, Fans, Lights, and support
      gear running on one 20 amp circuit breaker.

      Luxuries included: Shower and Laundry facilities were nice.
      Electricity in our sleeping tents.
      Most of us brought fans to help us get cool on our
      cots at night.

      The Jamboree was a great thing to be a part of... a great
      experience. I particularly enjoyed my shifts on the
      Merit Badge team, and engaging the scouts with this very
      stimulating subject matter.

      Ray Sirois N1RY
    • Neil Lauritsen
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2005

        Hi Ray,
        That was an outstanding report.
        As a scouter I helped with as part of a team of amateurs (Scouters)
        who were not Jamboree Staff at A.P. Hill during the second Jamboree held there in the mid 1980's. The mission was to help direct in the busses arriving to pick up the scouts at the end of the Jamboree that year. My troop attended several opening and closing ceremonies for a couple years in a row and we had one of our scouts as a full-time attendee. It is a great experience. Sounds like in spite of the heat that K2BSA was a great success. A big hand to all.

        YIS,

        Neil
        W4NHL

      • frank@fmaynard.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4, 2005
          Ray,

          Likewise, thanks for the update. For those of us who couldn't attend,
          receiving updates via this list, working K2BSA when possible, and
          listening to "QBSA" on the web were the next best thing.

          Hoping to be considered for staff next time...
          YiS,
          Frank Maynard, NF8M
          CM, Pack 54; MC, Troop 407; District Cub Training Chair & Roundtable Staff
          ...and a good old Bobwhite too! (C-23-04)
          Mighty Ottawa District, Clinton Valley Council (10 Year Quality District)
          Novi, Michigan
        • Gary Wilson
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 5, 2005
            Ray:

            Excellent summary! I suggest you send a copy to N1RL@... for
            use by the league while the story is still current. The Merit badge
            and licensing efforts are phenonemal!

            Although I couldn't be there due to work, between QBSA streaming,
            being the other end for three scouts in a twenty minute QSO on 40,
            and forwarding 35 NTS messages from parents in NJ to Scouts at
            Jambo, I felt a bit of a connection.

            Thanks to you and all of the folks for your hard work. See you at
            the Hill in 2010.

            73

            Yours in Scouting,

            Gary Wilson, K2GW